Clarity charging problems

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by dpt, Mar 29, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. dpt

dpt New Member

I've had an ongoing problem with my center gauge charging screen. For the past 6 months the car shows that it is not fully charged although the app shows it's charged at 100%. In the past I was consistently getting over 50 miles per charge and now I'm only getting 44 or 45 on average despite having the same driving style. I've taken my car to the dealership multiple times, they've updated all the service bulletin work and hsvectried to fix the charging problems three times now. Has anyone else had the same problem? Does anybody know a solution? 20190328_074839~2.jpeg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. RickSE

RickSE Active Member

There have been some threads on this in the past. The bar chart in the center console is range rather then charging status using (and guessing on this) 50 miles as the maximum range. It’s winter so your range is lower. The bars should go to the top with warmer weather. Not sure where you live, but all EVs experience a range drop in the winter. I went from low 50s to mid 30s - so I’d love to get back to your range!

4. The Gadgeteer

The Gadgeteer Active Member

Yes. Warm weather.

All of us are affected. You are doing better than most. The battery will do better and you will use less heat (big energy hog) as the weather warms up.
    What has your weather been like?

Daniel M W likes this.
  5. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Looking at the picture of the energy info screen from the center

6. KentuckyKen

Looking at the picture of the energy info screen from the center Navigation Screen, it shows your traction battery is fully charged since you have all bars showing right up to the top. (Center bar graph)

The curved graph to the right is a an estimated EV range indicator based off past driving efficiency. It will decrease with cold related effects to the battery and with driving styles, speed, and road conditions (to name a few). It will increase with warmer temps and more efficient driving styles (slow easy accelerations, no jackrabbit starts/stops) and road conditions (less hills and head winds and snow and rain). Use of cabin heat and defroster will also significantly reduce your EV range.

So it appears your car’s center display is indeed showing a full charge. The EV range estimate to the right will fluctuate with a full charge based on past conditions. For example, from Spring to Fall I was getting 55 to 64 miles EV range estimate (about 4-5 miles less actual) and the worse in the winter was 46 miles (using only preconditioning and seat heater).
    Enjoy your Clarity!

Sandroad likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

Loss of range? I’ve been in the 60’s for weeks now ;)... sorry guys :)

EE050DAD-4383-4979-BE32-BF7217BF84FA.png

9. Tim66

Tim66 Active Member

Didn't you mean the curved graph on the left? It appears to me that the curved graph on the right is the HV range.

Tim

10. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

Looks to me like everything is operating normally and you’re simply seeing some small seasonal variation. @KentuckyKen has the right explanation (with the small correction by @Tim66 ). Your dealer should have known this, but oh well.

11. dpt

dpt New Member

I live in Southern California and have only use the heater in my car a couple of times. The weird thing for me is that this change occurred about 6 months ago, when the weather was still warm.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. KentuckyKen

Whoops. My bad. You’re right. Got my lefty loosey/righty titey backwards.

14. sniwallof

sniwallof Active Member

Dealers refuse to have the Winter/Summer EV battery range talk with buyers, or at least they avoid it like parents dreading the birds and the bees discussion. Winter low EV range numbers is probably why. Not having the "talk" is probably dealer EV (PHEV) ignorance, but I'm not entirely sure.

In the more severe winter climates, max winter range can fall below 30 miles. Winter EV range as low as the 30's of miles is completely normal. Some Clarity drivers achieve really great EV range in warmer weather, 60+ miles as posted above (cool)! (because it's a "guess-O-meter" based on past driving, I'm guessing that 65+ mile EV range drivers do not do a lot of highway 75+ mph driving, even in summer, could be wrong, the Clarity has a lot of nice surprises).

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  15. Tim66

Tim66 Active Member

As the Drill Sergeants used to say, "Your military left trainee." This being a family site I used trainee instead of what they really said. :)

KentuckyKen likes this.
  16. RickSE

RickSE Active Member

65 miles now? Can we get a dislike button added to this forum? :)

Tim66, Daniel M W and NorCalPete like this.
  17. Groves Cooke

Groves Cooke Active Member

I've experienced EV range guestimate as low as 35 in St. Louis. Back up in the 50's for the last several days. Be patient; when warm weather arrives (and it will) this topic will fade away for a few months.

18. AnthonyW

AnthonyW Well-Known Member

Optimal battery temperature is 77F to 95F (the battery itself). It’s temperature is slow to change so you watch it go up as temperatures start to consistently warmer.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

19. dpt

dpt New Member

Thanks for your feedback, appreciate the help.

20. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

The estimated mileage for me is slowly going up. It is now at 39 miles. Whoop-de-do! It has been as low as 29 miles this winter. I have not owned the car in warm weather yet, but I am looking forward to it.

21. If So Equipped

If So Equipped New Member

Question: How can I determine propulsion battery temperature? We have a BEV and are seeing terrible charge rates except after repeated fast charging (the battery likes being hot). Ambient in 60's. Have an OBD-II dongle but no app for Clarity.

22. ClarityBill

ClarityBill Active Member

I am able to see traction battery temperature with an expensive OBDII setup (AutoEnginuity's Giotto), but that is the only one I know of... (I have PHEV not BEV). I have several cheaper OBDII readers that do not have access to that number.

23. Tim66

Tim66 Active Member

The Juicebox charging station desktop app has a traction battery temperature section. Probably not worth changing if you don't have an Juicebox