The next dream Honda EV: The Urban EV getting closer

Discussion in 'Honda e' started by Alantn, Feb 27, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

While I am with you on getting access to this little Honda in the US market, we can't forget that it costs big bucks to modify any car to meet various US and state vehicle regulatory requirements, such as 5 mph bumpers, inclusion of noise makers at low speeds of EVs to help protect pedestrians, etc. And another factor is also dealer support (hopefully better than the dealer network supports the Clarity).

Maybe Honda could follow Tesla, Audi and others and just put up a web site that would take conditional reservations for future US delivery of this vehicle so they can assess demand and whether it would be worth investing the $ to bring it to the US market? If there is a lot of support from the buying public, it would help Honda get its own dealer network in line to support it as well.

I'd sign up.

Lagunatic likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

If there is only going to be teasers and mainly speculation, then I would suggest you wait for some time. Problem we have not had a real mass production readily available model other than the usual suspects. Even the Clarity etc are not available in most states. So if Honda is going to come up with something and keep testing it, then I would say hold off. If a release is due in say less than 6 months, may be it is worth it.

4. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

How Honda introduces their products is very different from other companies. They had already shown the original concept vehicle that wowed everyone but was clearly not production ready (many of the features on that one are not legal in most countries). For all new vehicles, they eventually introduce a mature "concept" vehicle about a year before it goes on sale. These always turn out to be 95% the same as the actual production vehicle. The recent concept is that vehicle for what they call the Honda e prototype. Some clues that this is primarily for the European market: 1) Side-view cameras instead of mirrors. Legal in Europe, illegal in the US. 2) Hatchback. Hatchbacks are very popular in Europe, very unpopular in the US. 3) Short range. Short range EVs have sold reasonably well in Europe where folks take trains or planes for longer trips. The few in the US gather dust on dealer lots. For these reasons, I don't expect the Honda e to be sold in the US at all other then in compliance states but the Clarity may have already taken care of those requirements.

5. Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2019
  6. @Lagunatic, I created an album and added a link in your post to it. This is a much more preferable way to share images than 25 separate posts with a photo each. :)

Lagunatic likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I can't wait for the new Honda Fit EV or the Honda e model.

Domenick likes this.
  9. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

Lagunatic likes this.
  10. Lagunatic likes this.
  11. interestedinEV

Is it correct that it is only in Europe?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Yes, and @insightman is heartbroken.

14. Yeah. With its low range, Honda doesn't feel confident they can sell it in large enough numbers in the U.S.

15. I only drive a 100 miles a month. This would be the perfect car for me. Is there any way you guys with influence can get in touch with Honda of North America and persuade them to have special prepaid orders to North America like in Europe?

16. interestedinEV

Honda has the Clarity Electric with an 89 mile range, but available only in California and Oregon. Very attractive lease terms ($199 a month with $1799 due at signing) https://automobiles.honda.com/clarity-electric

Your better bet would be to get the Clarity electric car sold in your state, that is more likely than getting a totally new car to the US. (However, Honda is not too eager to sell in other states due to the low range), The regulatory approvals to get a new car certified will not be worth it if they do not expect to sell enough. The Clarity Electric may be a little larger than you are looking for.

17. The Honda E can now be reserved in the UK, France, Germany and Norway. Deliveries are said to start in the spring of 2020. That's less than a year away (provided there are no delays)!

Lagunatic likes this.
  18. Honda E Originally Headed For U.S. Market: There's Still Hope

Domenick likes this.
  19. I'm still waiting

Domenick likes this.
  20. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

California Man Holds Breath for 391 Days--Continues Holding

Lagunatic and Domenick like this.