Our Clarity "banned" by Honda from Electrify America chargers.

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by If So Equipped, May 10, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. If So Equipped

If So Equipped New Member

After two power system errors at the same EA site (different chargers), we have been told not to use our Clarity on EA for at least 30 days. The problem is fixed by clearing the code. There appears to be no physical damage to the vehicle. I am guessing that the Honda software "protects" the car after a certain (6-7?) number of failed charge attempts, even though the failures could be a rejected credit card. There are certain parts of CA that we cannot get to without using EA stations due to range issues.

How can we get tech people at the two companies to talk to troubleshoot the issue?

Can anyone suggest an Android app that we can use with our ODB2 BTE dongle to clear the code ourselves? I can do this on a Leaf but clueless on Clarity.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Did your dealer install the "Clarity Fails to Charge or Finish Charging" software update (Service Bulletin 18-097)? I believe that forum members who have had that update have not experienced charging problems afterwards.

4. If So Equipped

If So Equipped New Member

They (both dealers who have worked on this) say that all software updates have been applied. It is a 2019, none of the DTCs for the problem solved by SB 18-097 were involved (the code is P1D4E). None of the dealers have a DCFC charger to test on, even though one of them is the top Clarity BEV "seller" in CA, according to a former Honda employee.

5. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that you drive a Clarity Electric (BEV), then? Most Clarity owners commenting on the InsideEVs Forum drive a Clarity PHEV.

Nice to know the Clarity Electric isn't as rare as unicorns after all!
    :D

6. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

I read the title of this thread and thought to myself that heck we can't use any Electrify America charging stations anyway since they only support DCFC and Chademo. But then the dim light bulb went off in my head about the BEV Clarities running around in CA.

Our PHEV 'fast charge' stations are the local 7-11 gas station down the block. :)

7. To remove this ad click here.