Slow speed follow (ACC)

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Front Row, Apr 30, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Front Row

Front Row Member

This is my first car with slow speed follow and I find the ride not very smooth, the car is slow to speed up and when it brakes it feels like it's stomping on the brake pedal.

My 17 mile commute in So Cal traffic means I drive in lots of traffic, took me 45 minutes today, that's 22 miles per hour average, in the car pool lane!

I'm curious if other ACC systems are this "choppy"?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

Turn the follow distance to the minimum and it greatly improves.

fotomoto likes this.
  4. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

Try either taking it out of Econ, or putting it in sport mode. That should help the speed up.

fotomoto and tterag like this.
  5. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

Econ - slowest throttle response
    Normal - slow throttle response
    Sport - better throttle response

Sent from my SM-N960U using Inside EVs mobile app

tterag likes this.
  6. Front Row

Front Row Member

I'll try the different modes but it's the hard braking that bugs me the most, do other ACC equipped cars behave like this?

I do have it set for minimum follow distance.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. TeeVee

TeeVee New Member

I find it okay for non-stop-n-go on the freeway, but it gives me a headache in stop-n-go traffic with the constant acceleration followed by quick stop. The acceleration is slow to start, but then it overshoots and has to quick stop. The LSF can't creep and follow.

I think other ACC would be similar since the technology is mostly provided by the same company (Mobileye). Maybe Tesla is different since they now use their own technology.

9. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

Putting it in Sport mode from eco mode was night and day for me. Sport Mode makes it work drastically better.

As far as the braking, it is what it is. You'll get used to it.

I use this feature in my lengthy daily Socal commute and it is a Godsend.

It has drastically improved my life, and I'm not exaggerating.

10. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

Honda didn’t program the ACC feature very well IMO. I don’t ever use it in stop and go traffic, and I “help” it even at higher speeds. Many other manufactures systems are far better than Hondas is. A decade from now I am certain it will be smoother and will work better. To me this is a typical early version for such a feature. It works, just not great. It is what it is.

David Towle likes this.
  11. tterag

tterag Member

Switching to Sport in heavy traffic and in town works much better and feels more “normal” to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. S L .

S L . Active Member

Everyone has diff opinion on this. I put it in econ mode and think the jerkiness went away.

14. jorgie393

jorgie393 Well-Known Member

Key to happiness with the ACC follow:

Have very limited expectations. Then you’ll be happy when it works. I’m not kidding-I think there’s a limited set of scenarios where it works well, as long as you restrict to those you’ll be happier. I happen to love it.

You also can learn when it’s about to brake too hard for your taste and gently touch the accelerator (Assuming you in fact have a following distance that you are comfortable with, even if the car thinks it’s too short).. This suppresses the ACC entirely And prevents the hard braking.

I do this when I see someone cutting in ahead of me and I know the ACC is going to slam on the brakes. I’m comfortable riding up on them just a little bit and then easing off.

MPower and KentuckyKen like this.
  15. Electra

Electra Active Member

The ProPilot ACC works very well in my Nissan Leaf. It's probably a step above Honda/Toyota.

16. stacey burke

stacey burke Active Member

I will give the way I drive ACC.. After I have set the ACC I look ahead for traffic and as they slow down I use the regain paddles, when they move I press the resume. I am in control of my car and use the ACC to make it easier to drive. When I have come to a complete stop I use the gas to about 10mpg and press the resume. This has worked great in heavy traffic...

insightman likes this.