New Clarity Owner. Have some questions.

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by M. Shah, Apr 28, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. M. Shah

M. Shah Member

I just bought a new 2018 Clarity PHEV. My previous 2 cars were Ford CMAX Energi and Ford Fusion so I am aware of how PHEVs work. I am 6'2" and the space in the Clarity blew me away. After driving it about 150 miles I am really doubting my decision for the reasons below.

1. Drivers seat is UNCOMFORTABLE. After an hour or so my legs went numb and back was hurting. I tried a lot of positions in the seat and nothing seems to work. Any ideas? WHile test driving the car, I drove it for 10 minutes so I was unable to feel anything.
    2. I miss Blind spot! How hard was it to have a blind spot as opposed to the camera! I am trying to get used to it.
    3. It snowed in Chicago yesterday and I notices the vents under the windshield do not go across the windshield leading to fogging up of the windshield in the corners.
    4. The info entertainment system is a terrible interface. I had sync 3 in my fords and that was miles better. I will try android auto and see if it helps. Just navigating is very clunky!
    5. The app sucks! I cannot set the time I want my car to be ready by. With Ford I would set a go time for 5:50 AM and depending upon how much charge I had in the car, the car would start charging automatically to be completely charged at 5:50AM.
    6. No auto wipers. This is a 35K car. While driving another car flew by me dumping snow all over my windshield and I could see nothing for a second cause I was looking for the wiper switch.

I love the looks of the car, how roomy it is, and the EV range. I can start living with the other issues, however I really need the seat to be more comfortable.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Can’t help with most of the shortcomings, but I can offer a suggestion for the lack of blind spot monitoring/camera.
    Someone posted info from Car Talk that fixes it for me. You can search Car Talk for the original information.

Most of us have been adjusting the driver’s side mirror incorrectly to give a view straight down the side of the car with a thin slice of the side is the car visible. That’s how I’ve done it all my life. Seems that’s the wrong way. The “right” way is to adjust it more outwards so that you can’t see the side of the car. You loose a little view right next to the car but you don’t need it since the center rear view mirror picks that part up. Adjusted this way eliminates the blind spot since before a passing car leaves the view in the center rear view, it has already appeared in the driver’s side mirror.
    Perfect solution. Now if I could only redo the last 50 years of doing it wrong.

K8QM likes this.
  4. jorgie393

jorgie393 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear there are multiple bad fits. I have driven all winter in Boston and never had any trouble with the corners fogging, so that is strange.

Regarding the seat: is this a touring or a standard? I came from an accord which had a slightly longer seat in the clarity seat felt a little short to me therefore. As a result, I got the touring specifically because it allows adjustment of seat tilt whereas the basic trim does not. This is one of the least-known differences between the trims. Not sure how that would help for you if you have a basic but I found the tilting the front up made it feel more like my old accord. However, never any serious trouble at 5’10”.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

A big chunk of that money goes towards a really big battery.

6. M. Shah

M. Shah Member

It is a touring. I can work with all the other short comings and hoping that the seats get comfortable. I will try the tilt and see if it helps. I wanted to see if others had the same issue.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

If you are having any fogging, make sure you are set for fresh air rather than recirculating air. If still having issues, press CLIMATE and confirm A/C is enabled. It should default to these if you press AUTO.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Inside EVs mobile app

9. Ergonomics are SO individual.

That said, we have a base model and the seats are fine. We’ve done several long trips, including a 14 hour drive to FL, and never found the seats to be the least bit uncomfortable. My only mod is a mesh lumbar support, that I install in all our vehicles.

10. Richard_arch74

Richard_arch74 Active Member

I have had several previous cars/SUV's that I found didn't fit my back side after driving for a few hours. What I have done is buy 2" thick memory foam, put it in a pillowcase and sit on that. It helps, but still not ideal. Fortunately, for me, the Clarity happens to fit my back side.
    Sent from my SM-G955U using Inside EVs mobile app

11. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

So my 2 cents is that "reasons for doubt" 2-6 are things you can get used to or live with. But reason 1 is a deal-breaker. I made the mistake once of buying a pickup truck after too short of a test drive. On a longer drive, it was uncomfortable and unlivable. I sold it at a loss after less than a month. I made the decision that money was not as important as my being able to live with a vehicle without pain. If you didn't take a long enough test drive to make sure the Clarity fit you comfortably, I don't think there is anything you can do about that. It's more than just height; it's leg length, arm length, weight, torso length, neck length, flexibility, width, shape, and pre-conditions that pre-dispose you to problems and probably many other factors. If your legs go numb and your back hurts after only 60 minutes, you have the wrong vehicle. You can try some seat supports/cushions etc to see if you can avoid pinching a nerve or causing back pain, but unless that works, you may want to seriously consider selling it.

M. Shah likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

Regarding drivers seat uncomfortable: Some years back I was having some back problems. The doctor I visited at the time sold me a back-board (it's stiff) and designed to go infront of any seat, then you sit against it. I'm sorry I don't know much about it, but I presume it forces a bit of lumbar support and keeping your back in a better position. I've used the same board on my truck and the Clarity with good results. For short trips it doesn't seem to matter one way or another, but if you put in an 8 hour day of driving or a long day of driving it really makes a difference.

So long story short, there may be a after-market 'board' or other piece you can add that makes you happier with the seat. I don't generally find the drivers seat uncomfortable. I got the touring edition which has a multi-way adjust that's electric, with seat position memory for 2 drivers. I absolutely love that feature (and yes I realize many cars can do this) but Clarity is the first car I've owned with the seat position memory. Works great given that my wife is petite and I am large.

And yes, I do understand what a big deal this is. i.e. if you cannot fix it, you'll need a different vehicle as Sandroad suggests. Sorry to hear it.

14. Johnhaydev

Johnhaydev Active Member

15. M. Shah

M. Shah Member

Thank you guys. I will get one of the lumber support pillows first and see if it makes a difference. I think the seat is high as it is to add a cushion at the bottom.

16. neal adkins

neal adkins Active Member

I have a 2018 touring and im also tall. But i like the seat with all the adjustments. You may want to check your tire pressure as this can effect the ride. They are usually over inflated. Mine were at 50psi.

17. tom kirshbaum

tom kirshbaum New Member

Years ago Click and Clack, the Maillozzi Brothers aka the Tappet Brothers on Car Talk had an argument about this. Ray, I think it was, pointed out “that’s why they call it a ‘blind spot’ mirror.”

I was intrigued and went out and experimented. I’ve been using it for the blind spot, and using the “rear view” mirror for viewing the rear view, ever since. It should work as well on the right side but for some reason I’ve never been able to trust it.

18. ClarityDoc

ClarityDoc Active Member

About the mirrors: I was taught to put my head against the driver's window, then adjust the mirror on that side so that I can barely see the side of the car. Then tilt my shoulders & head similarly to the right - so that my head is above the center console - and set the right mirror so that I can barely see the side of the car. Works great, and if I lean I can reassure myself.

BTW, I'm 6'5", have driven 8000 miles so far (on ~20 gallons of gas) and find the car very comfortable. No doubt every person has their own experience, but I don't think it's just a short person's car. Just glad they didn't sacrifice head room for a sunroof.

Sent using Inside EVs mobile app

19. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

My base seat becomes uncomfortable after about 4 hours, but its better than when I first got the car. I'm 6 ft 2", 165 pounds and have put 14,000 miles on the car in 6 months. I've found generally seats do get better as the foam shapes to fit your butt and legs (assuming you are the main driver).

20. Groves Cooke

Groves Cooke Active Member

Sorry about the uncomfortable seat. I have experienced that in other cars but no the Clarity. I have never been able to take a long enough test drive to evaluate this problem.I would try some of the orthopedic supports mentioned above.

21. LAF

LAF Active Member

Actually its a 25-28K car after rebates!

22. 2002

2002 Well-Known Member

The Prius Prime can also schedule a completion time like your Ford. The reason people like that feature is because supposedly for battery life it is not good for a battery to sit fully charged, that it is better to reach full charge shortly before departing. However I'm a bit dubious about that because I assume that the battery is never fully charged even when it says 100%, just as on the low end the battery is never fully depleted even when it says 0%, in order to extend battery life. On the Prime forums they confirmed this about the Prime, they were all about measuring the kWh going in and out of their cars and comparing that to the stated battery capacity and I think they estimated that even on a brand new vehicle it was only using 80% of the battery capacity or something like that. I would assume Clarity uses a similar strategy, so unless you are charging your car in direct sunlight on a hot day I would think it's safe to fully charge several hours before you will be driving.

That's what I was told also, although I found that it was putting a grease spot on my window :eek: so I don't put my head all the way against the window anymore :). Also one thing they never mention, maybe because it is so obvious, is that after setting the mirrors you should test how they work by noticing cars as they pass you on the left and right to see when they go in and of view. Good to do this at night also since normally you will only be seeing their headlights. After making these observations further adjustment to the mirrors can be made to minimize the blind spots.

23. I'm guessing you didn't get the touring package, you can always buy those butt pillows which will support your legs. The infotainment system is **** on all hondas, not a surprise. But the clarity drives like a great car itself, also it's a Japanese car...so not really designed for an extremely tall person.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Inside EVs mobile app