‘19 vs. ‘18 Clarity plug in: any improvements?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by tom kirshbaum, Apr 29, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. tom kirshbaum

tom kirshbaum New Member

Does anyone know for sure whether there are any fixes or tweaks in the new Clarity PHEV?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

Nobody knows for sure. Nothing apparent.

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

No one has found any differences other than the 2019 serial numbers. Hopefully, all the Service Bulletin software (and one hardware) updates have been applied, but no other physical differences have been discovered.

5. tom kirshbaum

tom kirshbaum New Member

Not to my satisfaction. One forum member said a tech had pointed out some improvements to him (her) but didn’t get around to telling us what they were. Might be a mistake. We’ve heard a lot of what forum members understand, or have heard, or think, or have been able to discern. That’s all rumor. Honda says it intends to continue with the model unchanged, but that doesn’t mean no internal improvements, does it? I asked again because I was planning to pull the trigger today, hoping for one last crumb of factual info. Still sort of planning to but hesitating.

I’ve never bought a car in my life without some regret, starting with a ‘59 (?) Austin Healy 2800. A few months later the magnificent 3000 came out. Same price, I think. Made my car chopped liver. Ouch.

Josh Billings said “It ain’t what you don’t know that causes all the trouble. It’s what you do know that ain’t so.”

Fotomoto is right, though. It’s time to give up on this subject.

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. 2002

2002 Well-Known Member

I also am not normally a "last year's model" buyer because of potential known and unknown improvements and I don't mind spending a few hundred dollars more on the newer model even if there are no apparent changes. However I bought my 2018 Touring last Thursday for four reasons - 1. There are no 2019's available yet in Georgia or neighboring states, or if there are they are extremely scarce. 2. The fantastic factory incentives seem to be for residents of ZEV states only. 3. Apparently there really are no changes in 2019, at least nothing obvious. Presumably important internal changes will be available via recall for 2018 models, although that's not a given. 4. In non-ZEV states, like Georgia where I live, MSRP discounts of more than 2-3K were difficult to come by. Then all of a sudden 7-8K discounts became available on 2018 models. I found a relatively recently manufactured car (Nov 2018) in the color that I wanted at 7.6K off of MSRP.

So now I am officially a "last year's model" buyer.

Mowcowbell likes this.
  8. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

My second car and first sports-car was a used Austin-Healey 100-6, which was the predecessor to the 3000 (which I couldn't afford). I liked it a lot.

9. tom kirshbaum

tom kirshbaum New Member

Apparently I got the model # wrong. Time to do some research—not on English sports cars but on brain impairment in the aged [sigh].

10. The Gadgeteer

The Gadgeteer Active Member

One makes decisions with the information they have at the time for the reasons and emotions one has at the time. Regret is unfairly blaming yourself for rethinking a decision based on new information, reasons, and emotions you didn’t have at the time.

TomL, 4sallypat and KentuckyKen like this.
  11. To remove this ad click here.

12. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

You speak with much wisdom, O B 1.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Inside EVs mobile app

insightman, MPower and The Gadgeteer like this.