Another funny Leaf moment...

Discussion in 'LEAF' started by JJ2, Apr 24, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. JJ2

JJ2 Member

If anyone saw the pilot for Bless This Mess, they may have noticed the car the couple drove from Manhattan to Nebraska. A 30kwh Leaf. Towing a trailer!
    I assume this was an inside joke. Dax Shephard is a car guy, and his wife Kristen Bell had a Prius. In the movie they made together, with a slim budget, they used their own cars - his hotrod Lincoln and desert racer, and her Prius.
    My wife and I both noticed this faux-pas. I don't think they make hitches for the Leaf, but someone made it for this car.
    The show? It was OK, but needs to gel.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

Why is that a "faux-pas"? Many companies make third party trailer hitches for cars in the USA. Thank goodness we don't live in the EU, where the car has to be officially certified for towing before you can install a hitch!

Of course, using a BEV with less than 100 miles range to tow cross-country wouldn't be an optimal solution, since towing has a severe impact on EV range. But it's certainly possible.

4. JJ2

JJ2 Member

I never said it was impossible. Just highly impractical. Some ride bicycles that far! The scene was a joke, for those who would notice, and I was presenting the joke. Thanks for stepping on it. I'm sure the 20sec scene was Dax's idea.
    I looked online. I wasn't surprised to see hitches for sale. I don't believe Nissan sells or recommends them. But this guy in the photo looks game! I'm tempted to put a hitch on our next EV, for our utility trailer. But it's only used ~4 times a year. I'd never recoup the cost. (kind of like spending $35k on a $25k car, plus battery and development - and bragging about the gas money saved).
    Our next EV will have a 250mi range. In theory, we could drive it to the Gulf - a 5hr drive. Possible? Yes. Practical? No. I could put up with one 60min stop, each way, while we ate. But I'd have to find, and wait for charging in Gulf Shores. A few condos have L2's, but not the one we stay in. I'm not sure if there are any quick-charge stations. And I'd have to drive at 60, for the range. So we'll continue driving our RX down there, with more stowage space - and the ability to do 80.

Attached Files:

• 1r.jpg
      1r.jpg
      File size:
      126.2 KB
      Views:
  5. Kenneth Bokor

Kenneth Bokor Active Member

Hi Nissan has no problem selling or recommending hitches that will work with the Leaf. I got a quote for a Thule model from them last year. The will recommend smallest class and not for towing but for bike racks, etc. Best hitch I've found id the EcoHitch from the USA - I just ordered one for my bike rack and will be getting it install in June.

6. JJ2

JJ2 Member

Thanks. I'll probably put one on the new Leaf? I have a half-ton trailer, usually for garden supplies. But sometimes I'll put a half-ton of topsoil in it. It shouldn't be a problem, for the 15min drive. My goal with an EV is to treat it like any other car. The 220 mi range should help.
    (and I may go completely crazy and keep the old Leaf, too. And keep or sell the Lexus RX, long paid off).

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Kenneth Bokor

Kenneth Bokor Active Member

Yes I don't see any issues for those small utility trailers, like you can rent from U Haul. Anything over 1,000 lbs I would not try.

9. JJ2

JJ2 Member

I have one of those $300 trailers from Harbor Freight, that folds up at the axle. It stores in the garage in a 2x6' footprint! What a deal. And a scoop of dirt is ~1000#. My gardening wife is happy!