Driving from LA to SF on full load

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by melklim, Apr 19, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. melklim

melklim New Member

How does the Clarity Touring handle on an uphill climb from Santa Clarita to Tejon Ranch with four passengers and couple luggage? I've made this trip thousands of times and no problem driving on the fast lane at 70+ mph. I did this same route last year with my wife's Prius and it was difficult and had to move over couple lanes for the faster cars to pass me.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

Somewhat under 50' uphill every mile if you want to tell us how fast that eats battery :p All the Prius are advertised as having only 121 horsepower. That's the same as our electric-only. With HV on we supposedly get quite a bit more HP.

4. jwb

jwb New Member

I did this last week and it was fine. Whole family +luggage, set the cruise for 65MPH no problems.

melklim likes this.
  5. KClark

KClark Active Member

melklim, I traveled I15 from LA to southern Utah a couple of months ago. That route has several grade changes similar to yours. I had 3 adults and luggage and was going 75mph most of the way. Sometimes on the uphills the gas engine seemed ready to explode it was revving so high but it had no problems keeping that speed. So to me, it's a mixed bag, yes it kept the speed but it wasn't a very comfortable driving experience. And anyone who drives LA to Vegas knows that the traffic is very fast when it's not crowded. I tried keeping up with traffic at 80mph and that made a pretty dramatic difference, the car seemed to be struggling with that on the upgrades.

6. Gearhead

Gearhead Member

Of course the Prius weighs around 1000 lbs. less than Clarity...

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. stacey burke

stacey burke Active Member

Did you drive that with a full battery on HV? I have to drive that type of route often.. If I run EV out and then go to HV my engine is very loud but if I start in HV with a full battery and do NOT have a loud engine with plenty of power.

KentuckyKen likes this.
  9. KClark

KClark Active Member

stacey, yes, I had a full battery when I left home and switched to HV once I got on the freeway. I had about 70 percent when I reached the Cajon Pass and more than 50 percent when I got to the Halloran Summit grade outside of Baker, about 50 percent when I got to the Mountain Pass grade near the state line. In all three grades the engine was loud, but it was worst when we returned from UT and climbed to Mt. Pass from LV, I wouldn't have been surprised if the whole thing went up in flames judging by the noise. But, like I said, the car didn't hesitate and kept a steady 75mph.

10. JulianClarity

JulianClarity Active Member

The only concern is it reduces your range so quickly when you drive over 70mph.

11. The Gadgeteer

The Gadgeteer Active Member

During the actual uphill climb does it make sense to turn off HV so all the engine generated electricity can go to the traction motor?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. ClarityBill

ClarityBill Active Member

IMHO: If you just turn off the HV, then you are driving on all battery power.

On uphill climb, I reset the HV and keep it in gear mode: It slows the engine back down to reasonable RPM. and the ICE is helping to keep some EV range. If the hill is too long, I will reset again. It is better than just EV up the hill.

You lose some EV range with this method, but I like a quiet car.

14. TeeVee

TeeVee New Member

By "reset the HV" do you mean toggle it off then back on? Do you do this everytime the car starts making more noise? Also how do you keep it in gear mode? Floor the gas until gear mode is engaged? I see gear mode sometimes above 50 MPH on the freeway. Does this mean you have to climb the hill at least at 50+ MPH to keep it in gear mode?

15. The Gadgeteer

When HV is off does not mean you are driving on all battery. The engine still kicks in if needed especially if the accelerator is push down far enough even more so if in Sport mode. Having HV mode off you are not asking for any level of battery to be preserved; All of the battery and all of the engine is available for use for the traction motor.
    I think this approach needs to be tested out by several of us. I believe using HV on the actual hill will turn out to what leads to higher engine rpms.

16. ClarityBill

Yes, reset HV means toggle it off then back on again. I do this whenever the ICE starts to make noise. I do not floor it to get in gear mode. I drive in ACC, and I do not change speed setting when doing an HV reset.

Gear mode does not work below 40 mph: If you are driving that slow, it is not an option. Really need to be going over 50. (40-50 is the grey area.)

Gadgeteer said "I believe using HV on the actual hill will turn out to what leads to higher engine rpms."
    IMHO - Using HV without management on the hill is when most people complain about the high rpm's on hills. Using EV on the hill without flooring it could be no rpm's, but you will use up your battery. Using EV and flooring it will probably lead to the high rpm's. If you can manage the hill in HV - gear mode, will keep the ICE active, and the lowest rpm's.

Each reset of the HV loses about 2 miles of EV, but it is always less than driving the hill in EV.

I have been hoping somebody else would try this... Seems to work for me.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    Kailani likes this.
  17. The Gadgeteer

Thanks for the info

18. On average, maybe. Seems like a bug that Honda could easily squash with an update.

19. ClarityBill

I am not aware of anyone else doing a 'HV reset', so I can't imagine Honda will be working to reduce the lost EV range from doing a 'HV reset'.

Honda should make the 'bandwidth' wider for gear mode, so my work-around reset is not necessary.

David Towle likes this.
  20. In my FL trip report, I mentioned that EV miles gradually decreased, even when in HV the entire trip.

People suggested that it was because a few EV miles were lost every time the car was stopped and restarted. I just don’t see why that should be the case - it should be trivially easy for the car to “remember” EV miles remaining when shut down, then restarting with the same EV miles, not less.

Or even better, having a setting where you could choose the EV miles you wished to retain.

To be fair, over 1,600 miles my EV mileage never dropped precipitously low - I just think it dropping at all while in HV is a bug.

21. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I'm wondering if our Clarity, which loses EV range during extended HV travel, is more efficient than the Claritys that don't lose EV range when HV is active. Are those Claritys surreptitiously using HV CHARGE to keep the EV range at the original HV "set-point?" Or do we have a stuck brake caliper or a bad wheel bearing that's creating resistance and trashing our HV efficiency?

22. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

What I have found is that I loose range faster in Vermont on HV where the driving is all up hill and down dale than I did in my trip across the flatlands to Kansas.

23. ClarityBill

I agree that up and down hills can lose EV range faster. (EV range is an indication of the battery state-of-charge.)

The general concept is going up a hill costs EV range, and coming down will recover it.

But, going down the hill still has wind resistance and rolling loses. If going down the hill is just steep enough to cover those loses, with no regen, then next up hill is just like a continuation of the first up hill: The battery never gets a chance to recover.

If the loses are greater due to cold temperature, and the heater running, the effect is worse. (ie, Vt vs KS)