Clarity System Crash

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by David Towle, Apr 4, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

Today I took the car for a 1 hour ride, then parked it for an hour. It would not start. The display would go through its usual tones and the power bar would start to appear then it would go blank. On some attempts all the little warning lights would just sit flashing on and off. Other tries there were warnings such as remove the charger cord. I called Honda service, they refused to tow it to my home dealer, so I called AAA and they agreed to tow it.

While waiting for the tow I decided to pull the battery negative cable. I had tools but the car would not allow me to unlock the trunk. I managed to borrow an adjustable wrench from another motorist and pulled the cable for 20 seconds. I tried starting again and nothing happened. Then I realized the rebooting might take awhile, so I waited 5 minutes and it started, going through a number of error messages. Then the car worked fine so I cancelled the tow.

When I got home I put a 10mm wrench in the glovebox so I have it for future incidents.

BTW my gas mileage was up to 46 today on a round trip to JFK airport at around 72 mph. The summer tires are definitely better for this than the snows but I'm sure its air temp most of all, toady was in the sixties.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    KentuckyKen, bulls96 and MPower like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bulls96

bulls96 Member

Can you take pictures of the wrench and where the you unplugged the battery?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

MPower likes this.
  4. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear you had trouble.
    As I understand it, Honda Service will only tow to the nearest dealer (no matter how inconvenient) and nowhere else.
    Also, you can always get into the car with a key and then you can use the key to access the trunk by way of the lock behind the driver’s side upper rear seat. So if you have your fob, you can never be locked out of the car, trunk, engine compartment, charging port, or fuel door, both of which have back up manual releases.
    Also thanks for sharing that a hard reset worked and has a 10 mm nut.
    I just might have to consider a manual battery disconnect.
    I wonder if this could be rigged to work? 4C683B55-8790-4C8A-B7A2-32EA05EE77A0.png Looks like the cable could be moved but there has to be room for the hood to close. Hmmm...

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  5. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

Here's the wrench on the 10mm nut, just loosen a few turns and pull the battery clamp off.

Another option is to mount a battery disconnect:
    https://smile.amazon.com/NOCO-ID220S-6V-24V-Battery-Disconnect/dp/B006EH9WUC/ref=sr_1_6?crid=ERID4D16JMLW&keywords=battery+disconnect+switch&qid=1554432761&s=gateway&sprefix=battery+disconnect%2Caps%2C143&sr=8-6 IMG_3958.jpg

MPower likes this.