Rooftop Solar to power EVs

Discussion in 'Energy' started by Sans Ice, Aug 30, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Sans Ice

Sans Ice New Member

The installation of my 7KW array on my Garage roof was just completed. I have made the transition to energy and transportation systems all made in US and run by the Sun. Now I can run my American made Ford Focus E and Tesla S on energy made from Washington manufactured solar panels. I am the oil companies' worst nightmare. Ha Ha. I can't wait till more people start kicking ICE and big oil to the curb! IMG_7303.JPG

lem, Domenick, ruisvensson and 2 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

Awesome, that’s an impressive size for your solar array.

4. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Active Member

Yup - here's our 10.1kW solar PV array:

[​IMG]

It is a wonderful thing!

5. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

Beautiful. That’s more than double my 4.5kw install.

NeilBlanchard likes this.
  6. NeilBlanchard

The first solar panel is the most important.

The reason there is staging (and an electric hoist!) is that my brother and I completely removed the old hip roof, and then framed the new gable roof - so we could fit this system on the house. We cut down 3 trees to open up the sun exposure.

It is 10kW AC which is at the limit for a residential system here in Massachusetts. (We get 100% net metering credit - over that and it drops to 60%.) Since we have two electric cars (Bolt EV and e-Golf) and we have a mini split system (the outside unit is on the lower right of the house, and some of the conduits are on the south wall), and we have a heat pump water heater - we use a LOT of electricity. This solar PV system looks like it will offset about 75% of what we use, so I hope to get the limit raised; by say 1kW per EV you own, or 2kW if you use mini split for heat. If the limit was 15kW, we would be fine.

I would add panels on the east and the west, to increase the production in the early morning and late afternoon.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Sans Ice

Sans Ice New Member

Love it ! It looks very integrated to the design of the house - yes

chris5168 and NeilBlanchard like this.
  9. this is not exactly what I want to do, but is in the path...

a vehicle that generates its own energy... dinpensing any recharge point

10. NeilBlanchard

Right - it takes about 24 panels (like the original poster's system) to charge an EV. And you would have to have them in direct sunlight for 6-9 hours. So that kinda puts a sharp point on the issue.

You would park all day, and then drive at night. And carrying 24 panels is nontrivial.

11. well neil, good day
    my project is put 15 panels 300 w, 5 fixed and more 5 on 2 sliders, opening when parked
    this will take 8-12 hours to complete recharge... but in a motorhome the time is less important
    I want travel not all days, but each 3-5 days, sometimes each week
    and you know the sun in brazil ? strong
    but a great motivation for this project is avoid the home rent, the energy bills, and the gas cost

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. and a solar collector for heat water for bath, and a solar owen for cook (a microwave for sometimes)
    I am SF writter, each morning I awaken with a idea, depending on I write a lot, I can park many days on each site, so the recharge is secure
    I am trying get the money for begin, maybe I could launch a crowfunding for it, and after I will publish all plans for others enjoy

14. I Now have the whole project, for the electric motorhome, it generate its own energy. 15 solar panels on the roof, 5 fixed and 10 on 2 sliders, opening when parked. including for whom lives outside tropical zone. As the economy for now is hard here, i want sell the plans, i will send the details and specifications for whom pay me only $40, reply for details

15. I believe that putting a set of panels on the roof of the house is a good solution, for those who live in a fixed house in the city, and have their short daily commute to work. is the reality for most, no doubt.
    but for a growing portion of people who have decided to live in a smaller place, either because they have less money or to relieve stress, or have adopted an itinerant way of life, there is always a more adequate solution.
    if the person can take with him a set of panels with their support, and these panels are in sufficient quantity to supply energy to the traction of the vehicle, plus their daily activities, it creates a way of life of adds to the use of electric vehicles, this new way of life that is becoming a solution for those who want to add quality of life and low consumption, sustainability and pleasure.

16. I have a project for mount an electric motorhome, where the energy come from a set of panels on roof (5 fixed, 10 on 2 sliders opening when parked); when need recharge I search some good place for wait 8-12 hours.
    But my project is stopped; the situation here in brazil is getting hard to raise the money.
    So, I want sell the whole plans of the project; I will send a set of detailed plans for whom pay me only U$40.
    With the money, I will launch a marketing campaign for my SF book, so when I get about $120k I will begin the project; when finished I will publish a video showing the vehicle and it´s characteristics.
    With this vehicle, I will get avoid not only the gas cost, but also energy bills and home rent. In others countries, the situation can perhaps look as here; the temptation for surpass this is very strong. I have now the whole project, including for who lives outside the tropical zone. The vehicle dispenses then any recharge point, allowing stay long terms on remote places, perfect for camping or long travels. A vehicle that besides serving as a house also dispenses the energy bill and the periodic visit to the fuel station... considering the rise of fuel and electricity, it seems increasingly tempting.

17. I have a similar project in south of France for 2019: 7 kWc PV system + 2 EVs + day charging.
    I started 1,5 years ago with 1 kWc of PV to power the house & pool and I bought a Renault Zoé, a nice small car, perfect for commuting.
    Next step: add 6 kWc on the house roof and wait for the eNiro (ordered at Paris Motor Show)
    Objective: 0 fossil fuel direct purchase... then I will address indirect purchases (not so easy !)

18. well, my project is stay completely independent of any recharge point...
    only for plenty the pantry I will need visit some small town...
    because the gas price is rising beyond our capacities... and energy bills too... house for rent very expensive...
    then I created a solution for get free

19. The electric is not for everyone, today. The person who lives in an urban environment and travels every day coming and going from work, recharging from his own house, is a good example of who will have a good return on investment. Instead, the cab driver, traveling all day, travels about 800 km without time to recharge, not worth it. There is no way to accommodate enough battery power in a vehicle that can handle such an autonomy, nor will the recharge time be sufficient.

Another worthwhile case: anyone who uses a motorhome has time for multiple stops, if they have recharging points along the way, will be a case for good return on investment. But ... what if there are no recharge points? If the places you will travel are far from the cities, you probably will not.

But, and what if the vehicle can generate its own energy?

Here is the hook in this project: a creative design, that can put enough solar panels in a vehicle to generate energy that can supply the path; evidently being a vehicle destined to make several stops along the way, evidently in adequate places (sufficient space), and at the same time discarding in the set what is not essential.
    The worksheet that is part of the project demonstrates the energy viability and the cost / benefit ratio, which is largely favorable to investment. Provided that the ideal environment for this vehicle is not the urban environment (where space is limited) nor long trips without stopping. If the user really needs to enter an urban environment, it will be possible; but will have the small inconvenience of requesting an emergency recharge from any wall socket (which can take from 6 to 8 hours), or get a parking lot for a full day with sun, in some place without shadow, occupying the equivalent of 3 seats.

This independence in relation to recharging points has a huge advantage: eliminating the cost of recharging, which will add to the savings in the electricity bill, and even in rent, if the person has the ideal of living in the vehicle.

Including in the project a electric tricycle (recharging also on the panels) for short travels around, exploring the surroundings, order supplies, and also for get the best place to park.

The driver needs to be aware that the actual autonomy will be dependent on the battery charge; so when it reaches 60% it will turn on a yellow light signaling that it needs to look in the GPS somewhere near to park; when it reaches 55% it must be arriving at the place. In this way, you will be able to maintain a minimum level of charge and maximize battery life, which accounts for most of the costs of the project, not only for the cost itself but for the need to switch over within 10 years.

20. NeilBlanchard

We hit 12MWh total production yesterday!

We sold our last gasoline car 2 weeks ago, and we now have 3 EV's, plus my better.bike PEBL.

21. Sans Ice

Sans Ice New Member

Yes!! Thanks for the update - awesome production!

22. NeilBlanchard

We will have had the system 1 year exactly this Saturday, April 6th. We have saved about $2,500 on electricity, and gotten about $2,000 in SREC's. Of course, we are paying about $329 / month on the loan. But, we will be able to pay a chunk of the principle, and reamortize it, and lower the payment by hopefully $100 or so.

We are about $550 "ahead" for the year. With the 30% tax credit and the savings and the SREC's, we will pay for the system in 5 years, or so.

From now on - we will spend $0 on gasoline, and virtually nothing on maintenance - and we will drive 3 EV's about 40-44K miles total. We have a '17 Bolt EV, and a '17 e-Golf, and an '18 Smart EQ. And my PEBL - which I have used over 600 miles so far, since I got it last October.

23. Rothgarr

Rothgarr Member

We had fifty 360W panels installed in September of last year (we live in CT). Purchased them. Ever since we had them installed we've paid $0 for electric supply. We have no trees that would shade the panels. In mid-March we already were producing over 100kWh on clear days. We replaced our hot water heater with one that way more efficient, so now I estimate we have approximately 4,000 kWh excess each year. Now I'm looking at getting a Model 3 or Bolt (prefer an American brand). By my estimations for the amount we drive I think we'll still be able to charge the EV and not have to pay for any electricity. I love the panels!

[​IMG]

Robert Bratton and NeilBlanchard like this.