EVSE Recommendations

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by barnesgj, Jan 6, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. loomis2

loomis2 Well-Known Member

That is what I would do. Install the outlet that works with whatever box you decide to get and if you change the box in a few years for another one that uses a different plug then just change out the plug.

iluvscuba likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

The answer is yes. Just cap the unused 4th wire (neutral) with wire nuts at breaker box and outlet box. You will then be somewhat future proofed as to the type of EVSE you can add.
    You might want to consider running one size larger wire, 6 gauge instead of 8 gauge so you can go up to a 50 amp breaker (40 amp EVSE) later. Not much difference in price of wire and labor charge remains the same. If you plan on staying in your present location for a long time this may make economic sense for you.
    One other poster went ahead and attempted future proofing by installing 6 gauge wire/50 amp breaker and buying a 40 amp EVSE to start with even though any EVSE above 32 amp will not charge our Claritys any faster.

iluvscuba likes this.
  4. bpratt

bpratt Active Member

I ran 4 gauge wire which will support up to 75 amps. I think electric cars are here to stay and I wanted to plan for the future.

Mowcowbell likes this.
  5. Mikep00

Mikep00 Active Member

If doing your own install in Canada, don’t forget code requires a disconnect that is visible from the charger.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

6. Noni

Noni New Member

Can someone confirm what I got installed was good and do I need to set it up through Juicebox pro App to draw only 32A at 7.8Kw or does clarity do that automatically.
    I got Juicebox Pro 40 A from Costco and it connects to wifi and cellphone.
    Electrician installed #6 gauge wire, put a 50 Amp GE circuit breaker and 14-50 NEMA 50A plug.

Reading here it sounds like I need to set it up to draw at 7.8kw and 32amp. Is that true or do I just start charging and clarity's electronics will do the rest.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

I have a JuiceBox Pro 40 and just plug it in. The car only draws what it needs. I didn't program any limits in the JuiceBox.

Think of it this way. We have 15 Amp outlets in the house but we plug a 10 Amp toaster into the socket. Nothing blows up.

Noni likes this.
  9. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

The Clarity’s on board charger will dictate how much to draw so you can go ahead and charge. Expect to see charging rates from the EVSE of around 7.1 to 7.2 Amps until the taper charge at the end. Of course only around 6.6 Amps actually are going into the battery since the onboard charger sets the limit and is about 92% efficient.

Here is the answer from Clipper Creek:

Q: Will using a station with higher output current rating than my vehicle can accept damage my vehicle?
    A:
    No, using a higher amperage EV charging station poses no harm to the electric vehicle. ClipperCreek EV charging stations are a pass through, electrical safety appliance. The EV is in complete control of the charge and will only take in what power it can accept and no more. The actual charging takes place on the vehicle. Our units will supply AC power to the vehicle and the vehicle’s onboard charger will convert the AC power to DC power and charge the vehicle’s batteries.

EX: Chevy Volt can take in 3.3kW for charging and the HCS-40 can deliver up to 7.7kW. When an HCS-40 is plugged into the Volt the station will “tell” the Volt how much power is available through the stations pilot communication signal. From that point the electric vehicle will take over, activate the stations and take whatever power it wants, up to the limit established by the station.

Some of our customers will purchase 240V charging stations that can offer a higher power level than their current vehicle can accept to future-proof their installation.

mr.ms and Noni like this.
  10. Noni

Noni New Member

Thanks a lot, jdonalds and kentuckyken!!
    So app and smartphone is more for tracking and monitoring whats going on with charging.
    Good to know that its simple here on.

11. I am a little confused by your statement that the federal credit expired. It didn’t. Here is the form for 2018: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8936.pdf. All the sources I’ve seen note that the current Congress seems less likely to continue it in the future, but for now, it is still available. We all have to check our states, too. I live in Oregon where we love green stuff. The rebate comes from our Dept of Environmental Quality and isn’t related to our taxes. YMMV.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

The federal tax credit for purchase of a qualifying vehicle remains intact for 2018, but the credit for EVSE ("charging" station equipment) did expire in 2016 and was not extended by Congress.

14. jlebowski

jlebowski New Member

That sounds like a challenge. hahaha

15. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

Update & Correction: The federal tax credit for EVSE stations expired for installations placed in service after 2017, not 2016 as I had previously written. In addition, the current version of TurboTax software still contains a Form 8911 just in case Congress does approve an "extender" bill for this credit, which so far it has NOT done. But retroactive restoration of this credit is still a possibility, especially since the list of "extenders" in a US Senate published listing includes this item and reauthorizes the credit (for home installations of $1,000 max. credit and business installations of $30,000 max. credit). See Sec. 103 of the proposed Tax Extender and Disaster Relief Act of 2019 at https://www.finance.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/Tax Extender and Disaster Relief Act of 2019 Summary.pdf.

Bottom line - no one can claim this credit for a 2018 installation service date unless and until Congress approves it retroactively and the President signs it. But keep an eye on this even if you file your 2018 federal return without it (as presently required) or perhaps file for an extension, since it is still possible that the EVSE credit might be given renewed life for 2018 and beyond.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019