Is The Honda Clarity PHEV The Best Plug-In Hybrid?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Lars, Mar 18, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Now that the Volt is dead (RIP) the Clarity is the only game in town - sadly - if you are looking for an extended range, plug-in hybrid. It is sad because this type of "hybrid" has at least a 10 year market run, and here is why: 'extended range hybrids' could easily be marketed as the pre-step to BEV ownership. The key problems prohibiting EV ownership by the average family are;
    1. the up front costs,
    2. range anxiety and
    3. the existing charging infrastructure, which requires careful planning of long trips.
    Tesla has a clear advantage, but refer to my point 1 above.

Until the costs of 'reasonable range' (500km/300mi) EVs are at/or close to the cost of similar gas burners, the concept of extended range hybrids seem the perfect fit. Range anxiety is a particularly valid show stopper in North America. We tend to drive more kilometres( see my spelling?) yearly, and longer distances more frequently than our European cousins. Therefore range anxiety can be more of a concern.

The Honda Clarity fills the above "gap" very nicely. Inside EV's review of the car is well done. Couple of points here I just need to make. I recall that the split rear windows of the Prius were found 'outrageously silly' by the reviews at the time and the (my) Gen 3 Prius was rated as ugly as something only a mother could love. Just look at the Mafia rear window and the silly shape of the rear fender of the Clarity.

As a two times Prius owner and I am truly disappointed in Toyota's total lack of vision and/or ability to produce a decent plug-in.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. fotomoto

fotomoto Active Member

As a former 2102 Volt owner and current 2013 CMax Energi owner, I also have had 3 Toyota hybrids. Looking for another plug-in to meet my requirements, I cross-shopped remaining Gen2 volt, Prime and the newly (finally!) released $35k model 3 but it was a pretty easy decision to go with the Clarity.

The Gadgeteer, Lars and MPower like this.
  4. Mariner91

Mariner91 Member

By the numbers, Prius prime still beats Clarity hands down (PHEV v PHEV), though an argument can be made for those (like me) who's travel distance happens to be within the 25-45 mile range (in excess of Prime's range but within Clarity's). Aesthetically, including some roominess, is the Clarity's saving points, but I wouldn't use those to put it on the "best" category.

5. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

The Clarity is a gap filler for us; but so were the two Prius we owned earlier. I would like to dump the whole ICE and go full BEV but my criteria are different than the list Lars presented.

For me it would be:

1) 15 minute recharge duration for 200 miles.

2) Public charge station cost/kWh cheaper than the gas equivalent.

For a BEV I don't want to stop on trips for one to two hours to charge on our frequent 300 mile trips, or our twice a year 1,100 mile trips. The Clarity does a fine job no matter the distance.

Right now we only charge at home, with solar supplying most of the power. Total cost of ownership is a big factor but right now it seems most public charge stations are too expensive.

The Gadgeteer and Monir like this.
  6. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

Since you mentioned the "average family", consider the Pacifica PHEV. The Clarity and Pacfica are for different demographics, but any family looking at a PHEV has the Pacifica as a reasonable option.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Well, "best" is open from discussion. But considering the Volt's demise there is not much to choose from is there? As Toyota guy, I would go for a longer range Prius PHEV myself. I like the shape and the inside spaciousness and the hatchback practicality of the Prius in a relative small body. I picked it over the Volt at the time. Compared to that I found the Volt somewhat bulky outside. After getting into it I found myself sitting in the cockpit of a fighter jet, squeezed. But back to the Clarity. I will check it out, just for satisfying my curiosity. I am not on the market just yet.

9. Good points! Imagine getting to charger, which is either out of order or being used. Just like lining up in a car wash. Except the wait per car is way over five minutes. Advantage Tesla

10. I agree. Being retired my "magic wagen" days, loaded with boogy boards and other stuff are over. Sorry.

11. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

There is a network of L2 public chargers called "Volta" which are apparently free (still wondering how they get their profit?). They can be found on Whole Food markets and in some malls. You would need to download the app to your phone and it will show their locations and if they're available.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Mariner91

Mariner91 Member

With the Volt's demise, there's still the same number of choices as before, minus one.
    Aside from Clarity, you have (limited to PHEVs), you also have (best list I found when I was researching for my own)
    https://cleantechnica.com/2018/01/04/plug-hybrid-electric-vehicles-available-purchase-usa/

14. MNSteve

MNSteve Well-Known Member

This is a fine illustration that "best" is a very personal thing. The very things you like about the Prius are the things that drove me in the direction of the Clarity. Logically the Prius is a better choice for me, given that much of my driving is solo. But for whatever reason, the feel of the car and the styling just did not grab me. I found the Clarity much more appealing even though I am dragging around a bunch of weight that logically I don't need. But I resonated with the Clarity and not the Prius. My previous vehicle was Toyota, and I was very satisfied with it. I have been very pleased with the Clarity. Everyone has to make up their mind based on what they (think they) want.

15. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

Well said - exactly my thoughts.

Coming from a BMW 528 4 banger, I think the Clarity is so much a better commuter car!

jennifer everett likes this.
  16. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

Right Lars, BEST is certainly different for each person. For us the Clarity is a near perfect match even though we drive 60-70 miles per day (all EV). The mitigating factor for us is we are retired so we return home to charge between trips. That certainly isn't standard procedure for most people.

17. RickSE

RickSE Active Member

Kind of think Volta is not for those of us in New England. I’m pretty sure there are more then 5 free chargers north of NYC!:)

Try PlugShare or ChargeHub (plus chargepoint).

Attached Files:

18. LAF

LAF Active Member

My friend just bought a Prius plug-in and he calls it a toy electric car because in cold weather EV runs out after 15 miles- Not to mention the much better ride in the Clarity- its no contest

4sallypat likes this.
  19. I was thinking of "long range" PHEVs. There are not many choices I am aware of. There are only two, the Clarity and the Chrysler Pacifica come to mind.

20. Agree. The current Prius PHEV will not make my list when I am ready.

21. You are correct. Buying a the right car is just like picking the right cell phone plan - except much more expensive. :( First one should figure out their "user pattern" and only after then go shopping. Most people are influenced by ads and fads. An an extreme example; you might like the Tesla, but if you need pickup none of them will do - for now at least.