Snow Tires & Rims

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by aapitten, Jan 25, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

Question. I bought a set of wheels for the snow tire and the wheel is dual-pattern. So it as 10 holes for lug nuts. There are 5 holes after bolting the wheel. is there a cover or something to cover up the extra holes?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I've never heard of such a one-wheel-fits-all-bolt-patterns wheel, but the aftermarket manufacturer must get this question often. If the aftermarket wheel manufacturer doesn't offer a solution, I'd be surprised if there's an aftermarket-aftermarket accessory for that aftermarket wheel. Do the Honda lug nuts work with this wheel or does it require a different style?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  4. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

I bought some of those for another car and they came with ill fitting, but tolerable, covers.

5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

That's what I would have expected (the included covers, not the ill-fitting part).

6. alex A

alex A New Member

My wheels have extra holes, it's just part of the look. You might be able to see it in this picture:
    20181225_070739.jpg

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Viking79

Viking79 Well-Known Member

Here are the Atom 17" with XIce3 225/55R17 from Discount Tire Direct (went that size as it was in stock otherwise would have gone 215/55R17). $894 shipped. Boring but functional. Wife mentions they are much louder. They are, but perfectly tolerable in a snowy climate.
    20181214_131522.jpg 20181214_131539.jpg

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  9. David Towle

B1E77C71-0850-4A26-9BAB-B805B3F87351.jpeg F02941E9-7DF4-4F54-B443-DB94D86BB174.jpeg
    These were $921 from Discount Tire

10. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

Thanks everyone. I still haven't put mine on yet. Temps have been around 40sF in the NY area. So don't need them just yet :D

11. Viking79

My guess is they price in shipping on the website, did you buy from the store (or direct)? The wheels you mention would have been $100 more expensive than the steel Atom wheels ($100 each instead of $76 each). Could also be tire size, I think I had to buy a slightly more expensive tire size as the others were sold out for the season or out of stock and didn't show on the website.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. David Towle

Yes and they might have been a little cheaper when I bought. Your speedo will be off by 1 or 2 mph with your larger size.

14. Viking79

Yes, I was sure to check before I bought and the Tire Size Calculator was showing +1.5% so should read 1 mph slow at 67 mph. It falls in Discount Tire's recommended tire sizes.

To preserve EV range, I decided I wanted the more efficient Michelins instead of a cheaper generic tire. This dictated what tire size I ended up getting. I should have bought them a little earlier, but oh well. They had a $70 instant rebate which was nice.

15. E10

E10 New Member

I just got my snow tires and rims after waiting too long and trying to find some that would a) fit properly, and b) were in stock because most places were sold out for the season. I bought X-Ice Xi3’s on 17x7.5 Sparco Trofeo 5’s. They fit really well and look good so I think I may need to use them for my summer rims too!

IMG_8891.jpg

IMG_8894.jpg

IMG_8890.jpg

16. Phil C

Phil C New Member

will this fit on Clarity?
    235 65R 17

17. Viking79

Factory wheels are 18", so no. Assuming you have the factory wheels. Discount tire direct lists all the different tire sizes that will fit.

18. Phil C

Phil C New Member

No. I meant putting these tires on the 17" rims or mags. I knownthe best size for 17 is 215 55 17...

19. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

Not even close! That is almost 3” taller than OEM. Per the suggestion above, use the calculator at Discount Tire for sizing. The closest to overall OEM diameter in 17” wheel and a 235 width is 235/50-17.

Phil C likes this.
  20. Phil C

Phil C New Member

Quick question guys - I want to buy these OEM Honda rims (probably off from Civic or Accord) for my winter tires (Michelin X Ice Xi3 215/55/17)
    The seller says 17X6,5--ET50-- ( COMPATIBLE 45 A 55 OFFSET) BOLT PATTERN 5X114.3.
    I know the best will be 17 x 7 on 215/55/17 tires but will 0.5" difference cause any issue? Will these rims fit on the Clarity?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  21. jorgie393

jorgie393 Well-Known Member

OK, so this is not going to earn me any punches on my Man Card, but: I'm quite handy, but never worked on cars at all, other than changing a battery or a flat tire. I'd like to swap my snow rims/tires currently on (purchased thanks to this forum), back to the summer rims. (The original swap was done by NTB, who balanced the snow tires. It is a pain to get the cars back there.)

To swap the rims, is there anything more than:

-jacking the wheel up
    -taking the snow tire/rim off
    -putting the summer tire/rim on (in an approved rotation pattern)
    -tightening partially in a cross pattern
    -bringing the lug nuts to 80 ft-lbs specified torque with a torque wrench?
    -repeat?

No balancing, no tricks, no warnings? I might be able to parlay this into an excuse to buy some more tools....

22. Richard Kelly

Richard Kelly Member

Dont forget to mark the winter tires with what wheel they came off of so when you put the them back on next season, they do get Rotated.

jorgie393 likes this.
  23. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Sounds like you got it. I just rotated my tires for the first time. I found out that it’s easier if you loosen the lugnuts while the tire is still on the ground. Then tighten while off ground as best you can with final torquing when back in the ground. The lug nuts are 19mm.
    Just be careful while it’s jacked up. I used two jackstands per side with my floor jack as the safety back up.
    Remember what the preppers say, “Two is one and one is none”.

jorgie393 likes this.