Clarity Base Vs. Touring - What made you choose?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Aspesi4, Jun 1, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. markc

markc New Member

We went with the Touring model for the power seats and the Nav system. We travel on a regular basis through some very empty areas of Colorado and Wyoming where there is no cell service at all, in face we can drive for hours with no service, and without that phone-based navigation apps are useless. I can take or leave the leather seats but they are comfy and the seat memory is very nice.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. lanb

lanb Active Member

You can download the maps to your phone ahead of time.

Mowcowbell likes this.
  4. markc

markc New Member

I have been told that but I think that only works with Google Maps and I don't use Google Maps. I use Waze for most things (so glad that it now works with CapPlay) and the Garmin maps out in the hinterlands.

5. Agzand

Agzand Active Member

You get very little for the upcharge of the touring model. Maybe if the navigation was smart, it had a better sound system, or it had better driver assist features I could justify, but currently it is not appealing.

Mowcowbell and 4sallypat like this.
  6. lanb

lanb Active Member

Correct, waze does not support offline maps as it is supposed to be a community-driven real time map of navigation and road conditions.
    I use waze as well for in-city driving. I am willing to switch to google maps for those pockets of no signal :)

BTW, if you want a truly offline map/gps, try Here WeGo (not supported directly in Android Auto but supposed to work in AA using AutoMate).
    You can download the entire US map to your phone.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I love the touring, wanted the leather and power seats, leather wrapped steering wheel, and nav can be handy. Is it worth the added money? Obviously I got happy with it, cause I bought the touring. Everyone has different relative likes/dislikes and value of the price difference vs what you get for the option. I hope that everyone that bought the touring version thought it was worth it and that everyone that bought the base model felt like the lower price was the way to go. To each his/her own... That's why each of us make different choices.

Groves Cooke and Tomrl like this.
  9. AlanSqB

AlanSqB Active Member

The sat nav is actually pretty good. It’s Garmin based and the updates are free, but you have to upload them. It gets FM traffic info also. It’s comparable to the higher end stand alone Garmin unit my dad bought for his RV in features and quality.

I still normally use Waze or Apple Maps but this is a good backup for when there is no signal or I don’t want to carry my phone.

If I didn’t have a smartphone, something I’ve been considering a lot lately, I’d be perfectly happy with this GPS.

10. Thomas Mitchell

Thomas Mitchell Active Member

Purchased the Touring because... IMG_0014.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

I actually didn't think there was much difference between the two. My wife and I are different sizes. She petit, and me large. Never had a car until Clarity where driver seat auto-adjusts. That was the only reason I cared.

I still care after buying the car. Every time I get in, and hear the seat auto-adjust to my preferred setting I am grateful. Since we both routinely drive the car, it has to adjust almost every time someone gets in (since it's seldom the same someone).
    (now it would of been mega-cool if it adjusted mirrors too, but as it is it's a very nice feature).

I didn't and do not care leather, NAV system, wheel wrap, or really anything else. I have a smartphone that has navigation and music etc.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

I think the main issue between the two trim levels is the $3K. If the difference was $1500, I think I could have justified the Touring model. But for $3000 more, I didn't see that much value for the bucks.

I think Honda needs to rethink the pricing on the Touring.

14. Agzand

Agzand Active Member

I agree, I think they can probably keep the $3k up charge, but they need to include a premium sound system and blind spot monitoring.

Mowcowbell likes this.
  15. NaughtyNeutron

NaughtyNeutron New Member

PA
    This to me is my commuter car, TBH it is the commuter King. The base is more like an EXL if you compare price vs features vs value, its not entire cloth just the center of the seats. I'm the lone driver, maybe once a while the wife hops in. Definitely feels 2 levels above when you consider the fed & state tax credits. No brainier base for me.

Mowcowbell likes this.
  16. Mariner91

Mariner91 Member

Touring v Base

Price $3200 difference on MSRP

What you get, and my thoughts on them

1 Navigation - POS that even the dealer couldn't understand why it's not updated to something more robust. only saving factor is it's Satellite link, which means you can be found even with no cp reception (vis a vis using your CP as GPS lol). Only gives you directions, and does not take into account real time traffic/conditions. Especially with CarPlay (our 2016 Odyssey doesn't have it) and ability to plug phone in for navigation with your choice of app....

2 Memory seat for 2 - is definitely nice (we have it on our Odyssey) but bought car knowing I will be driving it 99% of the time, making this worth a lot less value wise
    2.1 Power seats (more on driver, but some on passenger) see 2.0

3 Leather seats/trims + leather stirring - probably only thing that I wanted on Touring, and at the end of the day could not justify paying the extra cost just to get it (wouldn't be worth the additional tax alone LOL)

17. Atkinson

Atkinson Active Member

I got the base model, but sometimes pine for the fine Corinthian leather.

4sallypat likes this.
  18. Heino

Heino Active Member

Navigation does get real-time traffic data.

Clarity_Newbie and petteyg359 like this.
  19. Evfred

Evfred Member

Base - Canadian here and touring doesn’t have power seats. Easy choice after that.

20. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

Leather - Because everything is better in leather. Easier to avoid road rage when your car's interior makes you comfortable :p
    Seats - I have odd height proportions. Having the extra-adjustable seat is great, and if I let somebody else drive my car, that little button on the door to automatically put the seat back in my preferred position is also great.

And after several months, I find the Garmin navigation is actually more convenient than plugging in my phone for Android Auto. Also, the car seems to be much better at silencing the radio when a call comes in via Bluetooth than Android is at silencing a media application if Android Auto is running.

Obviously I have the Touring.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    ken wells and leehinde like this.
  21. vin seeram

vin seeram Member

It was a close call. I chose the base. I was worried that my kids would have too much fun with the suede trim and it would be hard to clean.

4sallypat likes this.
  22. Close. Small change:

Grandkids too!

23. Mariner91

Mariner91 Member

As in, it would give you the fastest route based on current traffic conditions? Or does it tell you traffic conditions, but not calculate it into the route? This is how our Odyssey works, and was told by dealer that it was the same on the Clarity,.