Kona EV Winter Problems

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Gunther Rosenstock, Mar 4, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

I wonder if the tires are of poor quality as a few in the UK Kona forum with Nexen tires have had flats with their new cars, or maybe just coincidence.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Vanryan

Vanryan Member

@CJC in sport mode do your all weather tires spin as much as the Nexan’s when you accelerate hard from a stop?

4. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

I haven't noticed any spinning from a hard stop, but I don't do much of that. I will test soon, but right now I am dealing with a clunking on the rear so I don't want to do much acceleration until I know why the clunking on the rear.

5. Vanryan

Vanryan Member

I had a bit of that too when backing up sometimes or releasing the brakes. I just assumed it was salt or grit getting stuck in the brakes due to lack of use with the Regen braking... I’ll keep an eye on mine too now that I know others are seeing this.

6. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

Eek! I think we are going to need a special thread on this backing up and brake clunking sound issue.

Brennan Raposo likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

I did a test of the Michelin CrossClimate tires on the way home from the dealership. I put my Kona into Sport Mode, narrowed my eyes, leaned back and floored it. lol No chirping or spinning. Hard experiment for a long time hypermiler to do. lol I am the queen of conserving mileage with slow smooth take offs and the same with stopping. But it was fun to do your test. lol

eastpole likes this.
  9. Canada Dan

Canada Dan Member

It was for science :)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Inside EVs mobile app

CJC likes this.
  10. Vanryan

Vanryan Member

Damn now I need to get new tires! Thanks CJC :)

CJC likes this.
  11. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

Keep in mind my flooring is probably not as spirited as yours. lol

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Try loading some substantial weight in the back and see if that makes any difference
    And I agree a separate thread should be started on braking issues
    Edit- just noticed the clunking brake thread

14. Oilberta

Oilberta Member

CJC --- Sorry for the delay in response -- busy tending to my flat repair. I see there is a thread open on flat tires with Nexen rubber. The Hyundai dealer repaired mine with an (interior) patch. Apparently, plugs are a no-no.

Here's other concerns I had with flat repair (or anything else that involves removing a tire or other work underside, when no Hyundai dealer is within reasonable distance). As an AMA "premium" member, I called them first, and found out that they don't have the Kona EV in their data base (yet ?). When I told my wife that there is no spare tire / jack / wheel wrench that comes with the car, she would have sold it on the spot, at a substantial $$ loss. Having a 50-year hobby of owning / working on Covettes from the '60s, I have tools coming out of my yazoo, but none fit the wheel studs of the EV. Also have a hydraulic floor jack, but not a clue where the lifting points would be. The AMA guy didn't know for sure either. Visions of underbody damage, or (worse) propulsion battery damage told me that I'd better call the dealer I bought the car from.

So where do I find a Kona EV online service / shop manual that describes jacking procedures, just in case I'm really in trouble in the middle of nowhere, and the help that arrives might make costly mistakes not covered by warranty ?

CJC and eastpole like this.
  15. fiercely

fiercely Member

No idea, but this guys posted this, maybe its a start?

16. Brennan Raposo

Brennan Raposo Well-Known Member

I have this same sound. I’m
    Not concerned about it at all. I believe it’s just caused by minor rust build up on the brake rotor overnight (which is completely normal) the in the am when you reverse your car - it breaks free of rust and you hear that clunk sound. The main different between this and a normal car is the engine sound of a normal car would almost completely mask it.

Once the warmer and drier temps hit, I can almost guarantee it won’t happen unless it’s raining overnight or you get a lot of fog where you are!

Wildeyed, Vanryan and CJC like this.
  17. Got my first flat (some screw) on Friday, the tpms is pretty accurate (showed 16 lbs on the driver rear, checked it w/ my gauge). Stopped at two service stations for air (50km/hr) on the way to work and both were charging 1$ to use (WHAT? I've been a loyal cust for 7 years at each station, always stopping for free air). Didn't have time to use the on board 12V air pump.
    Had the repair patch put in @ BCAA ($30) but the flat tire icon still showed up on the dash, measured the pressure and they only filled it to 36psi !
    After asking them to top off to 41 psi (I run @39 psi cold and the warmed up other tires were @41) they advised me they only top up to the door frame label value of 36 o_O
    Went to Hyundai, they topped it to 41 psi and the error cleared driving from the bay to their front door (about 75 feet).

So if re-pressuring a fixed flat make sure to match the other tire pressures at least close (within a pound or two).

eastpole likes this.
  18. eastpole

eastpole Active Member

All hail the queen!

My Dad taught me to do this in a gas-burner many years ago (at a time when gas was expensive compared to our household income, but also just because he hated to waste resources) and I expect it will be pretty easy for me to get 500 km in the Kona in the summer.

CJC likes this.