ACC quirk

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by KClark, Feb 21, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

Not just emergency braking for no reason, but also going from downhill to uphill it always drops about 4 below the set speed, then floors it to catch up. I can smooth this out by bumping up the speed by 2 just before the uphill starts, then throttling back, but a lot of the times I just feel its easier to shut off cruise.

Atkinson likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Atkinson

Atkinson Active Member

I follow the same process all the way to giving up and doing it myself.

4. Walt R

Walt R Active Member

There were reports on an earlier thread that taking the car out of Econ, or even putting it in Sport, will make the ACC behave better, particularly not waiting as long to increase speed. I've only had one opportunity to try it but I think it helps. Any other reports on behavior specifically related to mode?

5. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

I found no change in going to sport when using cruise control, still drops the same 4 mph.

6. KClark

KClark Active Member

I’ve also found that the ACC sets itself to 1mph below the target speed most of the time. And, if I’m at a given speed and push the “Set” button to engage ACC it will always drop about 3 mph and then speed back up instead of just engaging at the current speed.

insightman likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the speedometer rounds down, so if you're going 29.7 it'll still say 29 instead of 30.

You need to keep your foot on the pedal and ease off slowly so the cruise control can take over. If you just immediately let your foot off, of course the car is going to slow down until the system can decide it needs to accelerate. All cruise control systems worth spit would prefer to lose some speed than accelerate beyond the set limit. It's not going to accelerate until it's sure the car is actually slowing down.

KentuckyKen likes this.
  9. KClark

KClark Active Member

I've tried that numerous times, tried to finesse it by keeping my foot on the accelerator, it hasn't worked, it always slows down after I take my foot off the accelerator and then speeds back up. And I've had cars for more than two decades with cruise control, none of them acted like my Clarity. All of them immediately engaged and maintained the cruising speed after I set it. I guess they weren't worth spit?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  10. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

Don't remember how all my cars acted, but I can say that my 2012 Prius Plugin behaved exactly like the Clarity when setting cruise control.

11. ClarityBill

ClarityBill Active Member

Seems like slowly taking my foot off the pedal makes it worse: The cruise will not pick up, until my foot is completely off the accelerator. My older cars would actually kick in as soon as I dropped below set speed, even if I still had my foot on the accelerator. With the Clarity, I can get 10+ mph below cruise speed, as long I still give it some 'gas'.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Groves Cooke

Groves Cooke Active Member

My car does not slow down when setting cruise control, Her is how I do it. Say I want to go 70mph. I his set at 65 or 66 and then hit the upper part of the control to speed up 4 or 5 time. Doesn't slow down and gets me where I want to be. That is how I do it in all the cars I drive. The Clarity is the only one with ACC.

14. Jaketesla

Jaketesla Member

Not sure if U.S. cars are the same but in Canada if you hold the upper part (resume +) of the cruise it will increase the set speed by 5 km/h increments. In your example Groves Cooke if I wanted to go 110 km/h I could set the speed at 100 and then instead of clicking the control 10 times I just need to hold it for a couple of seconds and it will increase to 105 then 110.

15. ClarityBill

ClarityBill Active Member

Jake:

My US car goes up in 5 mph increments. If you hold it for two 'counts' it will go to the next even 5 mph, three 'counts' it will go 10, four 'counts' 15.

16. Groves Cooke

Groves Cooke Active Member

"Not sure if U.S. cars are the same but in Canada if you hold the upper part (resume +) of the cruise it will increase the set speed by 5 km/h increments. In your example Groves Cooke if I wanted to go 110 km/h I could set the speed at 100 and then instead of clicking the control 10 times I just need to hold it for a couple of seconds and it will increase to 105 then 110."

If you tap it, it will go up 1 increment at a time. If you hold it, it goes up 5 increments at a time.

17. petteyg359

No it doesn't. It goes to the next multiple of five. If you start at 38 and hold, it goes to 40, not 43.

18. Richard_arch74

Richard_arch74 Active Member

I'm glad that you mentioned that (if you have sport mode on: the ACC resumes the set speed faster). I find it annoying that when pulling out in to the left lane to pass the slower car in front of you the ACC doesn't react, speed up, faster. There has to be about a 2 second waiting period before the car figures out there is no car in front of it. If you are in traffic, when pulling out, I have to give the ACC an assist so the car coming up on me in the left lane doesn't get pissed off as it climbs up my rear. Forget about using ACC in moderate to heavy traffic.
    As a comparison: while leasing and driving a ford fusion hybrid with ACC: the ACC was much more responsive (when merging into the left lane to pass the slower car in front of you). The ACC resumed to the set speed immediately.
    I'll try using sport mode next time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Inside EVs mobile app

19. That is so cool - I just tried it.

Thanks to Jake, Bill and Groves!

20. petteyg359

Yesterday I drove with ACC (Eco, both HV and EV) in many different traffic types. Every time I switched it on, it only took a fraction of a second to engage after I took my foot off, in no case long enough for the car to actually slow down, though the power meter did drop nearly into regen before cruise kicked in.