What type of vehicle were you previously driving before the Clarity?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by ab13, Feb 13, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

What type of vehicle were you mainly driving before driving the Clarity?

1. ICE only (internal combustion gas or diesel)

106 vote(s)
    65.4%
  2. Hybrid (e.g. Prius)

35 vote(s)
    21.6%
  3. PHEV (plug in hybrid vehicle with ICE engine)

16 vote(s)
    9.9%
  4. BEV (battery all electric vehicle)

8 vote(s)
    4.9%
  5. Other (e.g. natural gas, hydrogen, etc...)

3 vote(s)
    1.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Valente

Valente Active Member

I had a 2016 Ford Fusion Energi PHEV. Gutless and only 15 miles on a full charge.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Evfred

Evfred Member

Another previous 1st gen volt owner here. Honestly loved the Chevy, but the Honda is basically the volt but a little better in every single way.

Valente likes this.
  4. Johnhaydev

Johnhaydev Active Member

Sold a 2012 Lincoln MKZ hybrid to carmax, traded in a 2014 Honda Accord. We only need 1 car after moving. The few times we need 2 cars, we use Lyft.

5. sassnak

sassnak New Member

I had a 2016 Honda Fit which I loved, but it was totaled by an uninsured driver earlier this year. Fortunately I had uninsured motorist coverage.

There was a thread on a deal site I frequent talking about the great incentives for buying a Prius Prime, which introduced me to PHEVs. I loved the idea but didn't love the Prius Prime when I drove it, and if you think Honda's infotainment system is bad then don't ever consider a Toyota. I had a hard time deciding on the Clarity mostly because I love hatchbacks, but I ended up deciding that I'd rather have a non-hatch Honda than a non-Honda hatch PHEV. I liked everything else about the Clarity other than that it isn't a hatch and that it only comes in boring colors. At this point I'd say I love driving it and don't mind it not being a hatch, but I still wish I could've gotten it in a fun color!

Walt R likes this.
  6. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper New Member

I had a 2002 Honda Accord with 165,000 miles. It was in perfect shape and running condition. Just decided it was time to treat myself to something new. I absolutely love my new Honda Clarity (Storm Trooper)! I live in Phoenix Arizona and so far the vehicle shows me a 60-62 mile driving range each morning (no AC or heat being used yet). I typically drive 40 miles a day so I can do all my driving in Econ mode. The gas engine has come on a few of times for no apparent reason (no fast exhilaration, no hills, no low battery, no overcharged battery) so I have used about a gallon of gas in the 1700 miles I have on the vehicle. Does anyone know if there is a “stale gas” feature that would cause the engine to run periodically just so the gas doesn’t go bad?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. BigDaddy

BigDaddy New Member

I had a 2007 Silverado ext can long bed. I went to go look at a newly redesigned 2019 Silverado at the dealer and saw a volt. Drove that and thought it was cool. That turned me on to the plug in hybrid cars. After a few weeks, I decided on the Clarity. It was strange to me that they were not selling and the dealer knew nothing about the tax incentives. I talked them down 4000$ and got the 7500, 1000 from the state of PA and $500 from my employer for “going green”. $13k off the touring msrp. I thought it was too good to be true. And I love the car. I can’t believe they aren’t selling more! I still have the truck for truck things but I seldom drive it. I make excuses to drive the Clarity. 7 gallons of gas and 2500 miles since 10/18.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Richard_arch74 likes this.
  9. siddpup

siddpup New Member

The car it replaced was a 2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid. Great car, but our driving patterns changed when my job went from a primarily traveling position to a work from home and travel as needed position. My husband now drives the car most of the time, which means the 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac doesn’t see nearly as much service. Oh, and we each have a motorcycle as well-he has a Kawasaki Voyager and I have a Kawasaki Concours. The car actually cut down on my husband’s bike use as it is cheaper to drive the car than to ride the bike to work. That wasn’t true when he was primarily driving the truck. The bikes are now much more for weekend cruises and vacations than regular commuting.

10. Marvin Gordon

Marvin Gordon New Member

2013 Nissan Leaf. Put nearly 100K on it...

11. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

What was your experience with your Leaf's battery longevity? Do you live in a warm climate where battery life is more of a problem than in colder climates? The Leaf doesn't have a liquid cooling system like the Clarity PHEV.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Hobbesgsr

Hobbesgsr Active Member

Replaces my wife’s 2011 RX350 that ate Premium fuel. We don’t miss those weekly fill ups.

14. bfd

bfd Active Member

From Prius to PriusPHEV to Tesla S to Clarity, all in the past 9 years… all except the PriusPHEV are still in the family fleet and each serves a unique segment of travel!

15. Sdstork

Sdstork New Member

I had a 2013 CMax Energi. I liked the car but the Clarity had many advantage over the C Max especially the increase EV range. Very please so far with my Clarity’s performance.

16. Lepori

Lepori Member

Truly ancient corolla. Love the clarity but might love anything that wasn’t 20 years old.

17. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

2003 Subaru Outback. Early in its life the Lube it USA near me forgot to tighten the oil stopper. I stopped as quickly as I could with white smoke streaming out of it. At 130K miles head gasket work required- expensive. Headgasket failed again 5 years later at about 180K miles. Just too expensive to maintain.

I suspect that the engine was damaged (or related) by the oil stopper issue. I generally liked the Subaru but not cheap to operate. At about 22MPG and when I got busy I felt like I was constantly filling the tank at about $45/fill.

18. Tim66

Tim66 Active Member

2015 Chevy Volt. Loved the car and it did have a few features I like better than my Clarity. But Even though Chevrolet is discontinuing the car none of the dealers would come down on the price of the car.

19. Le Canadien

Le Canadien New Member

ford fusion se six speeds manuel engin 2.5. I drive 4 times 12 KM since y go homme for lunch and i am 1 hour at homme for lunch and can put recharge if i need on 220 votls.

20. Electra

Electra Active Member

Let me guess, Slickdeals?

I bought a 17 Prime Premium from that deal for $22k. I will get a tax credit of $4502. I traded it in for $21k after 15k miles.

21. lordsutch

lordsutch Member

I had a 2009 Nissan Altima 2.5SL that seemed close to being on its last legs, so it was time to upgrade and for my needs the Clarity was ideal (most or all of my commute on electric, along with the ability to go on long roadtrips in the southeast where DCFC infrastructure is years away from being sufficient for a non-Tesla EV). I'd originally been thinking about a Hyundai or Kia PHEV or possibly the Prius Prime—I'd ruled out the Volt as too small after driving a 2015 model for two weeks as a Turo rental out west—but the Clarity turned out to be the best option for me.

22. 2006 Honda Element. I loved the Element and still can't make myself sell it. I miss the easy entry, up-high seating, and the large and versatile cargo space. But the Clarity is fun to drive, and I only have to buy gas for out-of-town trips. I just wish Honda would bring back the Element as a PHEV. I'll bet they could fit a really big battery in it.

23. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

After writing to Honda repeatedly in vain to get the company to sell me their Europe-only Urban EV, I predict (with no hint or confirmation from anything I've read) that the Element will return as Honda's BEV for North America. It's clear that a small BEV like the Urban EV is deemed inappropriate for the land of gas-wasting SUV and crossover fanatics.