What type of vehicle were you previously driving before the Clarity?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by ab13, Feb 13, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

What type of vehicle were you mainly driving before driving the Clarity?

1. ICE only (internal combustion gas or diesel)

106 vote(s)
    65.4%
  2. Hybrid (e.g. Prius)

35 vote(s)
    21.6%
  3. PHEV (plug in hybrid vehicle with ICE engine)

16 vote(s)
    9.9%
  4. BEV (battery all electric vehicle)

8 vote(s)
    4.9%
  5. Other (e.g. natural gas, hydrogen, etc...)

3 vote(s)
    1.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

I have a BMW 528 and Land Rover Discovery Sport but when it came to renew the lease on the Land Rover, I decided I am tired of the awful reliability of a British car. Fuel mileage is not very good at 18MPG and was tired of going to the pumps every week.

So I got this Clarity a few months before the Land Rover lease is returned and loving it!

Keeping this Clarity and BMW for the long term....

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Roger Lambert

Roger Lambert Member

2004 Infiniti G35 coupe. Very different vehicle!

4. Richard_arch74

Richard_arch74 Active Member

The Clarity replaced a 2001 Camry xle with 150k miles. Loved the car and very little maintenance issues other than the typical tire replacement, oil changes, brake jobs, etc. The reason we purchased (and traded the camry) was to put our toes in the water to try out the world of PHEV's. The $7.5k tax credit gave us the incentive we needed (not sure we would have w/o tax credit) Prior to the Clarity we had never driven a hybrid, BEV or PHEV. So far we are pleased with our Clarity purchase.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Inside EVs mobile app

5. KClark

KClark Active Member

2001 Ford F150 supercrew with 5.7L V8. If I drove carefully and only did 60mph on the freeway I could get about 16mpg out of it. I was putting $40-$45 dollars of relatively cheap gas into it every week. But I remodeled a house and relandscaped a yard with it over the last 10 years so having a truck was worth it. With the big projects completed and the truck showing its age I went shopping. I wasn't looking for a plug in hybrid, not even really looking for a hybrid since I find Prius's annoying and ugly. But the federal and state rebates sealed the deal for me, without them I would probably have bought an Accord, maybe the hybrid. That's why I'm not very concerned with the discussions about expensive electricity and cheap gas and the Clarity, coming from that truck it's all a win for me.

I have a 44 mile roundtrip commute and after 8 weeks I think it's a perfect commuting car for me, I come home with about 10-12 EV miles remaining from the full charge I leave with in the morning. I'm trying to convince my employer to put in some chargers, if they do it will be even more perfect. Tomorrow I'm leaving on a long weekend trip from LA to St. George Utah with three adults and luggage. It will be my first experience with long distance travel in it and I'm interested to see how it goes.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    Walt R likes this.
  6. ClarityMTL

ClarityMTL New Member

2000 Civic SE Coupe with 270k Km (167k miles). I always said I would run it into the ground. I knew it was getting close to the end in September and that's when I placed my order for the Clarity, and there were no more 2018s available. The Civic finally died on Jan 1, 2019, about 40 days before the Clarity arrived (total wait time: 144 days!).

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. rockstone

rockstone New Member

2003 Toyota camry SE 5 speed. Traded in @ 295k. Zero issues, original clutch. Got peanuts for it obviously..

9. izudin

izudin Member

MA
    2007 Volvo S60

10. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

2000 Insight, 2006 Insight (still driving), 2010 Insight (still driving), 2018 Clarity (still driving). In a series of letters I've been begging Honda to sell me (and other North American drivers) their Urban EV (or whatever they eventually call it), which would replace the two Insights and force me to change my handle.

upload_2019-2-14_13-45-17.png

Attached Files:

11. Richard_arch74

Richard_arch74 Active Member

Good luck with that. Hope you get a chance to change your handle to @urbanman. I can wait to see the 2020 or 21 Pilot to replace my 2018 Explorer.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Ash

Ash New Member

Traded in my Mercedes E350 Bluetec(Diesel engine), love driving my new Clarity more

14. Olimpia

Olimpia Member

2007 Toyota RAV 4 with 200K miles

15. GHTech

GHTech Member

Drove a 2016 Ford Focus Electric (FFE) for nearly 3 years (lease), and the Clarity Electric is the replacement for it. The Clarity is a more comfortable car, with a lot of features. Even though the electric range is close (89 Clarity vs 72 FFE), the Clarity seems to have more range for my short commute. The FFE was a fun car to drive. Backseat space is no comparison. The Clarity does take a lot longer to clear windows, etc. after being parked outside overnight. This is considering the mild winters that we have in So. Cal. So, each has it's pros and cons. :)

16. Yonno

Yonno New Member

2012 Acura TL SH-AWD with 140K mi. Have 14 K on my Clarity Touring since May 2018. Aside from the big range hit in cold weather I am very happy with this car.

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

17. volt-clarity

volt-clarity New Member

First and second generation Prius followed by a Chevrolet Volt.

18. Umm Yeah

Umm Yeah New Member

Car2Go. We only had one car, a 2010 Prius (aka the Gas Guzzler), that my wife drives to work and I used a car sharing service. I got a new job in a different city that Car2Go doesn't service.

KentuckyKen and chris5168 like this.
  19. DVoran

DVoran Member

Mercedes Benz CLA-250

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

20. chris5168

chris5168 Member

2014 Volkswagen CC due to family (5 of us, when it’s back to two of us GTi or GTe!) but also have 2014 Odyssey for longer family trips and second vehicle.

21. Mesa

Mesa Member

Traded a 2009 Lexus 250.

22. ab13

ab13 Active Member

Thanks for the responses, I'm partly surprised that the majority so far are coming from gas cars directly into a brand new platform.

ClarityPHEVer likes this.
  23. tterag

tterag Member

We had a 2012 Camry Hybrid that we loved and planned on taking to 300k miles. Turns out the oil change tech thought we should do something different sooner and forgot to return fresh oil to the engine. That happened at 106k miles. We've been wanting either a EV or PEV for a while and decided that was enough incentive to make the move. Hoping the Clarity will be a great long term car.