Hyundai Kona Electric prices in U.S.

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Domenick, Jan 28, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Prices are now available for the Kona Electric in the U.S.! Finally!

SEL: $36,450
    Limited: $41,150
    Ultimate: $44,650

SEL is the base package, of course. Limited adds features, including:
    • LED headlights
    • Power tilt-and-slide sunroof
    • Side mirrors with turn-signal indicators
    • Leather seating surfaces
    • Power driver seat with lumbar adjustment
    Ultimate features include:
    • Includes Limited features plus:
    • Rain-sensing wipers
    • Parking Distance Warning - Reverse
    • Heated steering wheel
    • Ventilated front seats
    • Smart Cruise Control with Stop and Go

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    skypros and whos_ur_buddah like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I want this puppy so bad. Have to figure out where to get one since I live in Oregon, but I'll drive to California.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Domenick likes this.
  4. According to this statement -- The automaker says it will also ship the Kona Electric to dealers in non-ZEV states if they have a “sold order.” -- it sounds like you should be able to buy one in Oregon. I believe you just have to make arrangements with your dealer. (More in this InsideEVs post)

If you try it and they say no-go, let me know and maybe I can get some more clarity from U.S. corporate communications.

5. Hmmm, I'll give it a try. I called a couple dealers a few weeks ago and at that point they didn't know anything. At least one dealer put my name on his contact list. But that's about it.

My wife has a Hyundai Elantra and it's a great car for an ICE vehicle. Looking forward to getting rid of my ice. It's 13 years old, time to get something new.

Almost bought a Bolt last year but the dealers were so uncooperative, so it never happened.

6. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

I would expect Tonkin in Gladstone to have one in stock as soon as they are available to order. They have an Ioniq EV on the lot the last time I checked. Oregon is a ZEV state.

Domenick likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Nice, I'll check with them ...

9. Even the SEL is light years from my mid-trim 10yo ICE in terms of appointments. Given a fixed pool of funds, I'm looking at either a nicely appointed car with moderate range (Leaf SV) or a less-appointed car with good range (Kona, Leaf+).

Wondering if anyone else is nervous about getting a Kona in a non-ZEV state. If my EV is the only one my dealer sees, is servicing going to be a problem?

10. davidtm

davidtm Active Member

I'm having the same anxiety about a Kia Niro EV . . .

Mike L likes this.
  11. Yeah, definitely an issue. Keep your eyes and ears open when you talk to them and listen really carefully. If you get any feeling they are not up to the job, find another service center.

But honestly, that's true for ice cars too. Took me several years to find a service center that I trust with my current ride (Toyota Corolla).

A friend had an experience with a Ford service center and an ice car that was terrible even though they had a pretty good rating on Google. Tried to tell her she needed a new AC system and wanted to charge $5000. We told them on the phone to not touch the car, and picked it up immediately. The next service center said that everything is fine with the AC, just had to be recharged.

Terrible to say it, but there are a lot of crooks out there.

However, don't be afraid to let them know when you think something is fishy!

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. A half-assed dealer may do a bad job replacing a muffler, but they won't look at a bad muffler and say "Um, I've never seen one of these, and I'm not sure I can fix it." That's the experience I fear with an EV, due to low penetration in my neck of the woods.

14. You're right, but I'd prefer the guy to not replace the muffler if he's doing a bad job. Because it'll brake again and I'll pay again.

At least, if they tell you they've never done anything like it they are honest. Definitely preferable.

15. zoominbc

zoominbc Active Member

I have been through the service intervals and there is really very little to do, I suspect the tricky parts are all the electronic controls relating to semi autonomous driving and displays etc. There isn't a lot of difference in these features to the ICE Kona. The GM CEO said they had never replaced a Bolt battery under warranty so even the dealers selling EV's will not have that much experience with the EV specific components. Might be worth getting an extended warranty.

Mike L likes this.
  16. I just talked to them and they say, they don't have any information other than that it should be available in the first quarter. They took my contact info, and that's it so far.

17. Lawrence Rhodes

Lawrence Rhodes New Member

18. Yes. That is the only version coming to the U.S.

19. Johnny Mars

Johnny Mars Member

Yeah, I hear ya. Try living in a "rolling coal" state like Florida. We get the EV crumbs. I'm holding out for the bigger Niro EV, but I'm not liking the pricing. Can't wait for the VW ID line to bring on the competition and the prices down. The Chinese are also on the horizon. I just saw a video about a German company, Soon Motors, with a SION EV with solar cells on the body that can give it 18 miles of range on sun alone, plus an on-board battery and fast charger that gets about 150 miles of range! It's got some innovative features, such as air filtering, bi-directional power for tools on job sites, open source repairs and manuals, and do-it-yourself maintenance and tutorials. There are 10,000 orders so far! No word when it's coming to the US, and it's a crowdfunding company with a bunch of highly-intelligent German millennials trying to shake up the system and make things affordable for the masses, LIKE ELON PROMISED AND NEVER DELIVERED. https://sonomotors.com/sion.html/

Mattsburgh and CJC like this.
  20. advid

advid New Member

I've contacted a few dealers in Texas so far and mostly gotten the runaround. Despite Hyundai corporate publicly stating they'll ship to any state with a committed order, I have yet to find a dealer willing or capable of taking mine. I really hope the Kona isn't vaporware for most of the country

21. Sibilance

Sibilance New Member

Now you have me curious about the Austin area. Not really in the market for a car right this moment, but I was hoping to see ONE Kona at some point down here.

Austin South Point Hyundai even mentions the Kona EV at the bottom of its Kona inventory page:

"Have You Considered A New 2019 Hyundai Kona Electric?
    Perhaps one of the most exciting changes in the 2019 model year, is the addition of a purely electric Hyundai Kona. With an estimated 250-mile electric range, easy charging capabilities, and a plethora of tax credits, the electric Kona is prepared to wow you with its fuel-efficient powertrains and save you more money in the process."

Taken from here, at the very bottom: https://www.southpointhyundai.com/new/2019-hyundai-kona.htm

Domenick likes this.
  22. Raleigh

Raleigh New Member

Been contacting dealers in LA metro area...also used Edmunds and TrueCar...here is the email I received with crazy mark-ups from MSRP at this dealer:
    [​IMG]
    Glendale Hyundai

411 S Brand Blvd, Glendale, CA 91204

Hi gary,

Thanks for your interest in Glendale Hyundai. Go ahead and review our in-stock offers. Here’s my contact info, talk to you soon!

[​IMG]
    Ash Edwards

Internet Sales Manager

(626) 223-6001

[​IMG]
    2019 Hyundai Kona EV SEL
    VIN: KM8K23AG7KU022195

[​IMG]
    MSRP: $37,935

Your TruePrice

$41,023

View Offer

Issued to gary wimenitz

2019 Hyundai Kona EV Ultimate
    VIN: KM8K53AG8KU024433

[​IMG]
    MSRP: $45,980

Your TruePrice

$49,107

View Offer

Issued to gary wimenitz

2019 Hyundai Kona EV Limited
    VIN: KM8K33AG2KU024966

[​IMG]
    MSRP: $45,980

Your TruePrice

$49,277

View Offer

Issued to gary wimenitz

VIN: KM8K33AG1KU024392

[​IMG]
    MSRP: $42,565

Your TruePrice

$45,788

View Offer

Issued to gary wimenitz

VIN: KM8K33AG2KU023574

[​IMG]
    MSRP: $42,565

Your TruePrice

$45,788

23. Wow, that's quite a markup for some of those. Puts it very much in line with the Mid Range Tesla Model 3 price ($42,900). :confused: