Question about registration fee for Clarity [NY]

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by kunz427, Jan 31, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. kunz427

kunz427 Member

Hi All,
    When I bought my Clarity, I paid $60 for registration which was set by the Honda dealership in NY. My dealer sent me a letter this month saying that registration is actually $240 for the Clarity and that I owe them $180. Anyone else had to pay that much for registering their Clarity?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. JimW

JimW Active Member

My state (TN) charges extra $100 to register BEV, but PHEVs are not included. States do this when raising gas taxes and citizens complain that EV owners are not helping to support road maintenance.

4. izudin

izudin Member

MA
    Go to NY DMV web site and find out how much you should pay: https://process.dmv.ny.gov/regfeecalc/

5. kunz427

kunz427 Member

Thanks! I get an estimation of $66. So i guess the dealer is trying to pull a fast 1.

upload_2019-1-31_16-46-45.png

Attached Files:

6. qtpie

qtpie Active Member

In California, we have to pay the following 4 fees at time of purchase:
    1. Vehicle License Fee: $222.00
    2. Registration/Transfer/Titling Fee: $206.00
    3. California Smog Abatement Fee: $7.00
    4. Other (probably charged by dealer): $20.00
    Total: $455.00

We just received our registration renewal for this year. Renewal fee is $427... so you should be happy if you pay less than this... :)

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. JCA

JCA Active Member

In California the first item (Vehicle License Fee) is in lieu of local property taxes. In many states, every town collects property taxes on your cars separate from the DMV registration -- and at least in CT where I did a quick look they are all much higher, on the order or $700+ per year on a $30,000 car. And there's complexity with every town billing separately, people registering cars at addresses in lower-mill-rate towns, etc.

While CA taxes are indeed very high in other areas, car taxes are often lower when compared apples to apples. Similarly, real estate property tax *rates* are lower than many other states, although the higher property values negate that more than they do with cars, which are sold for similar prices nationwide.

9. Is this a transfer of a registration or a new registration. I am in Tompkins County and my registration fee, verified on the Motor vehicles site, was $164.

10. izudin

izudin Member

MA
    Not necessarily.
    You have selected "gas" as a fuel type, and I am not sure if that is correct or not. I don't live in NY and it really doesn't concern me, but I tried to see what would be the fee for different fuel types. As "Hybrid" is not an option I tried "Flex" and "Other" and got $226.00 in both cases. For "Electric", the result was $187.50

11. kunz427

kunz427 Member

It's a transfer. The dealership say that they paid for transferring the registration and for renewal of registration.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. kunz427

kunz427 Member

Good point. I'm not sure what catergory PHEV would fall under here.