New Charging Port Light available

Discussion in 'Bolt EV' started by Larry Polyak, Nov 9, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Larry Polyak

Larry Polyak New Member

Hi All. I got so frustrated trying to plug the charger into my Bolt at night that I came up with a solution and thought I'd see if anyone else would buy it. I would appreciate any feedback.
    See www.chargerlight.com
    [​IMG]

Devin_GSEVA likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. William Laven

William Laven New Member

Love it. I rarely plug in at night, but if I do I'll get one of yours. I've read on other forums and Facebook groups how much folks like it.

4. Devin_GSEVA

Devin_GSEVA New Member

Wow this is great! Much better than the $300CAD factory option.

5. larrenz

larrenz Member

Cool. I like the fact that it is easy to install and doesn't use wiring.

6. rgmichel

rgmichel Active Member

Only in terms of price. The factory option has a cool factor that is not even approached by this Rube Goldberg device, and the factory option is fully in tune with the sophistication of the Chevy Bolt EV.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Devin_GSEVA

Devin_GSEVA New Member

True it does look "cool", but is it $300 cool? Debatable. It should have been a factory option in the first place.

9. rgmichel

rgmichel Active Member

No question about that, but it would probably have put the price of the car up anyway. The GM accessory is definitely the best option, but if you are worried about price, go for the cheap option.

10. JasonMichael

JasonMichael New Member

No doubt about it. If nothing else it should have been standard on the premier.
    You can find it cheaper than ordering it directly from GM and my understanding is that you can install it yourself. However, it does state that it requires a software flash to work correctly. Different forums Ive read are pointing to the 2018/19 have the update already and the 17 requiring the flash. My 18 worked without the flash.

11. Devin_GSEVA

Devin_GSEVA New Member

I just recieved mine and it's awesome. Such a simple thing that could have been added at factory.

Also if you want a Canadian distributor, let me know ;) IMG_20190220_164206.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Inside EVs mobile app

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. rgmichel

rgmichel Active Member

The GM accessory is much better than this as it is fully integrated into the car, but if you want a cheap light, this is just fine.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  14. Devin_GSEVA

Devin_GSEVA New Member

Yes but like I said before it's very expensive for what it does.

15. Dimitrij

Dimitrij New Member

A good, down-to-earth solution to another annoying attempt by GM to sabotage the Bolt :)

16. Devin_GSEVA

Devin_GSEVA New Member

Sad to say the light died on me. I tried to replace the batteries and now it doesn't work. RIP cheap light haha.

17. Larry Polyak

Larry Polyak New Member

I am sorry to hear that. I will send you a new one.

Devin_GSEVA likes this.
  18. Devin_GSEVA

Devin_GSEVA New Member

Wow that is awesome. I honestly don't know what is wrong. I measured the voltage on the board and the LED is getting power - it could be the switch that failed.

19. saywatt

saywatt New Member

With normal use (1 time per night charge) how long do the batteries last?

20. Devin_GSEVA

Devin_GSEVA New Member

Hey thanks for sending me a replacement, I received it and it's working great.

I determined that the switch is what went bad on the old one. I removed it and connected a wire and it's working.

We had a lot of really cold temps when I had it installed so I'm wondering if that's what broke it (-40c).