EU sales data

Discussion in 'General' started by bwilson4web, Jan 24, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Picked this up on Autoline Daily: https://lmc-auto.com/europe-hybrid-ev-car-market/

Sales of electrified passenger cars in Western Europe’s 17 markets totalled an impressive 900,000 units in 2018 with a growth rate of 27% YoY. Of these, 335,000 were plug-ins with 190,000 being battery electric vehicles (BEVs) and 150,000 being plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs). As recently as 2017, PHEVs marginally outsold BEVs, but BEVs have now opened up a lead in the region’s plug-in sector.
    . . .

This might make a nice compare and contrast between USA and EU adoption.

Bob Wilson

Pushmi-Pullyu and Domenick like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Gasper

Gasper New Member

Considering that there were 0 sales of Model 3 in EU in 2018, I would say that next year EU will surpass the US.

Also interesting is the non-plug hybrid sales, where in US the numbers are dropping in EU they are rising and already surpassing US numbers (515,000).

It looks like people in EU are switching from diesel (was 50% of market) to any alternative possible.

Domenick likes this.
  4. TheMagster

TheMagster Member

That is interesting to see. It seems to me that the driving demands of the average European are much less than the average North American, as the driving distances are so much less. Having a great train network for long distance travel makes a difference too. So it doesn't surprise me that EVs are catching on more quickly in Europe, where range is less of an issue, gas is more expensive, and compact economy cars are more popular.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Each EU country like USA States has unique energy and terrain. Poland is wedded to coal while Norway has hydro and France radioactive glows at night. Some are flat and Switzerland is the Alps. So a country-by-country report would give more insights.

Regardless, you can only deal with the data you have. Certainly VW accelerated EV adoption.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  6. Gasper

Gasper New Member

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

Pulling out my calculator...

If 900,000 cars equals a 27% YoY growth, then 335,000 equals 10% YoY growth.

Rather disappointing IMHO. I expect that the more generous tax breaks given by the U.S. Federal government and by California and other States, is helping plug-in EV sales here a lot.
    :(

9. Gasper

Gasper New Member

Please explain how you came to this wrong assumption:
    "If 900,000 cars equals a 27% YoY growth, then 335,000 equals 10% YoY growth."

According to http://ev-sales.blogspot.com/ there were 306143 plug-in cars sold in 2017, and 345000 YTD November 2018, add another month and you have around ~27% plug-in cars growth growth. From 2016 to 2017, the growth was 34%.

Toyota sold 18% more hybrids than last year in Europe, last year +38%

10. Pushmi-Pullyu

Well, I thank you for pointing out my -- in hindsight -- rather obvious error in logic. D'oh!

But as for how I came up with that number... I did show my work. ;)

[​IMG]

P.S. -- What is "growth growth"?
    :D

11. Jimmy Truong

Jimmy Truong Member

9EE27758-3A63-4354-9ABC-C249F775E211.jpeg
    Zero sale in EU? I have been seeing this in the last few months. If these are not intended for Euro plates, I don’t know what are!

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Pushmi-Pullyu

Gasper is correct; there were zero Tesla Model 3 sales in the EU in 2018.

If you saw some Model 3's last year, they were probably there for either testing purposes, or advance shipments of display models. They couldn't have been sold in the EU because Tesla only very recently got approval to sell them there.

I suppose it's possible someone bought a few in the U.S. and had them shipped to Europe, but that would be problematic because European Tesla cars use a different charging plug than U.S. Tesla cars. Again not impossible; I suppose someone could get them retrofitted with a European plug in a customizing shop.

But most likely those cars were for testing or display only.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  14. shamsharma

shamsharma New Member

Great information