Side Mirror Well Designed

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Geor99, Dec 29, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

My car was attacked by a motorcyclist last night. He rode at a high speed and hit my side view mirror with his hand as hard as it appeared he could.

I coul dnt help but think that he was risking ruining his arm/hand for life just to break the mirror of a stranger.

I drive like an old man, and I swear that I don't believe that I cut him off in any way. Of course, his license plate was filled with mud so I couldnt report him.

Anyway the mirror was spun about 60 degrees. I mean he hit it really, really hard. I pulled over, put some muscle into straightening it out; and it's still in perfect shape.

Ironically , I just installed a dashcam the day before; but I haven't purchased the memory card yet- my luck.

I take solice in knowing that eventually this guy will learn a painful lesson if he keeps attacking strangers at high speeds.

If this had happened with my Accord , Is be facing a multi 100 dollar repair Bill.

Well done, Honda, with your side mirror design.

Jennifer B, PHEVDave and ClarityDoc like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MNSteve

MNSteve Well-Known Member

I didn't realize until we had the car for a while that the outside mirrors were foldable. I showed my wife. Then a while later when I was driving I realized that when you demonstrate the folding-in, you really need to remember to demonstrate the folding-out.

4. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

My mirror went out 60 degrees from normal. I thought for sure it was destroyed; but it's designed for a high speed impact. These are very expensive to replace.

Honda did an excellent job on this design.

5. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

It would be nice if you could automatically fold them in and out.

At work, the 2 Teslas are always parked with both side mirrors folded in. I would guess that they automatically fold in when parked.

Once again, these mirror housings cost a fortune to repair/replace. I am extremely pleased that Honda designed them so robustly!!!

6. guinness10

guinness10 New Member

That is a feature I wish the Clarity had. My wife’s Toyota Sienna has mirrors that are retracted with a button press. Makes parking in our garage and other places much easier!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

That motorcyclist was insane. A lot of people will react by swerving their cars when they hear a sudden impact, thus knocking off and likely killing the motorcyclist. I doubt that guy will be around much longer if that's typical of his behavior. He's lucky you are someone who drives like "an old man" with full control of his automobile.

9. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

He had to have thought that I cut him off or something. If I did, I have no recollection of it.

It was so fast and I was going so slowly (under 10mph,) that I couldn't have swerved much.

He definitely did it on purpose as he rode in front of me with his finger extended.

Back to the point, it withstood the blow perfectly. It's designed to rotate much further than you would imagine.

I am definitely getting my dashcam up and running asap. I'm also looking into trying to record the side and rear video from the clarity cameras .

How hard can that be?:)

10. Interestingly, I saw a post where a person thought that the folding mirrors meant folding OUTWARDS and routinely folded the mirrors in that direction until realizing that it is meant to fold IN.

I couldn’t believe that my Clarity is more flexible than I am so I tried it myself. Sure enough, the mirrors fold both ways! Must do more yoga...my 4000 lb car is showing me up.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Jennifer B and MPower like this.
  11. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

Hopefully you'll never have that experience again. It has always been my understanding when I ride a motorcycle that I have everything to lose and nothing to gain by any sort of contact with another vehicle or object. I go to great lengths to avoid such. So like others have said, if that person does this with any regularity, they may not be around much longer. "Really bad idea" doesn't even cover it, even if their intent was to upset you; they're still way more at risk.

Jennifer B likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Arlington Clarity

Arlington Clarity New Member

So *How* are they folded? (It doesn't appear in the paper Owner's Guide)

14. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

I have to disagree they're good, I have to park my car as far to the right as possible in my garage, and I went over too far one time. Backing up the right mirror hit the door trim and instead of folding forward it broke. Luckily I was able to epoxy it back together and so far it has held. Dealer estimate was $800 to fix.

15. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Grab mirror, fold back.

16. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

My local car wash (unlimited washes for $22/month) occasionally folds my mirrors for me - sometimes in, sometimes out. 80% of the time nothing happens to either side. They are relatively easy to fold back to normal position. I had a '17 Civic Si prior to my Clarity, and most of the time, the passenger mirror would end up folded in, towards the car.