Winter Wheels and Tires plus a little dent

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Viking79, Dec 14, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Viking79

Viking79 Well-Known Member

Getting close to 30,000 miles. Decided to put winter tires on this year (probably another 20,000 on OEM tires, but they aren't as good on snow this year).

Bought from Discount Tire Direct. The Atom 17x7 steel wheel with Michelin X-Ice Xi3 tires 225/55R17 (size in stock and fairly cheap). $900 mounted, balanced and shipped.

20181214_131522.jpg 20181214_122314.jpg
    20181123_104436.jpg
    And after a Rav4 backs into your car ;) They claim $2500 for the door and some touch up to quarter panel. Door is incredibly strong, still works perfect despite hard hit.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

That's amazing the door still worked! Mushed up pretty good.

Good choice on the tires. You'll like them ;)

Viking79 likes this.
  4. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

Pretty good price on that body repair. Not knowing the price of the replacement door itself...I do know that in order to get that metallic silver color to match on the door, they'll do much more than "touch up" the 1/4 panel. Any good shop will do a partial paint blend and a full clearcoat on the entire front door, as well as the entire 1/4 panel, then also add the associated removal of all the trim and moldings and lights on both panels to ensure clean edges and no masking lines. Without doing this, that door paint will never match the rest of the car. A good body shop estimate for that repair should have 20 to 30 lines and operations on it explaining all of these individual operations, which will include removing rear bumper, tailight, a full blown disassemble of the interior and exterior of the front door, and many other things. Make sure the body shop is doing it right or you'll be disappointed in the outcome.

I'm a retired claim adjuster who worked with body shops daily for over 25 years....

AlAl and Viking79 like this.
  5. Viking79

Will do. I am probably exaggerating when I say touch up, probably doing more as you say, but I will keep an eye on it. I didn't see the quote. I have seen "those" cars with different color doors :)

Thanks for bringing it up though, I will make sure to go with when my wife takes it in.

6. chris5168

chris5168 Member

Thanks for posting. Looks like wheels specs: 17x7 ET38

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Nemesis

Nemesis Active Member

Sorry to hear about the Rav4 accident but glad no one was injured. I'm on the fence with winter tires this year. I do plan to get them but maybe next year. Additionally, I am impressed you amassed 30,000 miles so far. I think that's the highest miles I've heard of for the Clarity. Would love to read a 30,000 miles review.

9. Viking79

I am writing one this weekend, exactly 1 year today ;) I think some will catch us soon as they drive more per month. Road trips and lots of daily miles too.

Yeah, just a minor incident in a driveway (mom backed into it).

10. Viking79

Yes, they are doing work to front door as well, and looks like total was $3,000 ($2500 from insurance).

20181214_205821.jpg 20181214_205833.jpg

11. WantEV

WantEV Member

ugh family collisions are the worst! few years ago, my wife and i had new cars and she backed into mine. I was rightfully livid!

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

That’s a legit and professional estimate based on the photo....that’s what I’d expect on a repair such as that. Thanks for posting it!

Viking79 likes this.