How to Improve the Clarity

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by David Towle, Nov 22, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. MNSteve

MNSteve Well-Known Member

You did a great job of expressing exactly my question. It seems that if I even look hard at the accelerator while at a constant speed on a flat stretch of highway, the gear icon evaporates. I would think that they would want to take advantage of the efficiency of direct-connect as much as possible, and there should be plenty of power available assuming there's battery capacity. I am sure there is logic here and that we don't understand it because we don't have all the inputs.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

Its much worse if you want to put it in cruise control, that throws the power demand all over the place as it falls behind, then slams the throttle to keep up, etc. A decently responsive cruise control function would improve the situation quite a bit. I wonder if that's something that could be fixed with just a software update?

Daniel M W and Randy Stegbauer like this.
  4. Jarome

Jarome New Member

Needs much faster infotainment system. Everything is too slow and sluggish. If I make a right turn, often the carema does not come on before I have made the turn. The backup camera can be slow to come on, or remain after I am going forward. And changing channels via the touchscreen can be frustrating.
    Needs a rear window wiper!

5. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

And there are times when the Source button isn't available. I want it on screen all the time in Audio mode.

Also when we get into the car it's impossible to turn the radio off until the car clears the startup cycle. I guess a volume on/off real physical button would solve that too.

6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

You can use the up/down buttons on the steering wheel to change between FM and AM and the right/left buttons to select a preset station. I don't use any other sources so that's all I'm familiar with, but using those direction buttons gives instant results, they're so much faster than groping the touch-screen.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. David Towle

Agreed its all way too slow. Another slow thing in this car and every other car I've ever been in are the power seats. Why do they have to be so slow? That was one more reason for me to get the base model to avoid them, I can just slide from my wife's setting in an instant and be on my way.

Atkinson and Randy Stegbauer like this.
  9. jdonalds

Of course you are correct insightman. I do use the steering wheel control but I'll have to train myself. I naturally reach for the tablet.

Randy Stegbauer likes this.
  10. ClarityPHEVer

ClarityPHEVer Member

All of the big things have already been mentioned, but I have a few small things I wish it had. I’d like the trunk to be balanced so that it didn’t have to be lifted all of the way up to stay open and not fall shut, and a rear window wiper would be super useful. Also, I’d like the dew to be squeegeed off when the windows are rolled down. This the first car I’ve encountered that doesn’t do that.

11. jdonalds

The Clarity, like some other cars I've owned, can clear the windows if you just apply some pressure to push the window outward as you lower/raise it.

ClarityPHEVer likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. David Towle

Why on earth should you have to do that, just seems like they did a 50 cent cost saving to eliminate the squegee against the glass.

14. jdonalds

The squeegee is there. It just doesn't touch the window when the window is down.

15. I would suspect that is possible. There are many things that could be fixed or changed with software. In this thread someone mentioned turning off regen-braking. Maybe pulling on the right paddle with no chevrons displayed? I would like a way to put it in pure EV mode...maybe holding down the EV button? Maybe someone will hack the software and make this available...and then void the warranty of course.

16. I haven't been able to get it to clean the window with pressure. :-( I guess we should complain enough to make this a recall?

17. David Towle

It would have been nice if the Clarity looked the same but was actually a hatchback. For the obvious reason, yes, so you can load stuff in more easily, but also today I tried to clean the film off the inside of the rear window and it was about impossible to get in there. Need to be a contortionist or have 40" long arms to do it. The front window is not easy either but much better than the rear.

The Gadgeteer likes this.
  18. jdonalds

We use one of these https://www.amazon.com/XINDELL-Microfiber-Windshield-Cleaning-Detachable/dp/B01CA0OVCU/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1544667898&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=inside+windshield+cleaning+tool&psc=1

19. Atkinson

Atkinson Active Member

This engine doesn't put out much power at the RPMs for 55 or 65 MPH when in engine mode.
    I think it's around 25% on the power dial at 55-65 MPH.
    The battery makes up the difference after that and if you draw it down too fast, the computer will try to "catch up" by unlocking the clutch for more RPM and power.
    This allows the engine to put out more power (for the same road speed) and charge the battery back to the HV range you started with.
    Atkinson cycle engines make very little power in the low end and start making power in the mid to upper RPM range.
    That's the trade-off for a flexible and very efficient gas engine.

20. stacey burke

stacey burke Active Member

I have no real improvements except the software. When we need upgrades you should be able to push it using your WIFI instead of needing to go to the dealer.

Daniel M W and Randy Stegbauer like this.
  21. insightman

Honda is protecting you from finding this screen appear after you press the ON button.

upload_2018-12-13_11-42-58.png

Attached Files:

22. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

I hope you're not serious... Tesla figured out OTA updates, phone makers have been doing OTA updates for even longer, and Microsoft has been doing automatic updates for Windows even longer than that. As long as the casual user can't install their own programs, the only risk is losing your encryption and signing keys, and again revocation and backup keys have been a thing for decades.

23. insightman

Phones are hacked all the time. Is it completely certain that no Tesla will ever be hacked? In any case, Honda likes having you come to their service centers.