Clarity Issues

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by jdonalds, Dec 22, 2017.

To remove this ad click here.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Well-Known Member

OK folks - I tried calling the owner site numbers, direct email, and now I have opened the following support ticket on their website:

CASE CREATED: - 06640380
    TOPIC
    Product(s)
    SUB TOPIC
    Concern
    DESCRIPTION
    You need to open a private forum for registered Clarity PHEV owners with issues about the new car. Your dealers know next to nothing about these vehicles (many don't even know they exist). At http://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?forums/clarity.53/ we have started cataloging some of these issues. The consensus is this is the best vehicle any of us has ever owned (many Prius converts like myself), but there are issues that need immediate attention, such as: (1) the HV range indicator is broken - it will show potential ranges of 500 plus miles HV only, and often will not drop even one or two tic marks at 3 gallons consumed; (2) EV range indicator likewise broken, but not as badly; (3) the SiriusXM radio will crash at random times once you use the remote climate control; (4) unidentifiable noises coming from different parts of the vehicle while parked; (5) after hard acceleration in EV mode, activating the ICE, it will not return to EV mode until you completely turn off the car; (6) battery "leakage" while driving in HV mode - in a 300 mile trip, all HV, I went from 48.1 HV mile range to 14.3 miles - it is supposed to preserve battery for end point EV operation if that is what you want; (7) it needs a battery warmer, even in generally warmer climates like West Texas. None of the problems we are finding are earth shattering, but you need to be collecting real time data from owners now that it is in the field, not just your point in time JD Power survey. You will also find there are MANY suggestions for your consideration in 2019 and 2020 from these same folks (Eg - EV lock to prevent starting the ICE until battery level requires that; increase recharge rate in HV to 80% of capacity; ventilating the front seat - no need for direct AC but just to cool them off with cabin air; hatchback option)

Here's the address and I encourage everyone to open a ticket ASAP - don't know if it will work but what can it hurt at this point:

Honda Owner Support

FYI - I knew going in that I would have to become more knowledgeable than my local dealer given this is such a new and rare vehicle (have not seen another in my travels in West and Central Texas) and NO ONE I have talked to even knew it existed, INCLUDING some Honda dealers.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. dstrauss

PS - one "suggestion" I did not make, but is the best one yet, is that they put the ICE in the BEV model, and give us a PHEV with nearly 100 mile range AND unlimited HV range - I'll even give up some trunk space for the added gas tank. In fact, that would be a near PERFECT hatch back design to compensate for giving up the additional trunk space!

4. dstrauss

PPS - new issue (reported to Honda above): after hard acceleration in EV mode, activating the ICE, it will not return to EV mode until you completely turn off the car. Anyone else experience this?

5. Ken7

Ken7 Active Member

I think I would remove #4. All of these electric or electric/hybrid cars make noises. So they will accurately tell you this is normal.

I think I’d also toss #7, since we’re talking about issues with the equipment currently provided. I don’t think I’d add to the list ‘missing features’. If we did that, rear cross-traffic alarm would head my list.

dstrauss and jdonalds like this.
  6. dstrauss

I can agree with #4; but they already have #7 in Canada, so that's not asking for missing features. I do agree that cross-traffic and side traffic warnings should be on the next major revision (probably 2020?) along with my BRILLIANT idea of moving the ICE to the BEV version, giving us an 80-100 mile EV range vehicle with unlimited HV mileage, and make it a hatchback (to compensate for the lost trunk space of merging the two and adding a gas tank to the BEV)- no other car could touch that for maximum commuting and driving range.

I know, I know, they want to get us off gasoline to a hydrogen/electric future, but 89 mile BEV range is ludicrous unless it is a second commuting car only alternative - call it what it really is - a California compliance vehicle - not a real consumer choice. When I'm dead and dust in the grave they may have hydrogen fueling at all gas stations, and it cost LESS to create the hydrogen than to refine the gasoline.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    jdonalds likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Kysayshi

Kysayshi New Member

***HELP*** I have a Clarity plug-in. As I was returning from a road trip the following message " some driver assistant systems cannot operate radar obstructed" came on the dash. I took it to the dealer the next morning and of course the message went off. The dealer calls and informs me the "H" was scartched by the bow (yes I had a red bow like the ones you hang on a door or car for the holidays). They blame the scratches for the failure and refused to look into the issue further. I have not seen these scratches yet as I am due to pick up the car tomorrow. The H infront of the car is going to have wear and tear as it is infront of the car. It does not make since for the "H" to have to be pristine in order for the senors to operate. Furthermore, if these "scratches" do infact impare the operation of said sensor wouldn't the message still be on the dash??? Any helpful input would be most appreciated. Oh and for all those who are interested I was quoted a price tag of over a grand to replace that darn H, and they said that I would have the H replaced before they would investigate the senor issue if it were to occur again

Attached Files:

9. loomis2

loomis2 Well-Known Member

That bow isn't even on the H, it is below it. Maybe try a different dealer? If ever you needed a second opinion, this is it.

10. Ken7

Ken7 Active Member

One thing I’d definitely add to the list is an improvement in the app. The updates on the charging process are erratic and almost useless. Many times the app will indicate the car is about 50% charged when in reality it’s almost fully charged.

11. Ken7

Ken7 Active Member

I wouldn’t want this dealer working on my car!

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Tiralc

Tiralc Active Member

Totally agree, crappy dealer.

But, one thing to check is did the bow have a metal backing or substantial metal clip, or was there wire holding it on. I have not looked at where the radar antenna is, but any metal in the vicinity of the radar antenna might cause system problems.

When the Volt ACC models first came out, one of the oddest failures was caused by metal license plate frames. (I think I see yours is a plastic dealer frame, just a note of possible metal items to watch out for.)

BTW, cool looking bow!

14. pdxman1

pdxman1 New Member

Do you have a charger that gives you data on the kWh used? A simple test would be to charge fully. Take a drive completely in HV mode. Come back, charge and see how much juice it takes.

15. dstrauss

Yes - I’ll run a full charge test on next trip (no way to charge now I’m away and from home). Nevertheless, it always loses 30-60% of EV range while in HV mode.

16. VancleVector

VancleVector New Member

I have a 6k propane generator, lasts about 4 hours on a 20lb tank, but since propane is for ever I plan on getting a large tank installed and feeding my dryer, generator and stove from the one tank.

I'm happy with mine. how ever it's important to remember that power from propane will cost you double the cost of power from diesel fuel as propane has a lot less "energy" when compared to diesel.

17. VancleVector

VancleVector New Member

This is what I learn from my friend for keeping the oil of my generaotr set fresh.
    1. Pour
    Per product instructions, pour in the right amount of stabilizer to treat a full tank of fuel. It's best if the tank is relatively empty, and that the gas inside hasn't already gone bad, which can happen in as few as 30 days.

2. Fill
    Top the tank off with fuel. This mixes the stabilizer up with nice fresh gas, reduces the amount of the tank that's exposed, and dilutes whatever bad gas might be still in the tank. Less air space for water to get in, less oxidation and corrosion.

3. Run
    You're not done yet. Run the engine for the amount of time recommended on the bottle—usually five to 10 minutes. This ensures that the additive has reached all parts of the engine and fuel system, not just the gas tank.

18. dstrauss

UPDATE:
    1. No reply from Honda on my support ticket.
    2. Radio problems - in addition to the random loss of SiriusXM with remote climate control, it now says "CHANNEL NOT AVAILABLE" when switching between preset stations on SiriusXM, but it actually does switch to the selected station and plays despite the warning message.

19. Ken7

Ken7 Active Member

Yup, I’ve seen that same behavior too! Weird.

20. dstrauss

We need to find the master programmer!

21. Ken7

Ken7 Active Member

I'd rather these 'master programmers' start with the range algorithm and fix that first. In a perfect world, my latest '1,000 mile HV range' would be correct. Unfortunately in the real world, it's not even close. ;)

22. Rajiv Vaidyanathan

Rajiv Vaidyanathan Active Member

I have the opposite problem - the ICE rarely turns OFF for me. I've had the Clarity for three days now and The moment I start the car, the ICE comes on and stays on. I have had only one short drive where the ICE turned off. In my 3 days of driving (about 100 miles), I'm down about 1/4 tank of gas.

I'm assuming it's because I live in Duluth, Minnesota where the temps have been in the single digits (ranging from -5F to +15F). Possibly, at such low temps, they don't even fool with running off the battery.

After a full charge (entire weekend), the highest EV range I have been able to get is 26 miles.

Anyone else have this experience?

23. Rajiv Vaidyanathan

Rajiv Vaidyanathan Active Member

This is my situation. Given that "work" is only 6 miles from home, I envisioned using the ICE rarely, if ever. Now I find that in the sub-zero cold of Duluth, MN, the ICE kicks in every single time. This morning, it was on for the entire drive to work. Didn't get *ANY* pure EV time.