Winter Tire Experience - Be Careful

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Chris Messer, Nov 22, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Thank you for sharing those!

We are fortunate to live where winter tires are not really needed, but of course a flat or worn tires are inevitable. The lift point document is very interesting given that our local tire shop of choice, Les Schwab, uses lifts with large, flat, rubbery-coated plates. These save time by not positioning specific lift points, but my guess is that using it would crush the several flat "cover things" on the bottom of the car, so we'll need to find a different solution. I'm very glad to have seen that document before needing a tire changed!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Chris Messer

Chris Messer Member

Well, I guess it's time for an update on this situation.

I was hoping to come back here and say that Costco took care of it all without any hassle, but that's not the case.

After many calls and chasing around the warehouse and customer service center, the tire center manager finally called me. He pretty much said 'i'm calling you cause I have to' and said their insurance would now be working with my insurance and i can just wait to hear from them.

Speaking the customer service dept they said while they can empathize, the issue rests with the local warehouse and would be dealt with by them. After some pushing for an update I got a reply saying that there is no ETA on next steps, their insurance 'should' call my insurance and I'll hear something at some point.

I know I will having to chase them around over and over , if not this thing will simply go off the radar. I am about 95% sure their insurance will be difficult and not want to replace trying to put maybes and possibilities of why it's not them on the hook.

I have yet to check the other 3 rims for similar damage but right now we are talking $500-$2000 CDN to get this resolved...money I sure don't want to pay from my pocket.

So again, highly recommend everyone here to use the handouts provided in the thread and warn the people in the garage to be careful.

4. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

I am sure you can drive without the resonator as long as the tire is balanced. It might be noisier but it would save your some $$$$$

5. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

I changed over myself to winter wheels a month ago and just used a regular floor jack with a rubber piece on the 4 individual wheel locations. Worked fine. Nothing unusual on this car.

6. Chris Messer

Chris Messer Member

yup, its fine to drive until this thing gets resolved, just annoying that I have to fight to get what I deserve

Phunny likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Phil C

Phil C New Member

Ayoye! Mechante trouble avec ca... pauvre toi... :(
    I'm expecting my 2019 Clarity in Jan 2019 and not sure if the dealer will put the winter tires or summer tires and try to sell me the winter, but definitively remember this resonator thing for tire change...

9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I brought my Nokian Hakkapeliitta snow tires to the dealer last December and had their resonator-knowledgeable technicians put them on as part of my purchase arrangement. It was a good decision because a 6-inch snowstorm hit the night before we took delivery. Because I don't like the looks of the expensive, resonator-equipped OEM wheels, I left the snow tires on those rims, purchased the more attractive (and much less expensive) Clarity accessory wheels, and had the dealer put the OEM tires on those rims. That way I didn't have to worry about center hub diameter, offset dimension, variations in lugnut design, etc. Another benefit: no plastic spokes! I can't detect any difference the resonators make.

[​IMG]

AlanSqB likes this.
  10. Phil C

Phil C New Member

Nice... how much those stuffs cost for you from your dealer?

11. insightman

I bought the snow tires online for about $800 and the dealer charged a little over $1,000 for the 4 wheels. Then I got extravagant and bought an electric impact driver and a new torque wrench to make it quicker to switch wheels in fall and spring.

Each wheel/tire weighs 55 lbs, so I'm not hoisting them up a ladder into the attic of the garage like I do with the 35-lb wheel/tires for my little 2006 Insight. Instead, I roll (bump) the Clarity wheels down the basement stairs. I have an electric jack that definitely has to work harder to raise the 4,059 pound Clarity than my 1,850-pound Insight. I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't change the wheels myself because if I couldn't handle that task, I probably couldn't handle stuffing the wheels into the Clarity to have someone else change them.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

14. Phunny

Phunny Member

Ultimately, Costco needs to deal with its insurance company, not you. You didn't contract with its insurance company.

15. David Towle

I find that 2 sets of snows pile nicely on top of each other in a corner of the garage right next to the overhead door.

16. insightman

My garage is so small I had to install soft vinyl bumpers where the doors hit the walls when they're opened. Backing out is an exercise in precision driving to avoid having either the right- or left-side mirrors hit the garage-door opening.

Louis Nisenbaum, MPower and jorgie393 like this.
  17. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

I did not know about the noise reducing wheels, that is actually quite interesting. Thank you!

18. Chris Messer

Chris Messer Member

Agreed, but things don't always play out the way they are supposed to. I have to chase these guys to get any traction at all. Right now they are asking for paperwork I provided the tire center 2 months ago and the guy is on vacation til Jan 15th. It's all delay tactics hoping you just say screw it and don't follow up.

19. David, how are the 17" wheel working on the Clarity. What tire size did you use? I am looking for a good deal now after the winter passes. I have this sweet deal for 235/45R17 on wheels for $120, all 4. Just wandering if they will work on the Clarity, the car will be 1/2" lower. 20180515_184745.jpg 20180515_184919.jpg 20180515_185041.jpg

20. ab13

ab13 Active Member

One thing about the way it does TPMS, you don't have to deal with the wheel sensors and pay for replacements/install.

insightman likes this.
  21. David Towle

The 17" wheels work fine, but I used 215/55 tires of the same diameter as the originals. If the ones you want to use lower the car 1/2", that means they are 1" smaller in diameter, and that is a pretty big change so your odometer and speedometer will be off about 4%. I don't think I would be willing to go that far off on a near new car. but if you do it let us know how it works.

22. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

Like @David Towle , I wonder how the smaller diameter will affect the car's functions? You'll have about 3" less circumference, about 30 revolutions per mile more, and your speedo will read only 62.5 mph when you're really going 65. Will all the car's computers be ok with that? I assume it would throw off EV miles, total range, the odometer, and anything else related to revolutions per mile of the wheels. And, for me, I would not sacrifice even a 1/2" of ground clearance on a car that is already so low.

23. insightman

Especially in winter you don't wan't to lower your Clarity. My little Insight's snow tires don't lower it, but it still has to stay home when the snow gets deeper than about 9 inches. The aerodynamic underbody leaves an interesting impression in the snow after I give up trying to go forward and back up into the safe harbor of our shoveled driveway.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    Robin and Remarksman like this.