Charging in the rain

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by ProspectiveBuyer, Nov 30, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Are there any precautions that should be taken when charging (outdoors) in the rain? I noticed yesterday that when it's really coming down, everything gets wet. Is there any risk of electrocution? And I'm assuming it's important to carefully dry everything off when disconnecting and putting away the charging cable and closing up the car's charging port. Any input is welcome and appreciated.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Claritydfw

Claritydfw Member

No issues. There is no power flowing at the head of the plug until after you plug it in and the car request the power to start flowing.

4. bigbug

bigbug Member

When charging in the rain, my Clarity always stops charging half way. It's not just 1 or 2 times, but always. Can anyone explain?

5. ClarityDoc

ClarityDoc Active Member

I charge outside, and until recently I use the supplied L1 charger, so I did about 3500 miles over four months charging this way (with no gas purchased). It was a very rainy summer in Baltimore. No issues. I didn't worry too much about drying things off except to avoid getting water in the trunk.

I never had trouble with interrupted charging. Might have to do a fluctuations in electrical supply at the source. The clarity is very vigilant for /sensitive to power fluctuations, and will interrupt charging for that.

Sent using Inside EVs mobile app

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. dnb

dnb Active Member

I've had no issues with mine charging in the rain. Do you have any kind of time limit or power limit set on the car or charger? Are you using level 1 or level 2? Does it only stop when its raining but otherwise fine?

8. lessismore

lessismore Member

99% of our clarity charging happens outdoor with L2 EVSE, rain or sunshine. we never had any issues with either charging session or the EVSE. 1% is in the garage with stock L1 EVSE
    if you have charging session disruption, it could be your EVSE's safty mechanism at work.