Perplexed by chirp tone while driving

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by RichL, Nov 17, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. RichL

RichL Member

This is the second time its happened. First time was about 3 weeks ago and lasted 2 days then it went away. Same thing occurred tonight while driving in light suburban traffic. The sound is a single chirp like the touch screen touch tone but it sounds off every 5 to 10 seconds while the car is moving. Its an electronic tone from the dash and not a squeak. It stops when the car is stopped.

There are no faults reported (dash or Hondalink) or warning lights/messages but the chirping sounds like a system is warning about something. I've checked all the usual stuff and was running in EV with a full battery, gas tank full, headlights on auto, radio and HVAC off. The car was built in May 2018 and has been driven 3900 km since July. I've not been in for service so the car has not been updated with any service bulletins. Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

If ACC is on, it will make a sound every time it detects a vehicle in front of you to follow. Also, while ACC is on, it will still show the yellow "BRAKE" and beep at you while it is slowing down itself. It will beep at you (and tug the wheel back the other way) when you cross a lane line without your blinker on, too. There are other times it beeps, but so far in mine at least they've all been good alerts to say "do please pay some attention to the road".

4. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I've also pulled the regen paddle when the cruise was set. That will give the warning chirp as well.

5. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Besides those 2 triggers, you might have it set to chirp whenever the Lane keeping Assist System (LKAS) fails to detect the lane markings.
    That of course can only happen when you turn LKAS on.

Hobbesgsr and amy2421 like this.
  6. Hobbesgsr

Hobbesgsr Active Member

This is the source if the chirps I was hearing since I always enable LKAS.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. RichL

RichL Member

Hi, it Rich with an update.

I did some testing after cleaning the front facing sensors/camera. I can confirm its not LKAS or ACC. I never use them in my commute and verified they were not ON this morning. I then went into SETTINGS and disabled the beep for LKAS/ACC but that didn't solve the beeping. I've also tried disabling CMBS, RDM, VSA and the SYSTEM/SOUND/BEEP VOLUME with no luck. I've searched the manual for every reference to a beep and verified based on what the car reports back that all systems are operating normally.

Strangely, as I ran the testing while lapping the nearly empty underground car park at work over lunch, I notice it beeped fairly consistently as the car approached each support pillar and beeped when it was about 45 degrees off to the right.

I'll try the old IT help desk trick and reboot the computers by disconnecting the 12V battery tonight.
    Failing that, its off to the dealer.

9. rodeknyt

rodeknyt Active Member

Is what you are hearing sort of like the beep tone you hear in an airplane when the flight deck wants to talk to a cabin attendant? If that describes what you are hearing, and your Clarity is a Touring model with navigation, that tone is an alert to some traffic related issue in the area you're driving. Found that out on a forum for our 2016 Pilot. Drove us crazy until we found out what it was. You don't have to be using the nav system for that tone to sound.

10. RichL

RichL Member

I have the Touring - didn't think of that and the owners manual does not make reference to it. The beep sounds like the touch screen beep on contact. I'll check and report back. Thanks.

11. Rajiv Vaidyanathan

Rajiv Vaidyanathan Active Member

There is an item on one of the settings menus to turn it off. The LKAS beeps drove me nuts until I accidentally discovered I could turn it off in one of the settings. Definitely better after turning it off. :)

12. To remove this ad click here.