Service notification on dash inconsistent with Maintenance minder

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by ace base, Nov 14, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ace base

ace base Member

My car dash shows the 'Service due soon' (under details it shows service due in 3 weeks).
    However the Honda Link App shows that the service is due now.

The code is A01 and I have 6400 miles approx at the moment.

Did you folks had similar notification, if so which one did you end up using?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. peterkronenberg

peterkronenberg New Member

I have about the same number of miles and got the same warning pop up just yesterday. And I didn't check the app until just now, and you're right. It implies that service is due now. Given that most of my 6000 or so miles did not use the ICE, do I really need an oil change? I thought I read somewhere that some people were suggesting once a year.

4. ace base

ace base Member

I am planning to do the service as indicated, as I purchased extended warranty.
    Even if that was not the case, the first service is important, as there can be lot of other contaminants in the oil due to new engine.
    The question is whether the service is due now or in few weeks, perhaps someone can chime in when they did their service, I recall seeing 6600 miles for someone on this forum.

I have not checked mine, but others are reporting high oil level. If this happens to be the case, oil change will need to be done sooner than indicated to protect the engine. This issue has plagued CRV, and other vehicles from Honda, looks like Clarity is next in the line.

5. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

The manual states to follow the Maintenance Minder or max of 1 year, whatever comes first. Of course for just about everyone that’s way too early based on HV miles but I don’t want to give Honda a reason to wiggle out of any future engine warranty issues so I will change every 12 months regardless of the HV miles.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  6. Clarity_Newbie

Clarity_Newbie Active Member

Here is a link to a previous post about oil changes...It also includes two documents which explains different service alpha/numeric designations etc.

The key is...to stay within warranty specs...you should change oil at 1 year intervals...or as indicated by the Honda maintenance minder which typically comes on between 6500 - 7500 miles recommending some type of service.

The million dollar question is...how many miles do you have on the ICE versus miles on odo? Does your engine have 500 miles using gas or 5000 miles?

I personally have 4000 miles on the odo with 900 of those miles on ICE so I am well on my way to changing oil once a year regardless of what the Honda maintenance minder says. Owners personal choice.

https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/honda-service-appointment.3538/#post-34215

Hope this info helps.

Good luck!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. leehinde

leehinde Active Member

I got warnings for about three weeks that steadily decreased to a date that would have been about a week ago, then two weeks ago when I started the car it said "Maintenance due now!" i.e., I did something in the interim to knock a week off the estimate. ;-)

9. sirspidermonkey

sirspidermonkey New Member

Is there a way to find out that ratio?

10. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

11. Clarity_Newbie

Sirspidermonkey

Hour meter is definitely a definitive way to go.

An alternative to the meter is to keep a spreadsheet that tracks miles, gas gallons, perhaps kWh it takes to charge monthly etc.

Really all one needs to do is keep good records and use reasonable figures and you can confidently figure ICE miles. It takes me about 2 mins a month to update kWh and/or gas if purchased that month.

Either works and either way is better than just winging it.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. MNSteve

MNSteve Well-Known Member

I'm missing something here. Is there a reason to not just follow the maintenance recommendations on the console?

14. Clarity_Newbie

MNSteve

I don't think you're missing anything. The question asked by Sirspidermonkey centered around how the owner of the Clarity can figure how many miles are actually put on the ICE versus what the odometer displays. Kentucky Ken installed a meter to keep track of ICE miles....others use a simple spreadsheet to track ICE vs EV miles. Either way works but for those who want to know...these are two commonly used methods.

As far as the MM recommendation on service intervals...one can follow the MM alerts or one can decide to mange the maintenance based on ICE miles or 12 months. There are several threads discussing this issue. No right or wrong...just differences in thought processes.

Hope this helps!