How reliable is the Hondalink app for you?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Mark W, Sep 28, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

You can Check the cellular signal in your garage by observing the dash display at shutdown. The first thing it shows you is TCU and an antenna symbol with the cellular signal strength and underneath is your car’s charge timer state.
    (TCU stand for Telematics Control Unit)
    I’m not having any problems connecting, even when I was on vacation for 10 days and two states away, but I have a strong signal in my garage. As long as both your phone and car can get a good cellular signal to Honda’s servers, it should connect just fine.
    Just be aware that Honda tries to conserve bandwidth and cost by not having it report in real time. For example, odometer doesn’t always update if there is no change and the battery SOC only updates every 15%.
    You can however force an update by sending data such as find my car or changing settings. Considering that we get this for free, it’s an equitable trade off IMHO.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MNSteve

MNSteve Well-Known Member

Based on what I'm seeing (attached file) the signal couldn't be much better. And of course when I tested turning on climate just now, it worked perfectly. Thank you for fixing my problem.

As you can see, my Timer says "Off". what is my "car's charge time state" and how do I change it from "off"? (Sorry to hijack the thread.)

Attached Files:

4. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

No prob. Was supposed to say “timer state”. The off just tells you you have not set up any charging schedule on the car. Useful to verify so you don’t have any problems public charging or like me that you’re free to set up a charging schedule on your home EVSE which is easier to me. You can change this in settings to take advantage of lower rates if offered by your utility.

Looks like you have 3 of 5 bars signal strength which one would expect would be enough. I’ve got 4 of 5. If you have continued problems connecting, you might try resetting the head unit (hold down audio button) or reinstalling the phone app. Also, make sure you have the correct app for the Clarity, but if you are connecting sometimes you probably have the right one. As a last resort you could try disconnecting the negative battery terminal, but then you will lose settings and range estimates will start from scratch. Let us know your progress.

5. MNSteve

MNSteve Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. I'm still learning. Too early to come to definite conclusions. The app seems to have some good features but the inconsistent ability to connect is frustrating.

6. Bina12834

Bina12834 Member

The app works perfect for me. I will caveat that by saying I have only had my car for a week and haven't tried preconditioning yet since i only plug in with a level 1 charger at home. So really the only thing i use it for is to monitor the charge level.

I plug my car into the free level 2 charger in my parking garage, and i want to be a good charging station patron and move my car when its done charging, so i constantly monitor the app to see when it is done charging. I was disappointed that i wasn't getting the "Charge Complete" notifications that everyone else was mentioning on here. I searched through the entire app and couldn't find anything. It only just clicked with me before writing this post that when i first downloaded the app i chose to "Not Send Notifications", as i do with every app i download (i hate getting a million notifications). Went in and switched that on for the HondaLink app, so i'm excited to see that "Charge Complete" notification in 30 mins when it should be done.

Remarksman likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. LAF

LAF Active Member

you can precondition car with level 1 charger as long as charging is done( i.e. like a cold morning) and the cord is still attached. It will precondition and then start charging to keep full.

9. Bina12834

Bina12834 Member

This is certainly useful info! Thanks!!

10. E10

E10 New Member

I have only been able to get this to work once. And that was with the car’s key fob. Is there a special way to manually turn “on” the car, while connected to a level 1 evse, and charging is complete from overnight but still plugged in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

You haven't. The fob only turns on charging, not climate.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

From page 199 of the Owners Manual:

upload_2018-11-13_1-55-50.png

Attached Files:

14. iluvscuba

iluvscuba Active Member

Charging does not need to be done (100%). You can PC the car even when you are not 100%, you just need to turn off charging first then you can turn on PC. IF the charge cord is still plugged in, charging will start after PC is ON. Charging stop automatically if PC is turn off (manually or after 30 minutes)

15. LAF

LAF Active Member

Use the app to turn it on

16. RogerB

RogerB Active Member

I used it for scheduled PC for the first time this morning and it worked like a charm. Fantastic feature.

17. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

I totally forgot that. I even looked at my fob before posting and blindly ignored that fan button... :(

18. RogerB

RogerB Active Member

I'm pretty sure you need to lock from the fob before remote "start" will work, but perhaps I'm just carrying that over from the previous two SUVs we owned.

19. insightman

Yes, that's what the manual says on page 199.

20. MrPryorsays

MrPryorsays New Member

New to the forum so i dont know if this has already been covered but My other family vehicle is the 2018 suburban and the chevy app is the only reason i know the honda app is terrible.. i can start the truck in minutes... send directions to navigation instantly and lock and unlock the doors...

with the honda app it has taken 15-20 minutes to get directions sent to vehicle... awful

21. insightman

Compare the price.

amy2421 likes this.
  22. DVoran

DVoran Member

Have used this daily to record and monitor KWh usage and also pre-heat the car daily with the temperatures well below freezing. Nice to get into a warm car. The warmup does draw from the EVSE units though. IMG_0132.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

23. Parja

Parja New Member

Yep, I can confirm that. Heating is VERY slow, though. Mine took about 20 minutes to go from 32 degrees to 42 inside temp this morning.