Suggestions on Dash Camera?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by dnb, Nov 6, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. dnb

dnb Active Member

I used an A119 with my old car and still have it, but noticed there are some newer options now and I also don't have a way to mount the old one so would need to get some tape or something for it, but I was wondering what you guys are using, and also how you've wired it. Are you using the cig lighter output or did you directly hardwire it so it can turn on if needed (parking mode)?

Also looking at some of the dual ones they have now since having a rear facing camera would be nice as well.

Daniel M W likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

I wired my A119 to the fuse box.

What do you need to mount your A119. I have some parts left over that may be what you need.

4. Heino

Heino Active Member

Owl cam. Easy one wire install that pulls power directly from the OBDII port using an adapter.

Less than 15 minutes to install.

DVoran and Daniel M W like this.
  5. ClarityDoc

ClarityDoc Active Member

Looks like a great product but $350 is a lot of dough. Looking forward to hearing other suggestions, but Owl Cam seems very well thought out.

6. Electra

Electra Active Member

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I love my REXING cam, I have them in all three of my vehicles, including my Clarity. For the clarity I purchased the $9 hardwire harness that simply plugs into one of the open fuse slots under the dash, total install time was around 25 minutes including concealing the cable completely... also it’s $99 :D

Rexing V1 Car Dash Cam 2.4" LCD FHD 1080p 170 Degree Wide Angle Dashboard Camera Recorder with Sony Exmor Video Sensor, G-Sensor, WDR, Loop Recording https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X528FNE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_xyD4BbW95ATNW

KentuckyKen likes this.
  9. jdonalds

Sorry for stirring things up. I thought I had an extra GPS module for the A119, and a couple of sticky tape mounts. I looked but I was wrong.

If you use the A119 my only suggestion is to buy the black sticky mount rather than grey. The grey shows up and I'd rather hide the camera as much as possible.

There is also an A119S which has a Sony sensor that is just a bit better. I've been pleased with the two A119 units we have. They just record all of the time the car is powered up. The only time we plan to take them down and look at the video is when there is a reason like an accident.

10. dnb

dnb Active Member

I'd bought the GPS one so yeah it has the extra mount, I might just get an extra sticky pad if these are still "good" units, figured with BF coming up there will be some good deals on the newer models. Think my kiddos got a hold of the box for it, I thought I had some extra stuff in it but it was empty when I found it :D

How did you hard wire it? Have any pictures or install instructions I could follow? What extra HW did you need to do it?

11. jdonalds

Sorry I didn't document mounting the GPS but others have. Search here on insideev.

The installation was pretty easy. From memory this is the rough method
    - Position and fix the dashcam mount to the windshield.
    - Run the power cord inside the black cover for the mirror wire. It's a tight fit but it works.
    - There may be a step here to remove the cover in the ceiling where the garage opener buttons are. The car isn't here so I can't check.
    - Push the cable along the leading edge of the headliner. It just stays there without any clamps.
    - Pull the rubber off the door jam and run the wire down inside of it.
    - Remove the left kick plate by the driver's feet.
    - Find a screw or bolt for the ground wire.
    - Attach a fuse adapter to the 12V GPS power wire https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014K93ROM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 The fuse adapter allows you to plug into an existing fuse socket, install the fuse that was already there, and add a second fuse for the camera.
    - I've connected the power wire to the fuse box using the low-left corner fuse marked 7.5A which is an accessory fuse.

This way the wires are hidden.

I've installed dashcams in three cars so I may have this wrong. A variation is to remove the cover over the A pillar and run the wires there instead of under the door jamb rubber gasket.

lorem101 and dnb like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. dnb

dnb Active Member

Ok thanks, I just ordered some new 3m "tape" and will hook it up for now just through the 12v since I don't think the A119 has a real parking mode from what I remember when I bought it. So don't really need it directly hooked up.

Are there any details on where you can and can't push the cord in around the airbags? Whats the potential for setting them off if I'm messing with the trim?

For now I'll probably put the wire along the passenger side since thats where the 12v outlet is closer to and I rarely use it except for the kids stuff :D

14. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Teamchang likes this.
  15. I have the Owl dashcam. So easy to install (magnetic ODBII power only, no CAM bus), no fuse hacks, 4G built in free for 1 year, inside (and side windows) and outside, great easy to use app for IOS or Android. I have the VAVA dashcam with the sony night imager in the back. Bot will record in park mode without running down the battery.

16. Hobbesgsr

Hobbesgsr Active Member

I believe you’ll need a low profile mini add-a-circuit fuse versus the mini fuse linked. Like the one below.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LFXA5XM

17. dnb

dnb Active Member

Nice thanks!

How important is that tool? I don't have one, I just used my fingers and maybe a CC or something to help push it last time on my old car

Hows the quality on that camera? Any issues with night recording?

18. Heino

Heino Active Member

Yes, the camera is not cheap - but it is more than a dashcam. It is also a security camera which uploads video to the cloud. I wanted to protect my investment, even while parked.

19. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Don’t really need the tool once you get the rubber gasket pealed back in one place, but it does make it go easier. A dull rounded butter knife would do as well. I had it left over from an iPhone repair kit.
    Camera quality is excellent but recording both front and back at the same time reduces it from 4K to 1040p. I found that’s ok since I only need to read the license plates of cars close enough to have “interacted” with mine. I really like being able to record the interior (and interactions at the side window and through the rear window if rear ended) without having to run any wires back to a rear camera. Night recoding is on par with good quality cams. It adjust to light levels very well. I’m happy with it.

20. vicw

vicw Active Member

The Owl looks really intriguing. The high price is a concern, but it seems to be well-designed, easy to install, and its security functions are attractive.

I'm curious where you installed yours on the Clarity. Did you offset the location away from the center of the dash to avoid interfering with the sensor and speaker that sit right in the middle of the dash? Also wondering if you are using the Android or Apple mobile app. The ratings on Android look pretty poor, and several mention that the Apple version is superior.

21. Heino

Heino Active Member

I installed my Owl camera maybe half an inch to the left of the light sensor as to not to interfere with it. But the camera does come with several brackets, where it may not even be a problem to install it directly dead center, as the camera can be placed higher up.

I just wanted to play it safe...

I personally use an iPhone and have a great experience with the app. The company is very committed to providing improvements, so any software issues will surely get resolved. They seem to stand behind their product.

As for price, I have two referral codes for $50 off of the current price if purchased before November 18. If anyone is interested, send me a message, I’d be more than happy to provide a discount code.

81AA8DB3-6157-486A-AE16-8ECC9A5C522D.jpeg 248462BB-7C17-42BF-8E06-CACCC0745E6E.jpeg

22. Heino

Heino Active Member

I decided to post my coupon codes as someone else posted theirs as well. Feel free to give them a try.. $50 off is a really good deal for this dashcam.
    —-

This is just a friendly reminder that your referral codes expire on November 19th.

Here are your unused $50 off coupon codes:

STDS

MFMN

The codes can be redeemed in our website checkout - https://owlcam.com/

Share with your friends and family. You can even use one too! Don't worry we won't tell

23. Electra

Electra Active Member

Please do not share STDs with your friends and family.

lordsutch and Heino like this.