Climate turn ON using Honda Link

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Atul Thakkar, Oct 26, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Eric1978a

Eric1978a New Member

When the car is preconditioning while plugged in, is the batter losing any charge? Or is the 120V outlet able to "keep up" with the energy that is being used for the preconditioning?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Richard_arch74

Richard_arch74 Active Member

Eric, in my case when the climate control is remotely turned on (using HL), with the charger in and not charging, the charger turns on. Therefore the battery is not losing any charge while the remote climate control is on and working.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Inside EVs mobile app

Phunny and Eric1978a like this.
  4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

From other posters' reports, I thought only a Level 2 EVSE could keep up with the power demands of preconditioning.

5. Richard_arch74

I noted the charge on the HL and in the car before I turned the climate control on. After the 30 minutes of climate control being on and the car charging at the same time the amount of charge shown on the HL showed the same amount of charge as when I started. Thus my assumption that the battery on L1 was not being depleted by the climate control working. Now that I think of it, after the test , I did not verify that the amount of charge as shown in the car was the same as what was shown on the HL. I suppose I can test it again.

Sent from my Chromebook 15 CB515-1HT/1H using Inside EVs mobile app

insightman and Eric1978a like this.
  6. iluvscuba

iluvscuba Active Member

I was charging at the dealer (240V) a few days ago and turn on the pre-condition using the HondaLink app while I was sitting inside (outside temp was about 8C/48F), the car heat up to about 24C/76F after a while and maintain this temp throughout the charging period (about 1 hour). My normal temp set while driving is about 18C/64F. I actually find it a little warm for me while I was sitting in the car

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. amy2421

amy2421 Active Member

I found that if my car is plugged in and pre-conditioning, with a charging schedule programmed it will not charge to overcome the energy depletion unless I override the schedule.

9. Richard_arch74

Proof is in the pudding:
    Tested the remote climate control again (from the HL app) to see if the charging (L1) would deplete the battery. Battery EV charge prior to test was 29. After climate control was turned off (26 minutes) EV charge was 30. First screen shot is pre C.C, second screen shot is post C.C, third photo is from car. Screenshot_20181029-170031_HondaLink.jpeg Screenshot_20181029-172644_HondaLink.jpeg 20181029_172731.jpeg

dnb, Pegsie, Eric1978a and 1 other person like this.
  10. Eric1978a

Eric1978a New Member

Thank you!

11. Richard_arch74

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Claritydfw

Claritydfw Member

How did you get your Honda Link to start the precondition while charging at 120? Every time I try it it says it can’t on level 1.

14. LAF

LAF Active Member

make sure charging is done but still hooked up

15. Claritydfw

Claritydfw Member

I know That I can start it when it’s 100% but it looks like they only have a charge of 73% and got it to come on.

16. iluvscuba

iluvscuba Active Member

No you just have to stop the charging manually first, then you can start the preconditioning if there is sufficient charge in the car

17. Richard_arch74

Claritydfw, I plug the car in and it starts to charge (because the charge is less than 100%). I then push "stop charging" on the app. I then turn on the climate control and about 20 seconds later the app says that climate control is on. The app shows that the car is now charging again . If you want to verify that the app is telling you the truth make sure you get in the car NOT using the drivers door.

18. amy2421

amy2421 Active Member

I have tried this twice now and it works for me too. Thanks!!!!! :)

19. dnb

dnb Active Member

Is there any way to get the pre conditioning to turn on the front / rear window defrosts? I park outside and while the cabin is comfy, I can't see out of the windows (esp rear, front clears up quickly after I get in).. since I start my drive by reversing out of my drive way it is annoying that it doesn't turn on the rear window defrost while pre conditioning the car.

20. iluvscuba

iluvscuba Active Member

I did a test this morning on battery use for pre-conditioning, different from what Richard_Arch did as I unplug the charger after it is charged to 100%.

As you can see from 1st pic, battery is 99%, 62km (38.75mi) and in-car temp is 11C/52F when I first turn on pre-conditioning using key-fob at 6:45am. The car is parked in the garage and the temp is 10C/50F.
    1.jpg

At 6:50am, the range is 61km/38.125mi, 97% SOC, in-car temp is 19C/66F

2.jpg

At 6:55am, 60km/37.5mi, 96% SOC, 21C/70F.

3.jpg

I opened the door at 7:15am which is 30min after pre-condition (PC) starts. At that point, PC has not been turn off automatically, the HL app did not update so I don't know what the SOC was at that point but I took a pic of the dash and you can see the range is down to 57km/35.6mi.

4.jpg

So for me, the car's heater is pretty efficient as it raise the in-car temp by 10C/20F (from 11C/52F to 21C/72F) in 10 minutes and only lost 2km/1.25mi of range and 3% SOC. The next 20 minutes maintain the in-car temp and uses about 3km/1.875mi of range.

I will probably retest this when the outside temp is below freezing and see how much more range lost to raise the temp of the car up by 0-25C/32-77F

Edit:

Just 1 more comment, seems like the in-car temp is much higher when the car is plug into a 240V charger while pre-conditioning. I have been doing a mid-day charge at my dealer for the last couple of days and while the outside temp is about 5C/42F, the inside is at a toasty 25C/77F while the car is charging compare to what I did this morning with full battery but not plug-in at 21C/70F

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    insightman and Richard_arch74 like this.
  21. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    I'd like to know this too. If the car is turned of with front and rear defrosters on, does the preconditioning put them on? Also, do the seat heaters come on during precondtioning?

22. Richard_arch74

Mark, I ran a test this morning to see if I could get the driver's side seat heater to come on with the remote pre-conditioning (pc). The car was at 100% charge this morning. I turned the car on with the charge cable in the port of the car long enough to turn on the seat heater and then turned off the car. I then turned on the pc (see screen shot 1). At 15 minutes of the pc being on I got into the car using the rear drivers side door to see if the light was on to the seat heater. The light was not on and the seat was not warm. I tried to turn on the seat heater, from the back seats, and the seat heater would not turn on. So . . . . no luck on the seat heater coming on while pre-conditioning.
    I doubt we can change the way the car pc works. Now back to work. Screenshot_20181102-090014_HondaLink.jpeg Screenshot_20181102-091504_HondaLink.jpeg Screenshot_20181102-091731_HondaLink.jpeg

23. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    Richard,

Thanks for checking that. That's too bad. I think the seat heaters are an important part of preconditioning. Getting the cabin temperature up is nice, but defrosting the windows and heating the seats are just as important parts of winter preconditioning.