EV Range degradation

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Chris Messer, Oct 11, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Kathy

Kathy New Member

I'm also having problems with reduced EV range in my 3-month-old Clarity, but in my case the range has dropped from 45 miles to 38-40 miles. The weather has been pretty mild here in the Bay Area but I do have an all-highway commute, at or above the speed limit. ;-) Nonetheless, I am concerned that my EV range is so low.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bfd

bfd Active Member

It will be brutal for those who are in the cold. That's the downside of electric vehicles. At least any range anxiety in the Clarity will be confined to the range one wishes they were still seeing and not the kind that one feels when they're not going to make it to the next charger…

4. AaD

AaD Member

I think the uptick in complaints/questions about range going down in these still moderate (say 32-50 F) temps is mostly due to people using heat the way they are accustomed to in an ICE vehicle, where that heat is "free". By preconditioning the car on L2, which is quick, and then driving with climate completely off, we are still getting close to 60 miles in fall temps here in MA. Obviously that will change when it really gets cold - and I might have to wear a hat. I do wish EV manufacturers were more up front about the winter performance issue. We know a Tesla owner in maine who was bitterly disappointed when their first winter hit, and this flood of reports here and elsewhere indicates that folks aren't being told to expect this.

5. akcoffee

akcoffee New Member

Depessingly, the cold brings increased aerodynamic drag and rolling resistance, decreased battery storage capacity and the need for heat.

No matter how it's propelled every vehical on the road in a cold clime faces a steep drop in efficiency...you can't beat physics.

There is joy in the spring as your EV range starts increasing.

A bit off topic and should really be its own thread: grill blocking strategies to improve ICE mpg as it runs more frequently in the winter. Anyone doing this yet?

6. Alec

Alec New Member

Anybody knows if there is a way to force/reset learned estimate? My dealer has no an idea. I am in 37-38 miles range now, temperature is around 55-60

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Richard_arch74

Richard_arch74 Active Member

Only way, IMO, to reset the learned EV range estimate is to drive more conservatively for a few trips. By that I mean don't let your "energyodometer" go past 11:00 o'clock, let up on the accelerator and coast to stops and don't go over 45 mph. Regen paddles, I am convinced, don't improve your range anymore than braking.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Inside EVs mobile app

9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

How far does a charge actually take you? Is it way more than the estimated 37-38 miles?

What a treat for PHEV drivers: Unlike BEV drivers we can test our actual EV range without wondering how we'll get home when the charge runs out!

10. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

In the heat of summer we were seeing 48-52 EV Range estimates. The range didn't drop off as the heat increased as I expected.

As fall came and the ambient temps dropped from 100 to 70 for a high for the day we've seen the EV range estimate drop into the low 40's. Lately though I'm regularly getting 10% better range than the estimate. I think the estimate algorithm is a bit too aggressive.

11. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Because there are others who see less EV range than their Clarity estimates, I would venture that Honda's programmers got it right and thanks to your EV driving skills you're on the other side of the Bell curve from those drivers.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. AnthonyW

AnthonyW Well-Known Member

Disconnect your negative wire on your 12 volt battery for 2 minutes and it will start over with no past data.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

14. LAF

LAF Active Member

It could be the car now knows you do lots of highway driving where EV is less efficient.

15. weave

weave Active Member

If all of your EV miles are at 70+ MPH it's going to drag down your range. All EVs do best at slower speeds.

16. DVoran

DVoran Member

Can vouch for that. Wind resistance increases dramatically the faster you go and can really suck the power out of the car. Add to that the increased cooling demands of all of those electrons flowing from the battery to power the wheels. Don’t know the exact logarithmic formula but the curve is definitely not linear.

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

17. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

Have had my car for not quite two weeks. The range is falling steadily since I have been driving very short trips around town with a lot of stop/starting and no open road.

Regen on the hill down from my house seems to work since by the time I get to the bottom, I am granted one more mile of range. I haven't run the battery down yet so I am not sure how accurate the estimates are. It is currently at 35 with a full battery.

On Friday, I will be taking my first longer trip of about 90 miles round trip, mainly interstate through the mountains. We will see what happens. There is no place to charge at the other end so I plan to do the first half of the trip on HV and then see what is left on EV and play it by ear.