Has anyone added a light to the storage area under gear selector?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Mark W, Oct 4, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

Really.....there’s a light there too? Must be only a few micro-lumens :cool:

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. vicw

vicw Active Member

Yipes! I was afraid the price would be high based on the installation instructions. I think having the lamps linked to the ambient lighting system, with presumably very low intensity, based on the existing center light, wouldn't really work for me anyway.

I don't need the dim lighting while I'm driving at night - I just want to be able to see the lower interior areas when I open a door, trying to find the umbrella (black) or my phone (black), etc. in that really dark space. There has to be a way to wire a few small LEDs discreetly, connecting to the courtesy lighting, rather than ambient.

4. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    I bought a cheap black let light at Walmart for $4, but it's too bulky for the space. It's 4" round and an inch thick :(

5. JCEV

JCEV Active Member

The LED is fairly bright it lights up everything easily. Not sure why people can't see it ?

6. vicw

vicw Active Member

The intensity of that little bulb adjusts with the brightness setting on the dashboard, and, at least on my Clarity, I can see it only when the intensity is set high. Even then, it doesn't cast enough light downward to be any help seeing anything directly below. Maybe it varies from one vehicle to another.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. JCEV

JCEV Active Member

That could be it, mine is one notch down from brightest dash setting as full makes the LCD screen go blazing. Here is a sample.

Attached Files:

9. vicw

vicw Active Member

Yes, I agree. I don't usually have my dash set to full brightness, and the brightness adjustment can only be made when the car is ON. Even fully ramped up on my car, it isn't bright enough to be very useful for me. What I hope to find is lighting tied to the courtesy lighting system in the car, rather than ambient, that will effectively brighten the footwell areas, along with that center shelf.

10. chris5168

chris5168 Member

Heino, Mark W and JCEV like this.
  11. JCEV

JCEV Active Member

Such a neat idea using the usb!

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    Thanks SO MUCH! I didn't even know these existed! I am going to try and find a black one of these with an on/off switch. You said in your reply that you HAD one of these. What happened to it?

14. Heino

Heino Active Member

I had the same idea... do the USB ports power down when the car is off?

15. chris5168

chris5168 Member

Had prior to Clarity, instead of purchased for Clarity.

The USB does power off.

There are also tiny USB led lights on Amazon too: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CK87YJ5/

16. vicw

vicw Active Member

I'm wondering how difficult it would be to find a higher intensity LED bulb that could directly replace the existing one, and ideally, even add one on each side angled down toward the foot wells.

17. JCEV

JCEV Active Member

Has anyone removed the usb covers, they are more annoying than anything. I don't want to break it but does it come out?

chris5168 likes this.
  18. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    I have the same question!

19. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    Thanks Chris5168 for sending me down the right path! My light came in, and it's perfect! It's the one I linked above. Just run your hand over the top of it to turn on and off. Always plugged in and ready to go. I'll post a picture of the setup.

20. JCEV

JCEV Active Member

Two girls love the pink lol.

used the 12v outlet and bought slim usb adaptors for it.

Attached Files:

21. dnb

dnb Active Member

Which one did you end up buying? Any cons to it you've seen? How long does power stay on after powering off?