60-kWh Nissan LEAF, what to expect price and performance-wise

Discussion in 'LEAF' started by Domenick, Oct 17, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. 60-kWh Nissan LEAF Price Possibly Revealed In Dealer Documents

According to preliminary pricing sheets that go to dealers, the new 60-kWh LEAF will have a base MSRP of about $35,400.

That should give you a range of 225 miles, a faster charge rate -- maybe 100 kW, which would decrease charge times -- and a lot more confidence in the battery with regards to degradation.

Despite the higher price, I think this represents a huge step forward in value.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Kenneth Bokor

Kenneth Bokor Active Member

Thanks Domenick for this post. Read it on the site too. I would have thought the base might be a tad bit higher, but good nonetheless.

Agreed, a great step in value if it comes as we think it will. With active TMS.

Domenick likes this.
  4. Paul K

Paul K Active Member

This is the car I would have loved to buy in 2020. With the change in gov't in Ontario I had to jump for a 2018 to grab the last of the subsidies. Non Tesla EVs are depreciating like TVs and computers. Two years later you're heading in market obsolescence as the newer models do so much more and cost the same or less. Depreciation aside, two things I value most are reliability and durability. Looks like I'll be keeping my 2018 for some time so we'll get to see how it scores in those departments.

5. Kenneth Bokor

Kenneth Bokor Active Member

Hi Paul, understand as well. I personally don't care about depreciation as I plan on keeping my 2018 for 7-8 years. I may get another BEV in a couple of years and pass the 2018 to my wife or daughter. I always keep my cars for 8-10 years at least, so I plan on running the 2018 into the ground.

You are correct though, since BEVs are more technology-based then car-based to a point, the changes for BEVs are becoming more rapid like the computer revolution. I stating that, however you can't wait for the next-best-thing as in this marketplace, you will always be waiting. Need to look at what's available for one's needs, fit and budgets at the time ready to purchase.

I too was going to wait (originally for the SR Model 3) but with the Ontario incentives going away, I acted to get my $14K off. I'm very glad I did and my current 2018 Leaf fits my needs nicely. Sure I would love to have more range and Active BMS, but I got what I could get within budget at the time I had.

6. I think the fast depreciation should start to taper off now, at least for vehicles with over 200 miles of range. Of course, one has to factor in the effect of incentives on depreciation.

For instance, a hypothetical EV buyer gets $10,000 off his $40,000 car. The market may treat it as an originally-$30,000 car, then start depreciation from there.

Kenneth Bokor likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

I think the number of vehicles leased and returned for sale in the used car market has a lot to do with the higher then normal depreciation too.

Domenick likes this.