HV Range Fix is out and ready for dealer install

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by KentuckyKen, Jun 20, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Jarome

Jarome New Member

What is the body plug fix? And what is an A01 service?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. JimW

JimW Active Member

My car had its first trip to dealer today at 8100 miles. A01 service performed ($66.31 including shop supplies and tax), HV range update installed, body plugs installed. It was helpful to have printed out the two service bulletins. The service writer stated that he has to enter a customer complaint before they can apply any updates.

Range now seems reasonable - I have about 3 gallons and the HV range is showing 136.

I turned off the radio and cruised on smooth interstate. I think it is a little quieter, but completely subjective. Since Honda said the plugs were important, I feel better with them installed.

As he went through the inspection checklist, he said "all the belts look good". Does the Clarity have any belts?

4. AaD

AaD Member

Apologies if this is upthread, but do you have a link for printing out these updates from Honda? Taking ours in for its first service soon and would like to be prepared. (Would be good to add to the FAQ as well).

5. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, Honda does not make the SBs available without a paid subscription to Honda Tech.
    However, you can give your Service Tech the SB # and he can pull it up on his computer with no problem and show it to you.
    Here is one shared on the forum, but I can’t remeber who posted it. Might have been @AnthonyW who has shared a lot.
    18-069 is the HV fix
    18-079 is the multiple warnings fix

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  6. KentuckyKen

There were supposed to be 4 oblong oval rubber plugs installed at the Pre Delivery Inspection. About half the dealer’s don’t do this. The PDI says they are an important part for noise reduction but most of us don’t hear a dramatic difference.
    The plugs and several other important aspects of the PDI are discussed in this thread:

https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/lots-of-brand-new-info-from-pre-delivery-inspection-doc-esp-on-battery-replacement.2742/

The PDI doc below shows where you can look to see if the plugs were installed. It also tells you what else should have been done like battery testing and deflating the tire pressure from 50 psi as shipped to 36 psi.

Here are the Maintenance Codes from p 477 of the manual. A is oil change, 0 is just inspection, and 1 is tire rotation. The Maintenance Minder may move up certian items to make for fewer visits.

CODE. Maintenance Main Items
    A
    ●Replace engine oil*1 and oil filter
    ●Inspect front and rear brakes
    ●Check expiration date for Temporary Tire Repair Kit
    ●Inspect these items:
    •Tie rod ends, steering gearbox, and boots
    •Suspension components
    •Driveshaft boots
    •Brake hoses and lines (including ABS/VSA)
    •All fluid levels and condition of fluids
    •Exhaust system#
    •Fuel lines and connections#
    •Stay RR, RR Subframe
    •Under body battery cover

1●Rotate tires
    2●Replace dust and pollen filter*2
    3●Replace transmission fluid*3
    4●Replace spark plugs●Inspect valve clearance
    5●Replace engine coolant
    7●Replace brake fluid*4
    8●Replace air cleaner element*5
    (There is no •6 because that is for a rear differential that we don’t have)

*1:If a Maintenance Minder message does not appear more than 12 months after the display is reset, change the engine oil every year.
    #:See information on maintenance and emissions warranty.
    *2:If you drive primarily in urban areas that have high concentrations of soot in the air from industry and from diesel-powered vehicles, replace the dust and pollen filter every 15,000 miles (24,000 km).
    *3: Driving in mountainous areas at very low vehicle speeds results in higher transmission temperatures. This requires transmission fluid changes more frequently than recommended by the Maintenance Minder. If you regularly drive your vehicle under these conditions, have the transmission fluid changed every 47,500 miles (75,000 km) or 3 years.
    *4:If a Maintenance Minder message does not appear more than 36 months after the display for item 7 is reset, change the brake fluid every 3 years.
    *5:If you drive in dusty conditions, replace the air cleaner element every 15,000 miles (24,000 km).
    (There is also an Emissions sticker under the hood noting to change coolant in 10 years and then every 5 yrs if MM does not indicate before then.)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

No, there are no belts under the hood of the Clarity Plug-In Hybrid. The accessories that are belt-driven in a lesser car are electrically driven in the Clarity.

David A likes this.
  9. Jarome

Jarome New Member

I got the range fix and the body plugs installed today by the other Honda Dealer (Rusty Wallace). The range dropped to 350 miles from 550, but is still to high. The gas tank is full.

10. KentuckyKen

As you do some HV driving and add gas to the tank it will adjust and better reflect your actual HV range. Most report that with a full tank it starts at 357 or mid 350s.
    After the update mine went from 357 to 321 wirhba fullntank after a 500 mile HV Trip that I got 48 mpg. (321/7=46mpg) so the uodate is working nicely.

11. Jarome

Jarome New Member

Consumer Reports says the range is just over 200 miles. 350 is very respectable. CU really panned the Clarity for unfair reasons.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. leehinde

leehinde Active Member

Makes no sense. 7 gallon tank, 40 mpg (at the most conservative) = 280

14. Jarome

Jarome New Member

Silly question: Is the tank 7 gallons when the gas pump cuts off or is it 7 gallons after you top it off? If the former, what is the topped-off capacity? I usually top it off so my Kroger discounts go further.

15. weave

weave Active Member

Toping off is not good. You should just stop when it cuts off on its own. Over filling could be especially bad since the gas tank is pressurized.

16. SkipperT

SkipperT Member

It holds MAX 7 gallons of fuel.

Typical fill up is less than that, I usually see 6.3-6.5 gallons going in from the pump once the car lets me know I need fuel.

As others have mentioned, it’s really bad to keep filling once it clicks off.

-Skio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Tom H

Tom H New Member

I took mine in for the HV fix and it did not change. I went back the next day to complain based on the reports that the change happens right away. They determined that they did not wait for the update to completely finish the first time. This time it did change to the expected 357 for full tanks. The EV range changed to 47 from 54 for a full charge so it looks like both were reset to standard default values. We will see how this adjusts as time goes on.

I would love to see an update that would let you reconfigure the drivers display to a speedometer dial. The current options of just different sets of inlays is not that useful. I uses the cruise control to set my speed to match the speed limit so I mostly ignore the digital speed however it would be nice if the minimum speed could be 20 mph (a common speed limit here in MA)

18. rog0003

rog0003 New Member

Anyone in Arizona have luck getting the update yet? I have provided Autonation Honda Chandler with the SB # and all the information they should need and they are still playing dumb. The tried to claim the install happened and was a success after the HV range went down to 999.

19. Vinoh

Vinoh Member

Just came from the dealer after getting the range fix. There was no change in range when I picked up the car and the service rep tried to feed me a line about it taking a couple of days to adjust itself.

Of course, from this great forum, I knew better and insisted they look more closely. They showed me that they applied the update but I noticed that they updated the control unit software, not the meter software. Finally, after talking with the manager and service tech, they updated the meter software and all is well.

Very bad first experience with Honda service, including an overpriced oil change using unnecessary synthetic oil. Time to change to a different dealer for service.

20. Elm

Elm New Member

Got range fix today. Local Honda hadn't heard of it but checked and got-r-done. Full tank and 357 HV miles to empty.

KentuckyKen likes this.
  21. RickSE

RickSE Active Member

Is there any way to tell if the software patches were actually installed by the dealer? When I picked up my new clarity this week I gave the SB numbers to the dealer to install them. They told me that the car was all set based in the VIN. Looking through the forum I saw that looking at the VIN didn’t always work. Just curious as I still have to fill out the Honda survey and I want to know if they did what I asked before I fill it out. They didn’t charge up the battery for me so I couldn’t see how the EV worked on my way home. If they didn’t charge the battery it may very well be that they didn’t really know how to check the SB. On the flip side, the sound deadening plugs were installed!

22. KentuckyKen

Only two ways to tell that I know of:
    1. Dealer hooks up car to their I-HDS computer and tells you the truth.
    or
    2. As you run in HV and fill up the tank with gas, and the more HV miles vs EV miles of recent driving, the more and more your HV range estimate will increase past believable numbers.

BTW, no one has posted that their Clarity had the update at delivery.
    And both Service Bulletins state on the upper right that they are for all VINs. Several posts have reported their dealer erroneously told them they don’t need it, or it’s not for their VIN, or said they installed it and didn’t. Also reported that a VIN search with your VIN may not pull it up. You have to give the service advisor the SB # 18-069 and have it looked up by SB # not by your VIN. It seems many dealer’s are clueless on this.
    My dealer couldn’t find the SB until I gave them the # and then it popped up in their computer and they installed it without arguement. They said I didn’t need the SB 18-079 for the mutiple warnings fix and since I haven’t had this error, I let it slide on the basis of if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    Texas22Step, Jason N and leehinde like this.
  23. RickSE

RickSE Active Member

Thanks for that complete reply. Sounds like I will need to visit my local Honda dealer to find out!