EV App Idea

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by StickWare, Sep 2, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. StickWare

StickWare Active Member

Hi everyone. I've owned my Clarity for about 6+ weeks now, and it's incredible! One thing I was surprised at (because I'm a data nerd), is the Clarity does not track how many miles are EV and how many ICE (as you guys call it for some reason). I really want to know this information.

I drive Uber/Lyft and I have plaid with different Mileage apps, so I have been using Hurdlr (because it's the only one that I found that lets you use it for free with unlimited trips).

Problem with this app is it doesn't automatically start a trip. Like it should detect that. However I can leave it on and it track's all my walking around as miles, but that's negligible.

So When I am driving in EV (as I am usually now, because I just got 240V chargers installed at the house), I log those miles as "Personal". When I run out of EV, I quickly stop trip and start new trip, then log those miles as "Business".

Been doing this for a week now, and it's not too bad, but I am getting into App development, and I want to make an app that does the following:

- Auto start trips (not when you are walking).
    - Have Buttons on the screen for "EV" "HV" and maybe even "SPORT" so you can just tap which one you are using, and it logs the miles accordingly .
    - Reports on breakdown of each. Probably make this on a "per tank of gas" basis also, and all time.

Do other PHEV have this issue of not keeping track of this?? Like the Volt?? Prius Prime?

What other features should be in this app??? let me know please.. Would you buy it? ;)

Pegsie likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

ICE stands for Internal Combustion Engine

4. David A

David A Guest

I figure ICE miles on gallons of gas used every fill up multiplied by 45 mpg to get a close approximation.

Works for me until Honda updates software to provide that info on the screen...or a dependable app is developed...lol

Good luck with the app development.

5. ClarityDoc

ClarityDoc Active Member

Ironic that you selected Hurdlr primarily because it's free and want to charge for your app. Good luck!

6. StickWare

StickWare Active Member

Ha ha! Well. I wasn’t going to pay for a mileage app I won’t use much. Most charge a monthly fee.

I might do free version too with ads.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Odobo

Odobo Active Member

Until you can tap into the obc and extract the trip mileage, it really doesn't worth the effort since it will rely too much on the driver to remember to do it and so it wont be accurate.

Prime logs all the info... EV miles, miles/kWh, mpg etc but there is no way to extract it. Clarity probably have those info too but there isn't a interface to display all those info like the Prime does and you can extract it either. Maybe if you hack the head unit you will be able to access the info and extract them to a USB but until then.... Don't waste your time

9. Hi.Ho.Silver

Hi.Ho.Silver Active Member

I have an engine hour meter installed to track ICE use.

10. JRosen

JRosen New Member

The Kia/Hyundai PHEV has much better data on the dashboard. I don’t really care too much in the car, but I’d really like to have this kind of data in the Hondalink app but I am not expecting much from them. app stoped updating odometer last week, just shy of 1000 miles.