Wrong HV range

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Kyle, Jan 17, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Jarome

Jarome New Member

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

Okay, I'll bite: What is "acoustic glass"?

4. Jarome

Jarome New Member

drop a window part way. You will see that there are two panes of glass laminated together with a sound-absorbing (or blocking) layer in the center.

5. kent335

kent335 Member

There is a solution to the HV mileage error. Just look at the gas gauge and get gas when you are low.

jorgie393 likes this.
  6. weave

weave Active Member

There's no crime in turning on your turn signal and let it indicate a few seconds before moving over. I know the American way is to move and indicate at the same time because some jerk will accelerate to cut you off if they see you indicating.

But another work around I use is just to push the button on the stalk and look for a few seconds before indicating, then turn it off when I'm done. I've gotten quite used to that.

Also as far as the map updates are concerned, I read somewhere it's five years, not five updates. Hopefully that's correct. Regardless, the map update site says "We are sorry for the inconvenience, the 2019 map update has been delayed until Sept. 15, 2018. Please check back then." so I'll just wait to do my first update until then -- just in case, and because it takes so long and is a pain.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

The SB says it’s for all VINs. If you get increasing higher and unreasonable HV range estimates every time you fill up w gas, then the update has not been applied yet.
    Here is a copy of the Service Bulletin that was shared on the forum.

Attached Files:

9. Dwight Roberts

Dwight Roberts New Member

New member here. My dealer told me Imthere was no service bulletin update on their end for my vin.

10. lordsutch

lordsutch Member

According to Garmin's FAQ: "Do I have to pay for map updates? For Honda vehicles with Garmin navigation, a user gets 5 years of map updates at no cost."

KentuckyKen likes this.
  11. KentuckyKen

Wow. Could this be the first time a dealer actually knew something about the Clarity? I wish Honda would write stuff like this down so we wouldn’t have to search all over the net to find it.
    I stand and drive corrected. Thanks
    “It takes a village to correct an idiot”

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. KentuckyKen

Have him search by the Service Bulletin number not your VIN number. The SB will pull up and indicate that it’s for all VINs. At least in the US. I gave my service advisor use the SB number (he hadn’t heard about it) and it pulled right up. He had it installed and plugs put in in under an hour.
    18-069 and 18-079
    Let us know what they say and do next.

Dwight Roberts likes this.
  14. Kevin Wagoner

Kevin Wagoner New Member

You'll be happy to know that my Clarity Plug-In was serviced using both the 18-069 and 18-079 bulletins. I took the car in because all of the electronic safety features disabled themselves and threw warnings on the driver's screen at 800 miles and then again at 3,600 miles. There was not a software update available the first time I took the car in, but the dealership applied a software reset which bought me more time. The new service updates appear to have fixed the safety features, but now the HV distance reads 1000 miles! This value does not change whether in EV or HV mode. I think Honda software quality assurance needs a bit of work. Clarity.jpg

jdonalds and Dwight Roberts like this.
  15. Kevin Wagoner

Kevin Wagoner New Member

From the Honda Clarity Forum (Honda's forum), the guidance is that the HV mileage recalculates when the gas tank is filled. If you are like me and use very little HV, the recalculation will always hit the max at 1,000 mpg. I'm hopeful that Honda will come up with a way to exclude EV mileages when calculating HV range. Wishful thinking...? Oh, and my HV range hasn't moved from 1,000 miles in all these weeks gone by.

16. KentuckyKen

If your HV range estimate did not go down at the time the dealer applied the 18-069 Service Bulletin then I don’t think it was applied correctly or in its entirety. Someone posted that they had to go back and dealer found they did not complete the installation. It should immediately go down to something like 357 if the tank is full at time of update. Sounds like yours didn’t “take”. I’d return to dealer and have them reinstall.

17. rickyrsx

rickyrsx Active Member

My car did something weird this week. My HV range was 610km and then one day, it just started to drop. When I was driving the car, I was confused so I made sure I was in EV mode. I doubled and triple checked to confirm EV mode but the HV range just kept on dropping. It finally stopped at 561km and hasn't changed in 2 days. I drive almost exclusively in EV mode and I've only filled up once in 3 months and I have driven over 4000kms. Do I have any reason to be concerned? Is this a case of the car "recalibrating" the HV range?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  18. Kevin Wagoner

Kevin Wagoner New Member

Thanks. I need to take it in on another issue as well (engine races in HV mode at low speed/coasting). Best, Kevin

19. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

If you haven't yet, search for "angry bees" on the forum for info about the engine racing.

20. ZedFez

ZedFez Member

Got the range issue service bulletin taken care of last Friday. So far so good. Nice to have a realistic range available for a change!

21. KentuckyKen

That’s about a 58 mile drop for us Metrically challenged Southern gentlemen. To help understand what went on I have to ask:
    Did your driving conditions change?
    Over what period of time did the drop of occur? Was it all on one trip or spread over several trips?
    Did the power meter turn white from its normal blue?
    Did the ICE come on?
    Did it burn any gas?
    Thanks.

22. rickyrsx

rickyrsx Active Member

Driving conditions did not change, it was all city driving.
    The drop happened all in one trip, over 20 minutes or so.
    The power meter stayed entirely in the blue range.
    I didn't hear the ICE come on. I turned off the audio system to even make sure.
    The gas meter hasn't changed. It still reads full.
    Thanks Ken!

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

23. MARTIN HAMANN

MARTIN HAMANN New Member

I came here specifically for the HV range issue. 900 miles on my car. Purchased 15 days ago. I had approximately 280 miles of range for HV mode. Then, i filled it up...which took 1.6 gallons of gasoline. The range after fill-up was....280 miles. It never changed. Ive driven it ~ 200 miles since, and maybe 5 of those miles were non-EV mode. I was thinking, perhaps Honda calculates average mpg for HV mode ONLY when using gasoline. For instance, i wanted to see how fast it was in sports mode, so I accelerated briskly the other day to about 70mph. I then switched back to EV mode. Maybe it calculated that average MPG ONLY while accelerating fast and tried to predict the range based on my driving pattern in sport mode? Previously, i used HV mode when driving 160 miles round trip, day 2 of getting my car...and it was 90% highway miles. I averaged around 48 mpg at 75 mph.

Perhaps my low range is due to the few sport mode accelerations...which would have effected my range, had i kept driving the same pattern? Confused really...