Kona EV vs Model X P90DL

Discussion in 'General' started by JyChevyVolt, Jul 25, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. JyChevyVolt

JyChevyVolt Active Member

It doesn't work that way. DCFC is charged by the minute. No one sitting there paying 20 cent a minute to get only 22kW. Most people will charge up to 57% and leave.

The Kona EV will deliver 48kW up to 74%.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. David Green

David Green Well-Known Member

Where are you going on your 1K mile trip? Lets look at charging infrastructure..

4. David Green

You might be speaking of your charging priorities... I never look at gas prices when I fuel up, I go where it is convenient when I need gas. I am a time pincher, not a penny pincher.

5. JyChevyVolt

Paying $16 for 166 miles is not gonna fly for most people.

6. David Green

I honestly do not even pay attention.... I need fuel, and someone has it, I need to pay what they want for it... No reason to look and worry about it...

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. JyChevyVolt

That's just you.

On Electrify America the Bolt will cost $29 for 166 miles.

I'll just drive a gas car at those prices.

9. David Green

Show me your calculations for that price on Electrify America? Thats great... I want EV's road charging to be pricey, so there are not lurkers hanging out there for free, when I come in to charge...

10. Obviously, pricing can be a tricky path to walk. Too cheap and the owner of the network loses money, and maybe attracts unnecessary usage. Too high and some you potentially slow the transition to electric, as many people's transport decision is financially based.

David Green likes this.
  11. David Green

Exactly right... I would rather see EA start a bit on the high side, as I am hoping this is a very profitable operation with a premium product, that way it continues to grow and expand. Since VW gets to start the network using house money this could turn into a very strong subsidiary for them, especially in light of their massive commitment to building BEV's...

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Hi,

Don't forget to include the charging networks:
    For any sort of highway driving beyond the battery range, an EV has to use a fast DC charging network:
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/buying-an-ev-and-charging-network.2750/

Given 90% of our EV miles are local on home and free chargers:
    I don't get too worked up over out of town charging rates. They are a lot cheaper than property taxes, tags, and insurance on a second car or rental dedicated to highway travel.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  14. JyChevyVolt

Why charging duration matter? You are basically a captive audience while charging. Some charging spots have nothing ne
    $1 connection fee plus $0.35 per minute.

15. David Green

Is that price for any plug? So the Nissan plug costs the same as the 350KW?

16. ekutter

ekutter Member

Except 95% of the time I'm paying closer to 2.5c / mile. Happy to pay a premium for those 4 or 5 times a year I need to charge away from home. But since neither the Kona nor the Bolt would work for a road trip for me, this is a non issue.

David, route will be from Bend, OR to Scottsdale, AZ. Using the Tesla planner, it'd be about 24hours of driving plus charging, depending on Tesla model (model 3 was my only consideration vs the Bolt I ordered). Can't find a decent route for the Bolt (or Kona). Maybe you know the tools better. Even just making a trip to Portland will be interesting. I can get there easily in the Bolt, but the choices for fast chargers for getting home are hit and miss. Many of them seem to be out of order, and if they are working, there are only going to be one or two plugs so could have to wait. That's where Tesla with their super chargers makes road trips doable around here. So instead, I'll hold my nose after my Volvo XC60 T8 drains its battery 20 miles out of town and uses gas the rest of the way when we go to Scottsdale.

bwilson4web likes this.
  17. David Green

Taking either a Bolt or Model 3 on a trip like that is something you would only do to have an "experience". EV's no matter which one you buy are not time efficient for a long road trip. I would never plan to go further then 2 charge stops from home, as I am tool old (and family is too impatient) to sit at changers and make youtube videos.

18. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I used PlugShare tweaked for a Model 3 with 299 mi (maximum in PlugShare) with SuperCharger and CHAdeMO. It shows 1,125 mi and within the Model 3 range. Add charging time, and I would probably consider getting a room midway to take a nap ... or nap in the car at chargers.

I repeated it using the Bolt specs and it would not work along the direct path. It might be possible driving West and trying to go through California but it would not be pleasant. Same for the I-Pace and Kona. A massive fail because they can not use the SuperCharger and CHAdeMO networks.

Bob Wilson

19. David Green

It appears Electrify America will have that route open in Phase 1, just in time for next summer. Electrify America.png

20. ekutter

ekutter Member

That's what I figured. I never really even considered it in the Bolt, although a fun excercise. Our plans are to spend the month of February down there like we did this year and it would have been really nice to have a BEV while there. This past February we did it with the Volvo almost brand new. Here in Bend, 20 miles per charge covers most of our driving. Down there, it's hard to go anywhere under 20 miles round trip and our daily charger was just 110v. With the impatience of the wife, even the best Tesla wouldn't quite do it for us yet. But by the time we are ready to trade in the Volvo, both the BEV options and the charging infrastructure will make going 100% BEV an easy choice.

21. David Green

Going down in February? Golf or Baseball?

22. ekutter

ekutter Member

woohoo! Thanks.

23. ekutter

ekutter Member

Biking/running for me. Golf for the wife. Surprising amount of great technical trails all around Phoenix.

David Green likes this.