Sergio Marchionne passed away

Discussion in 'Fiat/Chrysler' started by Cypress, Jul 25, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Cypress

Cypress Active Member

PNW
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Jack

Jack Administrator

As far I know, he was very much in favor of electric cars, as well as autonomous cars. FCA plays both sides (Waymo Electric Vans and Dodge Demon)

I definitely think we will see more EVs in the near future from FCA

4. Cypress

Cypress Active Member

PNW
    https://electrek.co/2016/04/15/fiat-chrysler-ceo-tesla-model-3-musk-profit/

“The FCA executive is known to make controversial comments on electric vehicles. He once pleaded customers not to buy his Fiat 500e because he was losing money off it. He generally recognizes the need for zero-emission vehicles, but he has been publicly skeptical about any business case for EVs.”

5. Jack

Jack Administrator

So he was not against EVs, he was against losing money. Sounds like a good CEO

6. Scramjett

Scramjett Member

My understanding is that he was against full EVs but completely ok with PHEVs. It all has to do with the fact that OEMs only make engines these days and EVs would take the last thing that they actually make away from them. Personally, I’d argue that they did that to themselves by outsourcing the other major parts rather than keeping it in house. But, you know, hindsight is 20-20.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Jack

Jack Administrator

Kinda... yes he told people not to buy the Fiat 500e because it made them lose money, but he also recognized that the best path to ev profitability is high value, luxury models. This is why he said something like... if there's an electric supercar to be made, Ferrari will build it. PHEVs are easiest to manufacture, but to make money FCA will probably invest in the development of luxury models that are fully electric.