Multiple System Warnings

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by K8QM, Mar 31, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Wayne Wilson

Wayne Wilson Member

I was just in for Honda service on an unrelated issue (fixing some loose trim) and asked for 18-079 the check light SB and 18-069 the HV range SB. They applied 18-069. They could not (or would not) install 18-079 claiming that their diagnostic system tells them my VIN number is not in the list for it. To be fair, I have never had the problem of engine check light, but based on what others have said, it seemed like just a matter of time. The HV range issue just cropped up after 2,000 miles after all.

Texas22Step likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. pinrut

pinrut New Member

I was thinking the 12v system could be charged from the high voltage "big" batteries. It wouldn't be difficult to step down the voltage, and lead acid batteries, like the one used in the 12v system don't like being discharged.

Although it may be possible that the 12v system is only charged by regen and the generator on the gas motor and while the big batteries are plugged in. But even if the 12v were charged by the gas motor generator, it would probably still have to be stepped down since the "big" batteries are high voltage.

But I think you are correct that there is no alternator on the car, it would be redundant on this vehicle.

Although with only "47" miles of range it is possible that the 12v system could survive that long without being charged.

Does anyone know how the AC system is operated? I think 47 miles worth of driving with AC on being solely powered by the 12v system would drain the battery to the point of failure unless it were powered by the "big" batteries?

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Yes, a DC-to-DC converter charges the 12-volt battery from the "big" batteries.

pinrut likes this.
  5. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Yep, no separate alternator or starter and no fan belts so bonus of reduced maintenance costs. The starter/generator takes care of everything and as Insightman points out, a DC-DC converter charges the 12v battery from the 300+v HV battery.
    I just checked my 12v battery. I’m in a power outage so what else is there to do? After normal EV driving, 36 hours since last charge, and 24 hr since last drive, it’s at 12.7v. I’ve never had any warning lights come on.

pinrut likes this.
  6. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

I doubt that the AC system is running off 12 volts. My Sonata Plugin uses the traction battery.

Go look at your AC compressor. If it has an orange cable connected to it, it uses the traction battery to power the AC system.

pinrut likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

Texas22Step and pinrut like this.
  9. pinrut

pinrut New Member

10. JackH

JackH Member

I also went in for service today but specifically for the SB 18-069 Range and the SB 18-079 Multiple Warnings. Got them both. The Range issue is obvious and was applied with no questions. For the Multiple Warnings 18-079 the system scan must show codes. Mine were P0010 & P100C.

If the system doesn't show codes then they will not apply ANY updated software.

Also, the Service Manager said the 18-079 update is a "rolling update" that he said means Honda is not really sure if this is the final fix.

Jack

Texas22Step and pinrut like this.
  11. insightman

pinrut likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. vicw

vicw Active Member

That is fascinating. I don't think I've seen any comments indicating that only certain VIN number groups are affected by 18-079.

Does anyone in the forum know if there is a defined group of VIN numbers that are affected? I'm wondering also if that might mean that 18-079 will be installed on the VIN numbers outside of the affected group, as a lower priority item, only when there is another repair activity?

When I talked with Honda service a few days ago, they recommended that I wait for my first tire rotation/oil change, unless I actually experience the problem, but there was no mention of the VIN number as a factor.

14. clean.air@CA

clean.air@CA New Member

I had my first similar multiple systems warning yesterday at 1,800 miles. It all cleared up except for the "Check Engine" icon while waiting for three hours for the tow truck sent by the Honda Roadside Assistance call center. I was able to drive it myself to the dealership at 8pm. The service person just called to inform me that the only codes they were able to retrieve were for (1) Electronic Control Module failure and (2) Stability Assist Computer failure. They reset everything and put in 30 miles for a test drive. I am getting to pick it up. I hope this will be the last time this will come up. But reading through the thread, it looks like it is bound to happen again until Honda will find a fix of some kind to this Multiple Systems Warning episodes. Nonetheless, I still believe this is an excellent car for the price. Not to mention the bells and whistles that come with it even for the base trim! I'm not giving up on Honda yet. After all, my home can be mistaken for a Honda dealership :) Thought I'll share my experience with everyone.

15. K8QM

K8QM Active Member

I started the thread but have not had it happen since that first time - nearly 12,000 on the Clarity now.

geo

clean.air@CA likes this.
  16. insightman

Did you check with your dealer to see if your serial number Clarity is one that should get the "rolling update" for the multiple systems warning? (We haven't been back to our dealer since we bought the car in December. No, wait, since I bought the accessory wheels last Spring.)

17. weave

weave Active Member

So sounds like I need to wait for the multiple warning light issue before I get 18-079. So my question is, if everything lights up like that, can you still drive it OK? My dealer is 60 miles away (ah, rural world problems)

18. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

2nd occurrence today. First was at about 8,000 miles. This time just over 11,000 miles. The problem has persisted all day with the car being driven 3 times.

I'll be checking with local Honda to see if the 18-079 is listed for my car.

We also received warning messages on our phones from the HondaLink app.

Johnhaydev likes this.
  19. K8QM

K8QM Active Member

Yes, it's drivable although if I recall correctly a number of functions like cruise don't work and you can't change modes (HV, Econ, Sport, etc). I tossed a small wrench in the trunk well so that if it happens to me on a trip I can disconnect-reconnect the battery and get on with my life although I will try to get the firmware update at some point when going in (presumably for the 3rd A01 service).

geo

weave likes this.
  20. K8QM

K8QM Active Member

I saw the message about the new bulletin a day or two after being at the dealer for the second A01 service and HV range update so I'm not interested in another visit this soon. If we happen to have the issue again I will certainly take it in for the update.

geo

Johnhaydev likes this.
  21. JackH

JackH Member

You will probably have the problem again. However, since you have had it once, the error codes are already stored in the computer. They should be able to apply the update 18-079.

22. K8QM

K8QM Active Member

It's been something over 8,000 miles since it happened so I'm not wringing my hands or pacing the floor worrying about it.

geo

23. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Was at the dealer today because they did not put in the 4 body plugs that reduce road noise. While I was waiting to see if they were in stock or has to be ordered, I had the sevice mgr look up SB 18-079. It came up in his Honda computer that the update is for All VIN #s. He also told me the updates are like Apple iPhone updates in that every successive update brings the car up to the current level so there is no skipping an update so to speak.

They had to order my body plugs from a warehouse in Cali. Some body was napping during the pre delivery inspection evidently.

SupraTT and K8QM like this.