Orderable--in the UK-- 12-jun

Discussion in 'Aceman' started by Qisl, Apr 24, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Qisl

Qisl Active Member

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. DisgruntledSanta

DisgruntledSanta Active Member

Here's to hoping it comes to the states!

4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

A shame no barn doors like the Clubman, but I think it's looking great! The tail lights look so much better than the Cooper.

Most likely my next MINI if it becomes available.

5. DisgruntledSanta

DisgruntledSanta Active Member

Agreed, our Cooper is great, but 2 doors and 4 seats will be a bit challenging with 2 (or more) kiddos. The Aceman is on our list to look at in the coming, assuming it comes stateside, which it seems quite likely it will...

The only thing we are concerned about with the Aceman is that cargo space. We love the size of the car, but only 2 additional cubic feet is slightly concerning, especially when comparing to other vehicles of the same size (though they are ICE... blech, never again) which have over 50% more cargo volume than the Aceman. We haven't had too much struggle with cargo yet - though certainly have had to be cognoscente of it - but if we want to go camping with all the kiddos and the pooch, that may become a struggle.

Hopefully that doesn't force us to the Countryman... that thing is 'uuuuge, and weirdly still has less cargo space than some of the vehicles in the Aceman's size class (e.g. new countryman has 16ft3 of storage, Honda Fit has 21ft3; a more direct comparison for the Countryman is the Honda CRV has nearly 2.5x the cargo space at 39ft3 compared to the Countryman).

I wish they would make a the Clubman an EV. that would have been - literally - perfect. Low, reasonable length, 4 doors, lots of cargo space (more than the new Countryman???). Win all around. No one is making wagons or anything that size in an EV though - that I am aware of. heck, no one is making wagons ICE or otherwise. ugh.

6. Qisl

Qisl Active Member

Given the 100% tariff on EVs coming from China, we won't see the Aceman until they are manufactured in the Oxford plant, 2026 at the soonest.

The Countryman is and isn't huge. When you compare its specs with a Subaru Crosstrek:
    • the Countryman is shorter, but stands a little taller
    • a couple of inches more headroom, and a couple of inches less legroom (front seat)
    • slightly more cargo / max cargo space than the Crosstrek
    • sits less than an inch closer to the ground than a Crosstrek.
    So, compared to my Cooper, it is indeed big, but I predict that the Countryman will be adopted by former Subaru owners (including me).

I think the Subaru Outback could be called a station wagon.

Now, if only MINI would create an electric MINI pickup truck for all the folks pining for a Subaru Baja or Brat...

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

The Aceman is essentially exactly that, if I understand correctly. It's apparently built on the J01 platform, so it's going to be a J01 with four doors and more cargo space. As for the space, We used to take two 50+ pound dogs, two adults, and all our luggage (nothing on the roof!) for a week-long road trip in our R55 Clubman. The F54 Clubman is even bigger, and the Aceman is supposedly comparable in size to the current F60 Countryman so it should have a lot of cargo space.