Clear coating windshield and sun roof glass

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by bwilson4web, Apr 23, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I'm posting from a motel in Nashville as Auto Amor is applying a clear film to the windshield and front half of the sunroof glass. In the first five years, both the windshield and front of sun roof had suffered road debris, stone impacts.

Once cracked, air and water get in and the cracks grow. The clear coat film blocks air and water access so the small impact area remains insignificant.

Satellite Autoglass replaced the windshield for $1,200 and after camera calibration, announced they are no longer in the Tesla windshield replacement business. Furthermore, Tesla is going to a two camera system instead of the past three camera configuration. This means future windshield repairs may be impossibly expensive if available at all.

Each glass replacement cost a little over $1,000. I'm getting both windshield and front of the sun roof covered for just under $1,000. The glass clear coat is a 'cost avoidance' prophylactic.

Bob Wilson

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

What film are they using, Bob - ExoShield or the new Xpel product? I added "full glass replacement" to my insurance policy for about $20/year instead - started doing that with my Honda Clarity because the windshield cost $1275 and had to be shipped from Japan...

bwilson4web likes this.
  4. bwilson4web

I'm using Auto Amor in Nashville:

BRAY is an exterior windshield protection film designed to significantly reduce the risk of replacing expensive windshields, especially those with cameras and sensors. The film guards your windshield against scratches, chips, cracks, and even stains so that your vision remains unobstructed. WIth a TPU based plastic, rocks are able to bounce off of your windshield instead of crack or chip into the glass, saving you from the hassle of replacement and the diminishing resale value from cutting out the factory's original (OEM) seal. The optical clarity ensures an intact look and clear visibility. The windshield is one of the most vulnerable parts of your vehicle. Protect it with the best technology on the market! Let's be honest, you have better things to do than worry about a broken windshield.

They already warned me about keeping the windshield wipers free from debris.

Bob Wilson

5. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

I didn't know about this product - but I saw that that shop installed Xpel products. The Bray website says that it "will need to be replaced regularly to maintain ultimate visibility". They sell the precut windshield cover for a Model 3 for $299.

6. bwilson4web

I took some images to compare: film coated windshield; air #1, air #2, and; original side window:

[​IMG]
    Left to right: coated windshield; air #1, air #2, and; uncoated side window. Because white carries the maximum spectrum, there are slightly overlapped samples on the lower left. Even magnified to seeing pixels, my old man eyes sees very little difference. The two air samples seem a little brighter but I don't see a definable difference with the iPhone7 camera.

Without sunglasses, the reflected light from other vehicles looks like this through the coated windshield:

[​IMG]
    The iPhone 7 camera focused on the "A" pillar so pixel examination of the reflected sunlight is out of focus. But this shows this is effectively, a clear film coating.

Not shown, I wear polarized sun glasses and noticed reflected sunlight from on coming traffic has a blueish tint which changes with head tilt. Speculation, the gap between the clear film and windshield may have polarizing filter characteristics stronger in the red side of the spectrum. Taking the sun glasses off, the reflections are almost painfully bright.

One desirable effect is I was more relaxed driving back even if there were semi-trailer or construction dump truck traveling ahead. In the past, I would sometimes hear 'sand' impacts which always suggested a 'pebble' might show up too. With the protective film, my fear of window cracking, pebbles has significantly reduced. Today's Full Self Driving (FSD) does not share my sensitivity to windshield cracking debris.

Bob Wilson

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bwilson4web

Thickness of coating:
    [​IMG]
    • ~0.0058 inch
    • ~0.14732 mm
    Bob Wilson