False "charge socket flap open" message is back!

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Teddydogno1, Apr 11, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Teddydogno1

Teddydogno1 Active Member

A couple week ago, Sparky started having this message again. I happened once over the winter when we had a few days of 20 deg F weather, then went away. But it is back to stay now.

We had this problem last year as well and they replaced the whole door assembly (under warranty). Now with this happening again, it seems like they only last a year or so in my case. Not very happy as the next "scheduled" failure would be after warranty expiration. Anyone else have this as a repeating problem? That is, had it fail more than once already?

Sparky is a 2022 base model with about 28.5k miles now. Warranty will expire by miles or time next November.

I have not yet talked to the dealer about this, but certainly will bring up the repeat failures and push for extended coverage on it. Was hoping they would redesign or something. Or at LEAST make the message go away after being dismissed. 'Cuz it comes back about 30 seconds after being acknowledged EACH TIME. What possible purpose could repeat polling of the state of flap serve?

Rob

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SJA

SJA Member

I see a lot of people having this issue. Hopefully if you have to have it replaced twice and it happens again when your out of warranty they should still cover it. Seems like Mini needs a TSB recall for it. Sucks the replacement hasn't lasted. Out of curiosity do you live in a colder winter climate location and do you park/charge outside? I am curious to see if this is a more cold climate issue rather than people who might live in warmer climates like CA, NV, AZ for example.

4. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Similarly, I live in a cold climate with excessive road salt use, but generally park and charge indoors. Curious if it's climate- or conditions-related, or poor design. I've noticed the unlocking "click" is getting louder.

5. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

I'm thinking that this is an interior software problem, not necessarily a flap problem. I would say that I always park outside summer and winter, rain and shine, but I don't want to put a curse on myself.

SameGuy likes this.
  6. ghost

ghost Active Member

I'm in southern CA and had this problem once so far. Currently at 36k mi.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Teddydogno1

Teddydogno1 Active Member

I'm in Washington, so it is fairly mild, but cold and wet in the winter--upper 30s - 40s usually with some sub-freezing temps. Very little snow or ice, but it does happen. And Sparky does live in the driveway outside.

rob

9. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Well-Known Member

Mini changed mine 2-3 Months ago and it's popped back up recently as well. When I scan tested nothing popped up and Data detected the charge port switch as opening/closing. It's either a software issue or the resistance set point the body module is looking for is too sensitive. Maybe code it out or jump the connector at this point

It happens to me after I wash the car or after it rains. The car has been inside all weekend and I bet tomorrow morning there will be no message

10. OneEV

OneEV Member Subscriber

have you considered just turning off the warning, I mean it's just nusisance warning nothing important.

I use ObD 11 to disable a few thngs and enable others in my ID 4 (I disabled my seat belt chime , I wear it all the time I dont need a nagging chime I also enabled Navigation touch while driving, very frustrating going down the highway and not able to use 2 fingers ot zoom out or in on a destination . There is common sense usage and then idiots trying to play games movies etc. )

anyway I see OBD 11 cover the Mini as well.

upload_2024-4-14_19-29-0.png

11. MrSnrub

Nothing in BimmerCode that I can find. Might be in expertmode.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. OneEV

OneEV Member Subscriber

are you saying you cnat find it in "one click " solutions ?

The Chime IS coded ..just a matter of finding it.

14. SameGuy

YUL
    The seatbelt chime isn't the topic of the thread.

15. OneEV

OneEV Member Subscriber

I did a quick search..

upload_2024-4-14_20-4-28.png

I dont see where he answered anyones question as to where the coding is in OBD 11 ...but if garenteed it is in there.. and even if it is in long coding it will be easy to turn off. ALWAYS make aback up copy first. I f I were doing it I would simple change the first 2 numbers in the long code (change it to anything) once I find it. That would make the code invalid thus the chime wont chime ;)

16. OneEV

OneEV Member Subscriber

I waa just posting what I did with OBD 11.

Read my entire post

17. MrSnrub

Seatbelt chime and door ajar warning aren't on the same controller. It will likely be under expert mode just like the weight sensor settings on the seat. Any of the critical "safety" items are in expert. The flap warning is a message in the dash, not a chime

I'd rather have it fixed problem TBH vs a bandaid solution and figure out the exact root cause. To me its a set point target issue

CuriousGeorge likes this.
  18. OneEV

OneEV Member Subscriber

JKust spend the money run it into the dealer and have it fixed then. My view on things this minor is simply eliminate them . It's justa stupid chime alerating you to the great danger that you left your charge door flap open lol.

just trying to help as you WERE asking for help

19. MrSnrub

VW Coding options are different. And spend what money? My car has a warranty

20. OneEV

OneEV Member Subscriber

I understand how little things like that can drive you nuts. My wifes computer went out in her 2013 Buick Regal part of it was corrupted so i had most of it mirrrored imaged on a new one and replaced it. The car ran great but still displayed a warning light on the screen, it was a error message that was initiated from the original computer and there is no way to shut it off with any diagnostic tool . That stupid light drove her nuts and she just coulndt come to grps with the fact that it is impossible to turn off. I ened up putting a piece of electrical tape over the warning light.. out of sight out of mind. wife hasnt compalined since.

21. SameGuy

YUL
    I did. This is the MINI Cooper SE forum.

22. OneEV

OneEV Member Subscriber

Warranty ? so whats the problem ? Oh I see ..they "fixed" it once and it's back .. so in other words warranty FIX is useless. So basically there is no Fix they simply bandaid it witha new one that has the same issue. They arent really fixing anythng.

If oyu want to "Fix it" .. then at least use the right bandaid ..jjust go into OBD and turn it off. There is no mechanical fix for it

23. SameGuy

YUL
    Smh.

CuriousGeorge likes this.