ICE vs. EV poll

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by CuriousGeorge, Apr 10, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

Would you go back to ICE?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  2. No

23 vote(s)
    79.3%
  3. Maybe

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  1. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

Question that occurred to me personally after reading an article about EV/brand loyalty.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ghost

ghost Active Member

I love the instant torque of EVs, but I also miss shifting/downshifting. Regen braking w multiple levels almost simulates this, but not really.

If I don't get another EV next car, I'm going to get an ICE Cayman.

4. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

For Toyota drivers, I will say the bz4x was terrible and they should go back to hybrid ICE.

SameGuy likes this.
  5. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

After getting my SE, I replaced my Clubman and F-350 with a F-150 Lightning (I need a truck). Living ICE-free has been extremely liberating, and public charging options get easier and easier even though I charge at home 99% of the time.

revorg, MichaelC and SameGuy like this.
  6. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    I could see myself with a Rivian T as a "lifestyle vehicle." Haven't seen many yet, though the local sales and service center is set to open by summer. Charged next to one just before totality in Plattsburgh, NY, on Monday.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. teslarati97

There aren't many happy face EVs to choose from. I just hope Rivian changes the R1 rear quarter panel design so it's less cost prohibitive to repair.

SameGuy likes this.
  9. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

I like driving go carts. I haven't been able to let go of my 128i. If either the SE or 128i had to go I would let the SE go. My wife on the other hand does not want to drive a manual anymore. If one had to go it would be the 128i so she would have an auto for when her SUV is down.

I told our daughter I would give her the 128i when she graduates college. In a year she will decide if she wants my BMW or wants to keep her 2010 manual base Cooper. 22 v 32 MPG local.

teslarati97 and SameGuy like this.
  10. SameGuy

YUL
    Off-topic: is anyone else unable to post pictures to the forum?

teslarati97 likes this.
  11. teslarati97

mini-cooper-se-vs-r1t-v0-kyd7uozwnd6a1-3086981544.jpg

Seems to work fine.

SameGuy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Qisl

Qisl Active Member

I could see myself replacing my Outback with the Countryman EV, particularly if the US will be imposing 10% tariffs on all imports starting in 2025. (Eg, splurge this year, and then quit spending from 2025-2029.)

goaheadbackup and SameGuy like this.
  14. SameGuy

YUL
    A 280 kB pic works, but a 4 MB gets me this:

IMG_3275.png

15. Qisl

Qisl Active Member

In fact, I just reserved one!

goaheadbackup and SameGuy like this.
  16. SameGuy

YUL
    Our 2018 Crosstrek has just 36,000 miles on it, but I could see us replacing it with a smaller (electric) crossover like the Volvo EX30.

17. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

My next car will probably be GR86, Miata RF, or BMW M240i. There aren't any new EVs that appeal to me. Maybe a hybrid like the new Prelude but we don't know enough about that car yet. It also depends on if I will be driving mainly around town like I am now, or road trips.

18. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

What about the upcoming Porsche 718 EVs (ie, Cayman/Boxster)? I'm sure they'll be expensive, but until Oxford-built MINI J01s start coming to North America, no other manufacturer seems to be interested offering in sporty EVs on this continent.

19. teslarati97

Yeah you will probably have to resize and down sample the picture. It's harder when using a phone. Otherwise you have to link and share on something like postimages.

electriceddy likes this.
  20. SameGuy

YUL
    Sorry about the continued tangent…

Yeah I'm just wondering what changed, because I've never had an issue posting pictures directly from my phone's camera roll before this week.

21. ghost

ghost Active Member

I would love one but could never afford it. If I do get a Cayman, I'm buying used. Still would like to shift it, though.

Thought about buying a used Cayman, driving it until it dies, then converting it myself. Stick a rear Tesla motor in it.

insightman likes this.
  22. Brawndo

Brawndo Member

Funny how stopping for gas suddenly feels so archaic. I'm almost positive my switch to DD EV will be permanent.

For the "fun" car, I think we have some time until manufactures really capture lightning in a bottle in the EV format. The muscle car, the 2 seat roadster, the hot hatch aren't about just performance, they're about the way they make you feel when driving (at least the good ones). Much harder task when performance is easy, sound must be synthetic, and every electric motor has the same power delivery. Until then, the fun car will be ICE.

23. Life circumstances and age are moving in on me. I have owned Miatas, Civic SIs, a Volvo P1800 and an Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider and many other less inspiring vehicles. Most have had a manual transmission until the household needed an automatic for a “new” driver. At the moment, the wonderful 2022 SE is complemented by a reasonably fun 2019 Civic EX-T (35-40 mpg). Soon, my wife and I may try to live with one vehicle. It will be difficult to part with the 2022 SE but maybe a new Countryman SE? Too large?