Buzzing sound coming from my breaker on the panel.

Discussion in 'General' started by R P, Mar 26, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Yes, that is why I was turning off my breaker. But I usually charge every few days, so decided to leave it on now. I could look up the specs, but I assume the EVSE idle time drain is very low.

Re, the BC Hydro TOU plan, how will that work? Will it just charge a lower rate at certain times? I assume it will not be able to communicate with my Grizzle, or my car. Their meters are supposed to be smart. Will they be able to tell if an EV is charging?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. They will measure the current draw using their "smart" meter, although it would be a given that an EVSE is drawing power charging an EV considering the consumption and duration.
    Picture of my setup:
    [​IMG]
    One thing I didn't mention is a good idea to have whole home power surge protection (pictured below my EVSE side of panel). In this area the power does surge/brownout at periodically and is an effective way to provide protection for all electronics (including the car if charging during an occurrence). Install it as close to the main breaker as the panel bus will allow.
    When I use the EVSE, I simply run the cord out of my old meter base location which I made an insulated hinged door covering a 4" hole (seen here and also first picture below the panel) to the right above a 20A outlet which I also installed (just in case);)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
  4. Yes, that's a pretty nice setup. Easy for you, being an electrician, but would cost me a lot, am sure.

5. Cruiser

Cruiser New Member

Impressive arrangement, but i think it is very costly