New Generation Kona EV

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by electriceddy, Dec 19, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Hi Bruce, here is a real world report which confirms your suspicion. We have had our 2024 Kona for about a week, and have just delivered our 2019 Kona to a family member in another city. So we had two Konas travelling in convoy formation. Distance was 165 km over a combination of two and four lane highways and about 10 km of stop and go traffic through a small town. Both Konas had the Climate system set to "Auto", Driver side only, and 22° Celsius. Ambient temperature was 6° C. Both were set to Level 3 regeneration. My wife drove the 2019 and I drove the new 2024, both with easy normal driving and no high speed bursts or heavy throttle overtaking. Here are the results:

The 2019 started with a 96% SOC and arrived at the 165 km destination with an SOC of 59%. Consumption for the trip was 16.1 kWh/100km.

The 2024 started with a 98% SOC and finished the the same distance with 52% SOC. Consumption was 5.8 kWh/km. (Different default settings, but converts to 17.2 kWh/100km)

So, there is a big (and disappointing) difference, not withstanding any EPA figures.

I would be interested to hear back from others to corroborate (or not) these findings.

Bruce M., Wildeyed and electriceddy like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Were you in front or is your wife just a better driver? :)

electriceddy likes this.
  4. Minor correction: 5.8km/kWh
    161 Wh/km is pretty close to 172 Wh/km. Could have even been the tire differences (brand, tread and/or pressure), pretty respectable in both cases;)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2024
  5. A new EV car might not be at its most efficient until fully broken in, after maybe 10K kms. I know new ICE cars don't get their best fuel mileage when new.

electriceddy likes this.
  6. hieronymous

hieronymous Active Member

Agreed, but the reported SoC consumption (46% v's 37%), not so much..

electriceddy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Might be a simple case of a short driving history

9. hieronymous

hieronymous Active Member

I'm thinking a couple of rounds of fully discharging/ fully charging for some extended cell balancing, is what's needed..

10. Thanks for the correction...a good case for proofreading before sending

electriceddy likes this.
  11. Could be a good point. The 2024 Kona was showing just a bit over 500 km on the odometer.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Anyone yet have the chance to use the manual battery preconditioning button?
    Supposedly don't have to use Nav to activate.
    [​IMG]
    It is in the user manual (~ page 110 infotainment-manual)-to be included with the new gen 2024 Kona EV. Or is this another "not included in N.A. market"
    Just curious as the Ioniq 5 is also supposed to have one, just wanted to verify it is a working function in the Kona EV

Last edited: Mar 17, 2024
  14. I haven't used it as I don't fast charge on public chargers but can confirm it's a working option on the touch screen.

electriceddy likes this.
  15. Congratulations on the new car! Keep an eye open for any charging anomalies and let me know if you see it under-charging or drifting downward.

16. Thanks for confirming. I was also interested to know how it is displayed as being active (maybe a red element like Ioniq 5 on the display?) and kW consumption - probably displayed on the electricity use screen.
    I am also a bit bewildered that Hyundia includes this feature while not giving an indication of the actual pack temperature. Even a dummy gauge showing hot - warm - cool - cold would make sense. More or less a basic visual guide to allow the user best time to enable.
    Oh well, one thing at a time I guess.

R P likes this.
  17. Yes, EVs should show battery/coolant temps just like ICE cars show oil and coolant temps.

18. I continue to have this weird charging behaviour where the car will not maintain an 80% charge despite being plugged in at all times. Heck, it sometimes won't even achieve the 80% preset and stops at 79%.

So far it always hits 100% when going for a full charge but, since I don't charge to 100% and leave it sitting for days I can't say whether it would also drift downward from there.

No other owners have reported this so I may be on my own here. I think I'm going to report it to my dealer in a hail Mary attempt at an answer.

19. My Ioniq 6 always says 79% after L2 charging completion. Who cares about 1%?

20. Well, me, I guess... ;)

But it's interesting to hear that it's happened to others. To my mind it's a software issue. I'd just like to see it addressed.

21. But it does not rapidly deplete and stays at 79 until I drive for a while.

22. The apparent 1% drop is explainable in that it’s a truncated 79.99% but not the approx 5% you reported a number of posts back. Is that still happening?
    You could try asking on reddit as there quite a few 2024 owners there.

HyperSmiler likes this.
  23. It's been plugged in and undriven since Monday. The initial 79% is now 76%.