Driving / Fog lights

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by ZDBRG, Mar 12, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ZDBRG

ZDBRG New Member

Anyone install fog or driving lights? My dealer wants 1600 for install + 600 for the lights, and they were discouraging (we have never done this before, we may not get it to work??!?!?)

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Do you need the dealership to do it? The SE comes with "bad weather lights" that do a decent job. The 2021 had more traditional, separate auxiliary lamps, while the face-lifted (2022+) model has a more discreet setup, using the cornering lamps to cast a wide beam to the sides of the road. If you're looking to add auxiliary driving lamps or rally-style projectors, why not just go to a garage that specializes in off-road mods?

4. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

IMG_1085.jpeg

KellyTheK likes this.
  5. ZDBRG

ZDBRG New Member

I can just try and pay someone, was looking for any hints or products that could make it easier. I usually do simple stuff myself.

KellyTheK - Nice, exactly what I am thinking, help a brother out!!!

6. ZDBRG

ZDBRG New Member

Puppethead likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

For a current MINI, just think how large the auxiliary lights would have to be to match the proprortions of the lights on that original Mini! I haven't come to grips with the wimpy looks of today's LED driving lights (despite their amazing performance). Back in 1966, I stuck a pair of gorgeous Lucas Flamethrowers on my Dad's Fiat 1500 Cabriolet. They made the car much faster!

9. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Believe me the lights you see on my bull bar a temporary LED not connected to power 4 1/2 “ they ugly I agree but the biggest I can get are and looks vintage are 6” my concern is I should get an amber lens or clear to mach front lights a chrome cans I will paint yellow .Those lights illegal in New York and only I get away not paying tickets if they are not connected to power .Any way I’m doing this for look not for any practical use.Mini SE have good lights for any road IMG_1393.jpeg IMG_1392.jpeg conditions .

insightman likes this.
  10. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

I don’t want to discourage you from installing off road lights but SE entire front is plastic is nothing there as solid frame ,metal to drill to fastened a lights .The way I did is pretty complicated to build that bull bar .Nobody is selling for Mini IMG_0518.jpeg .I try every muffler shop to band my pipes but no one was able to do bc the muffler pipes are bigger diameter and they don’t have smaller dies to do a 90’ bends.To fastened that bar I use 1x1 “ aluminum square pipe under a carriage with u bolts about 36” long on each side .On top of this I replaced a factory “carboard “ shield “protector “ with clear LEXAN for better protection and aerodynamics for better air flow .The pipes you see on my bull bar I pic up of the street as somebody disposed old kids swing with all my 90’ bends there and dimensions of pipes meeting my needs to build this .I use good quality self tapping screws on straight connections I insert smaller pipe inside is only 3 cuts and center pipe fail to fit smoothly I grind heads of screws bondo everything sending primering painting.That is a story how I pull this out.

Attached Files:

11. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Go this direction IMG_1394.jpeg IMG_1395.jpeg

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

14. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

15. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I've never had lights as bright as the brights on my SE. They put my 1966 Lucas Flamethrowers to shame, so I'd be surprised if those antiques would be deemed illegal. However, I'm sure modern auxiliary lights like the ones @JonR linked above are even brighter than my SE's LEDs, so they should be illegal to use on the road. The 6.3" Hella lights at VIP Custom Parts look great (you have to scroll a long way down, past outdated exhaust systems).

Last edited: Mar 15, 2024
    SameGuy likes this.
  16. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

The brights on my '03 S lit up the entire countryside. They reminded me of landing lights. That being said, I had to adjust the headlights on my '20 S so as not to blind oncoming drivers, and my '22 SE is almost that way. I'm still aggravated about the so-called "fog lights" on the '22. Worthless, and the switch is impossible to find.

17. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I believe it's something about "auxiliary lights" that's the criteria, not brightness. And yes, my SE's brights are amazing. I especially like when the side lighting kicks in.

insightman and SameGuy like this.