Cool Weather Impacts

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by Glenn Gore, Mar 3, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Glenn Gore

Glenn Gore Member

Last week I had to make a 100 mile trip in my 2020 long-range RWD Ioniq 5. The weather was cold with temps in the 20’s. I had 148 miles of range when I set out, which one would think would be just fine to make that trip. But when I got home I had exactly 4 miles of range and 3% left according to the car.

A week later with the temperature at 83º I set out on the exact same journey with 160 miles of range. When I got home I had used exactly 100 miles of range on the car, just as it should have been.

These two runs show the approximate 40% reduction in range because of colder weather conditions. I suppose I could have gotten better range on the cold day if my Ioniq 5 had battery pre-conditioning on it but I don’t really know if that is true or not because my car does not have battery pre-conditioning on it.

The lack of battery pre-conditioning does not only affect your range, it can make charging a grueling ordeal, limiting your car to around 25-50 kw at an Electrify America Hyper charger that supposedly can deliver 350 kw that the Ioniq 5 is capable of.

This lack of battery pre-conditioning I find to be just a killer feature lack for this car and the one thing I absolutely hate about the car. If I had known the effects of cold weather would be this bad, I probably would have bought a different EV.

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. rcarter3636

rcarter3636 Member

I understand how battery preconditioning affects your charging speed using level 3 chargers but how does it affect your range?

4. Glenn Gore

Glenn Gore Member

There is no effect on range by using Level 3 over Level 2 charging. I do 99% of my charging at home and at the end of charging the GOM predicts the same range as it does after a DCFC charge at EA or Francis, ChargePoint, etc.

The main factor by far that affects range is cold. Pull up to a “Hyper” labeled EA charger cold and instead of getting the 350 kw it is capable of, you might only get 28-50 kw the entire charge. Vehicles just don’t charge anywhere close to the maximum spec at a DCFC if they are cold. Level 2 charging is slow enough that being cold doesn’t really affect how fast the vehicle charges

5. rcarter3636

rcarter3636 Member

I am refering to your statement about the lack of battery preconditioning effecting your range. I understand how the cold affects your charging speeds.

6. Glenn Gore

Glenn Gore Member

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood. The lack of battery pre-conditioning has no effect on range. Pre-conditioning gets your battery warmed up so that it can take a charge more quickly.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Glenn, do you know if your Ionic5 has a heat pump?

9. Glenn Gore

Glenn Gore Member

Yes it does, I think all Ioniq 5’s come with heat pumps

10. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Google says (but I don't know if things have changed for 2024):
    • Canada: All trims include a heat pump
    • US: Only the top level trim includes a heat pump

11. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

This is correct, at least through 2023. It’s in the U.S. Hyundai sales info. My 2023 SEL AWD does not have a heat pump.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. JasonG

JasonG Member

I don't think that's true as I have a US Model 2023 SEL RWD and it has a heat pump. I think that changed from the 2022 to 2023 model year. When I turn the heating on, the range goes down very little (<10 miles). In my previous car (Kia Niro EV), the range was dramatically lower with the heat on as it didn't have a heat pump.

14. PriusGeek

PriusGeek Member

How can you tell if your I5 has a heat pump? I've seen all sorts of speculation, but there must be some way to inspect your vehicle to confirm / deny?

15. insightman

A Kia EV forum post from 2022 says:
    Look in your front "engine bay."
    Down behind and below the 12v battery you will some wires going into a (metal?) conduit.
    If you do have a heat pump, you will see 4 wires going into a terminal block. One of the wires is pink.
    If, like me, you do not have a heat pump, you will see only 3 wires going into the terminal block.

electriceddy likes this.
  16. PriusGeek

PriusGeek Member

Thanks for the info. It seems my 24 SEL does have 4 wires if I'm looking at the right harness. Looks like orange, blue, black and pink.

17. insightman

You're in sync with the 4th wire in pink!

18. Pictures for future reference:
    Look here:
    [​IMG]
    Check the wires, black, blue and orange (3 wires) 3X1 connector - no heat pump:
    [​IMG]
    Black, blue, orange and pink (4 wires) in a 2X2 connector - heat pump
    [​IMG]
    Location of the heat pump itself is shown here (bottom left of the motor):
    [​IMG]

Sandroad, PriusGeek and insightman like this.
  19. JasonG

JasonG Member

I didn't see any wires like that on the right side of the engine... I took these pics of the left side.

Attached Files:

20. Sandroad

Well I guess the sale literature (and therefore me) is wrong and my 2023 Ioniq 5 AWD SEL does have a heat pump. At least that seems to be the case since there are 4 wires, one of which is pink, going into the plug mentioned earlier. I keep learning good stuff from this forum!

electriceddy likes this.
  21. Sandroad

None of photos show the plug. Look way underneath the frunk cover past the rear of the 12V battery (rear meaning toward the rear of the vehicle). You'll see a vertical metal pipe with the electric plug facing the front of the vehicle. You'll need a flashlight.